PDA

View Full Version : Kal McNaughton bowl saver.

Jarrahrules
20th April 2009, 10:33 PM
Does anyone know where to buy a Kal McNaughton bowl saver set at a reasonable prive. I live in Vic 2 hours east of Melbourne but with postage anywhere in Aust easy whould purchase it anywhere.

Regards
Jamie

INVENTOR
20th April 2009, 11:38 PM
Jamie, I believe there is only one Australian distributor, in Sydney. Have a look on the Kelton web site, under distributors, for details. You will notice that Kelton now make 2 different sizes of the cente saver. Standard and small, the latest versions also include a hollowing gate provision. And provision to assist in holding the cutters correctly. Only just been released. So your in luck.
Hope this helps.

brendan stemp
21st April 2009, 01:32 PM
Have you looked at the Woodcut bowl saver? Its good. Jim Carroll sells them.

rsser
21st April 2009, 04:34 PM
Here's the website for the guy Inventor mentions:

http://www.thewoodworks.com.au/site/

There are plenty of posts on this forum and other turning forums comparing the McNaughton and the Woodcut.

mkypenturner
21st April 2009, 05:09 PM
jamie i have used both the mc naughton and the woodcut bowl saver the wood cut is far more easier but limited to the size and shape the mc naughton can make so many different shapes and sizes my pic is the wood cut available from jim at carrolls oh and buy a laser with it as it takes out the guess work on the bowls
troy

rsser
21st April 2009, 05:22 PM
... and bear in mind that the McNaughton requires a min clearance btwn banjo top and lathe centre to fit the gate. The std unit wouldn't fit my VL 175 when I checked way back but specs may have changed since then.

Jarrahrules
21st April 2009, 09:22 PM
Have you looked at the Woodcut bowl saver? Its good. Jim Carroll sells them.

I have the earlier model of the wood cut and have used it three times and have timber flying around me two of these times.
So I don't like it at all. Sorry.

Regards
Jamie

Jarrahrules
21st April 2009, 09:31 PM
jamie i have used both the mc naughton and the woodcut bowl saver the wood cut is far more easier but limited to the size and shape the mc naughton can make so many different shapes and sizes my pic is the wood cut available from jim at carrolls oh and buy a laser with it as it takes out the guess work on the bowls
troy

I like the idea of the lazer. But unsure on the woodcut as i have had bad experiences.
Regards
Jamie

rsser
21st April 2009, 09:37 PM
In that case you'll need to research and practice the use of the McNaughton fairly carefully as web accounts point to a range of challenges using it. That said, if I were a production turner it would be my choice.

Jarrahrules
21st April 2009, 09:43 PM
In that case you'll need to research and practice the use of the McNaughton fairly carefully as web accounts point to a range of challenges using it. That said, if I were a production turner it would be my choice.

I like the idea of being able to choose sizes. Also I don't like wasting nice timber into shavings. I collect alot of timber and don't want to waste it.
Regards
Jamie

rsser
21st April 2009, 10:32 PM
Of course.

How many hp driving your lathe by the way?

Jarrahrules
21st April 2009, 10:36 PM
Of course.

How many hp driving your lathe by the way?

Sorry but im not sure. It is a Vicmarc VL300 short bed. I bought it a couple of years ago at the wood working show from Richard Raften. He even signed it.

Regards
Jamie

rsser
21st April 2009, 10:43 PM
Should have plenty.

For the std knives apparently 1hp is a bit of an ask but there's a technique.

Jarrahrules
21st April 2009, 10:58 PM
Should have plenty.

For the std knives apparently 1hp is a bit of an ask but there's a technique.

Thanks for your help.

Regards
Jamie

INVENTOR
22nd April 2009, 09:55 AM
Jamie, As I mentioned before, for information on the latest Kelton centre saver (Mark8 I think) look at the Kelton Site www.kelton.co.nz (http://www.kelton.co.nz) http://www.kelton.co.nz/mcnatn_syst_micro.html

And read the info. The web page needs fixing as the info you want is listed under the MICRO system. Download the pdf file.

