PDA

View Full Version : I need a crane truck

Grumpy John
14th April 2009, 12:55 PM
There is a load of freshly cut redgum on a property development near my place. Some of the logs are much too big for me to manage so I was wondering if there is anyone out in the southern suburbs of Melbourne with a crane truck or one-tonner with a winch who might like to share a load of redgum.
The timber has been down about a week and is already starting to split so I would hope to be able to harvest some of this nice redgum ASAP.
Will post photos later.

Jim Carroll
14th April 2009, 01:07 PM
You had better give DJ a call I am sure he can help.

Grumpy John
14th April 2009, 01:11 PM
You had better give DJ a call I am sure he can help.

I've already sent him a PM :):2tsup:.

artme
14th April 2009, 09:15 PM
Young fit fella like yourself, couple of block and tackle sets and off you go!!

imdusty
14th April 2009, 11:09 PM
Your avitar is from an old record album. I can't think of the name of the group or the name of the album. It's driving me nuts. Who is it?
Thanks in advance.

robutacion
15th April 2009, 01:39 AM
Hi GJ,

Yeah, I hope you find someone quick to get those logs out of there, from what I can see and from the development stage the place is at, you're lucky that someone was kind enough to cut the tree and pile it up for someone to take it, most of the time the "dozers" just smash it and load it into trucks to have it dumped. Nice looking red too...!
Sorry that I can't be of much help to you with it!:~

Good luck

Cheers
RBTCO

Calm
15th April 2009, 06:55 AM
John be careful ou take what you prepare - i wouldnt want someone to pinch it on you?:o

cheers

Grumpy John
15th April 2009, 06:59 AM
Your avitar is from an old record album. I can't think of the name of the group or the name of the album. It's driving me nuts. Who is it?
Thanks in advance.

The band is King Crimson, the album is In The Court Of The Crimson King. I hope that eases the frustration levels :D.

Calm
15th April 2009, 07:05 AM
The band is King Crimson, the album is In The Court Of The Crimson King. I hope that eases the frustration levels :D.

And here i thought it was a photo of you, whgen you and the missus were discussing the jokes you put on the forum:p:p:D:D:doh::doh:

Big brave JOHN

Cheers

Rum Pig
15th April 2009, 08:42 AM
If you can not find anyone. Why not hire (if you do not have one)a chainsaw and cut them into smaller bits so you can man handle them.

Just a thought as I'm to far to give you the hand you really need.

robutacion
15th April 2009, 02:20 PM
John be careful ou take what you prepare - i wouldnt want someone to pinch it on you?:o

cheers

...!

DJ’s Timber
15th April 2009, 02:26 PM
Just to let everyone know, GJ and myself have organised to pick it up on Friday with the ute, trailer and turfer winch if it is still there.

Would go in the truck but is in pieces at the moment fixing an oil leak :~

imdusty
15th April 2009, 02:35 PM
Thanks, I was really having a brain f...., er, malfunction on that one.

Grumpy John
15th April 2009, 05:55 PM
Pictures of some of the smaller stuff a neighbour with a one tonner helped me get. The payback for him helping me was that he could take some for..... firewood :((:oo:. I've sealed the ends, but some of the pieces have developed cracks in the face after less than 24 hours :~. should I paint the faces with acrylic house paint to slow down the drying even more, or is it too late to do anything to stop any further splitting :??

Grumpy John
15th April 2009, 05:58 PM
And here i thought it was a photo of you, whgen you and the missus were discussing the jokes you put on the forum:p:p:D:D:doh::doh:

Big brave JOHN

Cheers

:clap::roflmao::rofl: I'll pay that one David.

DJ’s Timber
15th April 2009, 07:46 PM
I've sealed the ends, but some of the pieces have developed cracks in the face after less than 24 hours :~.
If you've seen some cracks in the face already, it won't make any difference what you do now or in the next 24 hrs, it's gunna happen regardless

robutacion
15th April 2009, 11:14 PM
If you've seen some cracks in the face already, it won't make any difference what you do now or in the next 24 hrs, it's gunna happen regardless

Yep, I agree.

Reverse those cracks is impossible, maybe void them to get any bigger or have any more starting, is the only thing that you can try, and for that, you have to "drown"/submerse that timber in soaping solution, for a few days (3 or 4 depending on thickness). I would maybe suggest that you do this immediately, after you slab/slice the other pieces, then I would put them in a large cardboard box, with wood shavings all around top & bottom. Make sure the box is protected against the weather, mainly the sun and wind. This is one of the slowest ways to start the drying process in timbers that don't particularly like to be disturbed, by becoming "stressed"! The end grain waxing/sealing, I would do it when the timber reaches about 20 to 22 % moisture content.
I use this procedure when I already know what the timber will do after cut, and this method has succeed more often than not! Maybe you want to give it a try and maybe not, up to you!:)

I once, as a kid, had a pair of shorts that looked like that fork in the pic (colour and all!:o:D)

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Ed Reiss
16th April 2009, 12:53 AM
I once, as a kid, had a pair of shorts that looked like that fork in the pic (colour and all!:o:D)

...and now they re-incarnated as a tree crotch !!!!!!:q:D:D:D

Some nice looking wood there, John:2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
16th April 2009, 10:08 AM

Gees
haven't heard that for decades

love the timber bytheway
hope it's still there tomorrow when you and DJ wander over
GJ and DJ sounds like an old 60 dance band :D

artme
16th April 2009, 11:22 AM
Pictures of some of the smaller stuff a neighbour with a one tonner helped me get. The payback for him helping me was that he could take some for..... firewood :((:oo:. I've sealed the ends, but some of the pieces have developed cracks in the face after less than 24 hours :~. should I paint the faces with acrylic house paint to slow down the drying even more, or is it too late to do anything to stop any further splitting :??

Rooly,Rooly noice!! and I hate you just a tad.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::D:D:p:p

BobL
16th April 2009, 12:19 PM

Those pieces look like women's shorts!!!!

Grumpy John
16th April 2009, 07:31 PM
Gees
haven't heard that for decades

love the timber bytheway
hope it's still there tomorrow when you and DJ wander over
GJ and DJ sounds like an old 60 dance band :D

Bad news, when I drove past tonight on the way home from work most of the big stuf fhas been taken :((:C. Oh well I got some nice pieces anyway, as long as they hold together:fingerscrossed:.

Rooly,Rooly noice!! and I hate you just a tad.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::D:D:p:p

:donthate:

Those pieces look like women's shorts!!!!

You must know some tough women if they wear timber shorts Bob.

Rum Pig
17th April 2009, 08:53 AM
:sorry2:That sucks :~
some people just do not care about the needs of our adiction, bastards:):q

Ed Reiss
17th April 2009, 12:25 PM
...and to make matters worse it'll probably go for firewood:o:C:doh:

Rum Pig
17th April 2009, 01:54 PM
Up here it would just end up as land fill:~:no::doh: