PDA

View Full Version : Wasted afternoon

dai sensei
13th April 2009, 08:03 PM
We are having heaps of rain here on the Gold Coast, so all my Easter plans went out the window. I settled back to 2 choices, house work or wood turning :rolleyes:

I have been working on a bowl/box for a while from Budgeroo with a Bonewood lip. I wanted a matching finial for the lid, but Bonewood is certainly not ideal for a finial (course grain and tears similar to pine), so decided today was a good opportunity to work on the finial.

On my third attemp, breaking my first couple :C, I finally got the tip finished when I found some worm holes in the bulb part. I filled them with CA, and although I was not happy with the result, kept going. When I turned the lower part, I found even more holes that I filled with a mix of sawdust/white pigment and CA. As I sanded though, even more holes are appearing, time to start again :~ (sorry about the photos).

I knew I should have done the house work :rolleyes:

mick61
13th April 2009, 08:06 PM
Great shape for finial so not a complete waste of time.
Mick

Pat
13th April 2009, 08:12 PM
Any time in the shed is NOT a waste of time!

Good looking Filial, maybe some dust/CA in a contrasting colour?

It was wet here today and all I did was clean up a mess or two and entertain the pups :)

DJ’s Timber
13th April 2009, 08:14 PM
Not a complete waste Neil, you could always dye or paint it black :think:

dai sensei
13th April 2009, 08:36 PM
It's too late for the holes around the bulb as it is polished and any attempt to refinish would break the finial at the stem. I'll keep it, the next one could be worse :-. Painting/colouring wouldn't suit this piece, but perhaps another.

orificiam
13th April 2009, 08:51 PM
Bad luck Neil Some time it doesn't pay to get out of bed.:~:~
Better luck next time.Anyway it wasn't a complete loss you got to do a bit of turning.
Cheers Tony.:)

thefixer
13th April 2009, 09:02 PM
Man! That things got more holes in it than a crumpet:D

Cheers
Shorty

terry arnold
13th April 2009, 10:43 PM
Any time spent in front a lathe is not wasted !
love the shape a shame about the holes.

Cheers Terry.

tea lady
13th April 2009, 11:20 PM
(course grain and tears similar to pine), Yes pine always makes me cry too.:q

I knew I should have done the house work :rolleyes: and house work. :bigcry:

Ed Reiss
13th April 2009, 11:50 PM
...holy wood for a Holy Easter Day. coincidence? I think not:o

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th April 2009, 01:56 AM
Not a wasted afternoon at all!

Now you know that the design looks good. :D And, as has been said, no lathe time is wasted. Frustrating, yes. Unproductive, yes. But wasted? :no:

Sawdust Maker
14th April 2009, 11:35 AM
Nice shape
Shame about the borers

bellyup
14th April 2009, 06:50 PM
You could try filling the holes with metal dust a'la TITT and make them features

dai sensei
14th April 2009, 07:12 PM
...no lathe time is wasted. Frustrating, yes. Unproductive, yes. But wasted? :no:

True, but unproductive time is wasted time for me :rolleyes:

You could try filling the holes with metal dust a'la TITT and make them features

A feature on a feature, I did think about it, but ruled it out - it's too late for the bulb part holes (or groves) anyway. The bowl itself already has a malachite filled hole that my son thinks is out of place, he suggests it should be in black, but I like it because it is different.

What do others think? Keep in mind this bowl will also eventually have three white supporting legs on the sides to make the bowl float.

artme
14th April 2009, 09:13 PM
All good practice!! and I agree with your offspring.

Ed Reiss
15th April 2009, 12:15 PM
...hmmmm, the black might have worked better, but that is subjective.

Looks to be a really nice bowl :2tsup: