PDA

View Full Version : sunday shed time

bowl-basher
8th April 2009, 08:54 PM
Hi all:wavetowel2::wavetowel2:
Managed to escape to the shed on sunday to try an idea I have had for a small vase The timber is "False Sandal wood" one of the nicest smelling timbers I have turned. the base is cast poleyster I was trying to get red and yellow swirls but finished up with vareing shades of orange. base was finished with micro pads ,burnishing cream and plastix polish the timber is sanded to 400 n/c sealer EEE and friction pollish :DSWMBO was still leaving me alone so I took a leaf out of Elisa's book and knocked up some key rings... tried the CA/BLO finish not sure I would go that way again:~
love to hear your comments
Bowl-basher

orificiam
8th April 2009, 10:46 PM
That's what I call time well spent B.B..Love theVase beautiful shape and excelent finish.
Cheers Tony.

Ed Reiss
8th April 2009, 11:49 PM
Really nice stuff that Sandlewood, BB.

Might I suggest that the transition from wood to cast polyester (which is a neat idea ! ) be more flowing (convex instead of concave) ....it seems to be too abrupt which detracts from the overall flow.

Other than that...well done:2tsup:

Ad de Crom
9th April 2009, 12:51 AM
Graham, very pretty looking vase. Never saw before sandal wood, I must say beautiful wood.
BTW, are you infected of Eliza's work, nice colection key rings, I guess she''ll be thrilled.
Ad :2tsup:

artme
9th April 2009, 08:14 AM
Lovely work all round BB.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Not only does False Sandalwood smell nice, it looks beautiful. Have turned a few pens from it myself and love it.

Rum Pig
9th April 2009, 08:22 AM
Well done Tony:2tsup:

I agree with Ed with the flow from resin to timber could have been better. But still look mighty fine:)

I like the Juniper timber in your key rings I do not think I have ever seen that before:2tsup:

bowl-basher
9th April 2009, 09:18 AM
I agree with both of you that was the hard part the polly was almost impossable to turn in close to the timber with out getting a cach and I was running out of material
Also a bit unhappy that the swirls I wanted all melded into orange mabey someone can point me in the right direction for mixing the poly

joe greiner
9th April 2009, 11:07 PM
Nice work, bb.

For a more gradual transition in the polyester, you'll probably need a more complicated mold. Carved paraffin wax could be suitable, because it won't melt until the polyester has started to cure, at which time the mold is no longer needed (more or less). If you allow for subsequent turning, the mold need not be perfectly round - almost is close enough. A quasi-cylindrical step should suffice, assuming you can translate Ed's suggestion - I couldn't.:-

If you want red and yellow swirls in a clear casting, you probably shouldn't push the swirls with toothpicks or such in the clear casting; that's probably how they got mixed. It might be better to pour thin layers of the clear, and dribble each of the red and yellow upon each clear layer, and don't touch them again. Succeeding layers might be allowed to shift the dribbles when poured over them. It will be best to do these operations all in the same day, for more integrity in the casting. Maybe one of the penturners has a better way.

Cheers,
Joe