PDA

View Full Version : Deloraine Community shed Tasmania.

Rattrap
10th April 2009, 09:33 AM
Hi guys,
I thought it was about time i posted some pics of our community shed in Deloraine Tasmania, my home away from home.
We're open from Tuesday to Friday from 9am to 2 pm, new members & visitors are always welcome. We have a full time co-ordinator with 40 years experence & some real talent in working with wood.
We have a good sized shed to work in, heres a couple of shots of the main workroom
We also have a seperate room for the really noisy machinery
As well as another room for the 2 lathes, this room is a little poky so it gets labeled the batcave. lol.
Please excuse all the mess, you wouldn't guess it but our monthly cleanup day is the first wednesday of every month! Its amazing just how fast we pig it up again!!

BobR
10th April 2009, 09:36 AM
That's one nice roomy shed - Nice collection of equipment.

Rattrap
10th April 2009, 09:43 AM
yup shes decked out really well. We are so lucky, right from the day the shed started we had a great bunch of people running the comittee with a couple of them just amazing at eeking out govt grants. Whats so amazing about the committee is that all of them work full time elsewhere & none of them ever attend the shed or get paid for the work they put in!

Bruce101
10th April 2009, 10:47 AM
Congrats on your shed. You can be proud of your achievements.

At Strathfield we certainly have the space and one day hopefully we will have similar equipment.

We are so fortunate at the moment that we have a very dedicated group who have generously donated equipment to start up the shed.

Perhaps other 'Sheds' can post some photo's and can exchange idea's.

Ruddy
11th April 2009, 03:59 PM
Congratulations Rattrap.....
Your community shed is fantastic. You have a great selection of equipment and it is a credit to your community.

Ruddy

Shedhand
18th April 2009, 04:54 PM
Where in Deloraine is it mate? I might drop down for a look next week. Is there always someone there?
Cheers
Mike

Rattrap
19th April 2009, 09:07 AM
Hi Mike, The shed is on Alveston Drive, same road as the community complex. Alveston drive is on the left as you are coming into Deloraine from Launceston, on the outskirts. The shed is on the left about half way up the street next to a kids childcare center.
We are there Tuesday to Friday, from 9am to 2 pm but we do sometimes close a bit earlier depending on how busy everyone is. Also on some Fridays we go on excursions in the community bus. This Friday we are heading up to a distillery up at Burny for a little bit of taste testing, apparently they make some really fine wiskeys.
Its a hard life but somebodys gotta do it. lol.
I'm not sure about putting phone numbers up on web sites so i'll shoot you a PM, just give us a ring before u drop in to make sure somebody is there.

Shedhand
19th April 2009, 01:37 PM
ah.. the distillery! i wuz up there a couple weeks ago. tasty drop. AND they are sponsors of the Hawks. :2tsup::2tsup:

Rattrap
19th April 2009, 01:47 PM
Sponsors for the hawks, hmmm then i'll have to make sure i wear my Saints scarf.

GO THE SAINTS!!!!!!!

Shedhand
23rd April 2009, 12:06 AM
Got off me bum today and took Mr Franklin up the road to the Deloraine Mens Shed and a really fine shed it is. Well laid out, excellent gear which includes some green machines..hehe...:D T he 5 or 6 blokes present made me and the pup feel welcome (the dog let his joy be known by crapping at the bottom of the back steps (don't worry guys I scooped it all up). A hive of activity and I'll be back.
Thanks for the tour and the welcome Ratty. :2tsup:
Cheers
Mike

echnidna
23rd April 2009, 10:13 AM
so is thjere a mensheds crawl coming up sheddie?

Shedhand
23rd April 2009, 02:05 PM
so is thjere a mensheds crawl coming up sheddie?
seems there's one at scottsdale east of launceston - near where i'm moving to - so a call there will be necessary 8)

StrathfieldMens
28th April 2009, 01:53 PM
Rattrap,

Congratulations on your shed. It certainly looks good.

You mentioned various government grants you received. Could you advise whether you you received any commonwealth money ( I apppreciate we can't receive money from your state government

If you don't want to publicly reveal your sources please email me [email protected]

Regards

Terry McCowwan

echnidna
28th April 2009, 04:00 PM
Terry, subscribe to the grants newsletter
from www.ourcommunity.com.au

Rattrap
28th April 2009, 06:46 PM
Terry i don't know exactly where the money came from. The commity handles all the funding but i'll try to remember to ask the co-ordinator at the shed tommorow, i think he has a better idea where the $$$ come from. I do know that we are somehow now connected to the local hospital thru our funding but i'll try to dig up more info for you. I've been meaning to ask about it for you anyways.

DCWheels
2nd May 2009, 11:10 PM
Fellow Sheddies, we received a grant from the Dept for Veterans Affairs through their 'Veteran and Community Grants Program' towards our Men's Shed (workshop tools, kitchen fitout for cooking classes, TV & DVD). The grant program is very detailed but there's significant funding available to successful applicants. Visit the DVA website for details: www.dva.gov.au/health/grants/

The Federal Govt has a website listing all Federal and State Govt grants programs, visit: www.grantslink.gov.au

Hope this helps.