PDA

View Full Version : stand design

hughie
18th April 2009, 06:34 PM
Dug out my new lathe stand although I built it 12-18 months ago. Its for a MC1100 hence ther longish look of it. Centre height will be 1200mm or 47.25" a bit high but I prefer the extra height.

Construction is glued and screwed using laminated construction beams 240x65, 20mm plywood for the legs, 245x75 Oregon for the main cross beam stiffened up with 33mm Mdf.

The legs are hollow so I can add extra weight later if it starts to walk. I will be fitting rubber pads [ 6mm ] to each feet to try and accomodate the irregularities of the concrete floor etc.

Its off set on the cross beam to allow the sawdust,chips etc to get away more easily and closer access when turning. The cut out is not a mistake its to allow access to the holding down bolts for the lathe bed.

Slowly getting organised for the new shed thats due to be built in a couple of months.

new_guy90
18th April 2009, 07:01 PM
Dug out my new lathe stand although I built it 12-18 months ago. Its for a MC1100 hence ther longish look of it. Centre height will be 1200mm or 47.25" a bit high but I prefer the extra height.

Construction is glued and screwed using laminated construction beams 240x65, 20mm plywood for the legs, 245x75 Oregon for the main cross beam stiffened up with 33mm Mdf.

The legs are hollow so I can add extra weight later if it starts to walk. I will be fitting rubber pads [ 6mm ] to each feet to try and accomodate the irregularities of the concrete floor etc.

Its off set on the cross beam to allow the sawdust,chips etc to get away more easily and closer access when turning. The cut out is not a mistake its to allow access to the holding down bolts for the lathe bed.

Slowly getting organised for the new shed thats due to be built in a couple of months.

looking good Hughie :2tsup: are you going to give it a lick of paint? never seen a stand quite like that but defiantly on of the best i have seen, lots of room for the chips to fall good job :2tsup: make sure you show us a pic when you get the lathe on it

badgaz
18th April 2009, 09:38 PM
That's a great bench hughie.

I used upright cross beams on my bench in a similar fashion, strong and heavy. I hope in the not too distant future to bolt a lathe of quality on the top of it, but the old clunker will do this newbie until funds allow for the inevitable upgrade. My bench is bolted to the floor, but I'm wondering if I should borrow your idea and put some rubber pads under the feet and then bolt it down. I have recently added (today) a holder for my growing selection of chisels along the bottom beam at the tailstock end...including space for three Ezikut hollowers.:D

"New Shed" the two best words in the English language.:2tsup:

Regards
Gazza

Paul39
20th April 2009, 10:28 AM
Hughie,

That is a great stand.

I do like the way the chips may fall out of the way.