PDA

View Full Version : ...just flew back from Perth...and boy my arms are tired...

badgaz
13th April 2009, 04:29 PM
Howdy folks

I've just got back from visiting my home city (with a couple of bits o' Jarrah...of course).
The ACT being a tad lean for range, I thought I could spend a bit of coin on some nice tools whilst over there.
I went looking for some quality unhandled chisels and was stunned that they were not being stocked by the two major retailers....all that way for nothing...I couldn't even get roughing gouge...with a handle!:((
At least the fishing was good.:2tsup:

Okay, where is the best place to source unhandled chisels in Oz? My financial master has given me the the green light to update my tools to some quality steel since I've been a good boy and my fascination with wood-turning seems to be growing stronger...man did I miss the lathe this past three weeks!

Any advice is appreciated.

regards Gazza

DJ’s Timber
13th April 2009, 04:52 PM
Jim & Irene at CWS (http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1107144957) stock a good range of P&N woodturning tools in handled and unhandled

GPW (http://gpwoodturning.sitesuitestores.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1107136726) has the Hamlet range in handled and unhandled as well

artme
13th April 2009, 05:27 PM
Major retailers, as you have discovered, are not a source of turners' stuphph.

Do as DJ says.

hughie
13th April 2009, 06:52 PM
Okay, where is the best place to source unhandled chisels in Oz? My financial master has given me the the green light to update my tools to some quality steel since I've been a good boy and my fascination with wood-turning seems to be growing stronger...man did I miss the lathe this past three weeks!
Any advice is appreciated.

well.................Ezikut tools have a special on :U

pommyphil
13th April 2009, 07:36 PM
Mcjing

INVENTOR
13th April 2009, 11:31 PM
BADGAZ, do yourself a big favour and have a look at Thompson lathe tools. Yes they are from the states, but are well worth the very minor hassle of ordering them. Doug Thompson is great to buy from, from my experience. Check any of the forums where people have bought Thompson tools if you have any concerns.

No connection with them, just a satisfied customer.

Sawdust Maker
14th April 2009, 11:32 AM
My last lot of unhandled P&N I got from vermec in Qld

also Trend Timbers have unhandled P&N

enjoy the shopping :U

artme
14th April 2009, 09:17 PM
H&F sell P&N. OK?

badgaz
14th April 2009, 10:35 PM
That's great info.
I'll spend some time on-line tonight to asses my options.

BADGAZ, do yourself a big favour and have a look at Thompson lathe tools. Yes they are from the states, but are well worth the very minor hassle of ordering them. Doug Thompson is great to buy from, from my experience.

In this current economic climate I'll be doing my level best to buy locally in Oz, even knowing I may get a better deal O/S, I think us Aussies could all gain in the long run by helping our local retailers with a little cash flow at the moment. I had a look at Thompson's website and found a helpful article on turning tool handles. Thanks for the heads-up INVENTOR.

I think I need to sit down with a pen and the phone over the weekend and do a little shopping, I'll let you guys know how I go. I have some darn nice pieces of hardwood that need a chisel stuck in the end of 'em.:;

All the best
Gazza

Sawdust Maker
16th April 2009, 04:17 PM
H&F sell P&N. OK?

Can't remember if they sell unhandled - I know I bought some handled from them a while ago :U