There is also a user guide and links to plenty of resources for learning how to use it. There are 2 sizes available, but as you have a VL300 the standard ( basic post) unit would probably be the best choice. As Rsser says there is a technique as with most tools, but no shortage of info, on the web.

I believe some have set up a laser on the tools, check it out. Look for the latest model, with hollowing facilities and the adjustable rear pin.

I hope this helps.

rsser
22nd April 2009, 10:17 AM
It seems that there are 4 sizes acc to the Woodworks site. Spoiled for choice.

Course you can just select one or more blades and build your own set.

Mike Mahony from the US has a DVD on the use of the tool.

Let us know how you go.

INVENTOR
22nd April 2009, 10:38 AM
I think the sites are confused. I believe there is a basic and micro post ( eg: standard size and small size) and these accept various of the 4 different ranges of blades. eg: the micro post would fit smaller lathes and use the small and micro blades whereas the standard unit would suit larger lathes( and hence pieces) and accept the bigger blades and the smaller blades. each size range of blades consists of about 4 different shaped blades. download the M8 pdf file from the site, to check.

A bit confusing, I hope I got that correct. Just email Kelton if you need clarification.
:U

Jarrahrules
22nd April 2009, 11:03 PM
I think the sites are confused. I believe there is a basic and micro post ( eg: standard size and small size) and these accept various of the 4 different ranges of blades. eg: the micro post would fit smaller lathes and use the small and micro blades whereas the standard unit would suit larger lathes( and hence pieces) and accept the bigger blades and the smaller blades. each size range of blades consists of about 4 different shaped blades. download the M8 pdf file from the site, to check.

A bit confusing, I hope I got that correct. Just email Kelton if you need clarification.

I like the idea of the mcnaugton one and would buy the full kit as it is always the one you want is the one you don't order.
Also i run my own carpentry business so i can claim it as a business tools.

Thankyou all for the great help recieved, That is why this is such a great forum, like we are all brothers.:U

Thanks
Jamie

DJ’s Timber
22nd April 2009, 11:51 PM
Sorry but im not sure. It is a Vicmarc VL300 short bed. I bought it a couple of years ago at the wood working show from Richard Raften. He even signed it.

Regards
Jamie

VL300 of that vintage should have a 2hp from memory, so heaps of power for the McNaughton bowl saver, just make sure you adjust the pulley setting to the lower speed range which will give you the torque for them.

gtwilkins
23rd April 2009, 06:28 AM
Jamie,

A fellow by the name of robo hippy (aka Reed Grey) also has an excellent DVD on coring with the McNaughton system, I got the video when he first made it a year or so ago and it goes through everything from set-up to sharpening etc.

I only have his e-mail addy but I don't want to get him spammed to death so PM me if anyone is interested and I will pass it on.

Trevor

Jarrahrules
23rd April 2009, 10:46 PM
Jamie,

A fellow by the name of robo hippy (aka Reed Grey) also has an excellent DVD on coring with the McNaughton system, I got the video when he first made it a year or so ago and it goes through everything from set-up to sharpening etc.

I only have his e-mail addy but I don't want to get him spammed to death so PM me if anyone is interested and I will pass it on.

Trevor

Thanks Trevor PM sent.

Jarrahrules
23rd April 2009, 10:47 PM
VL300 of that vintage should have a 2hp from memory, so heaps of power for the McNaughton bowl saver, just make sure you adjust the pulley setting to the lower speed range which will give you the torque for them.

Thanks DJ i will remeber that.

Jarrahrules
23rd April 2009, 10:49 PM

Thanks i had a look at the PDF and it looks good. I will be ordering one over the weekend just have to decide which ones.

Regards
Jamie:U:U

Jarrahrules
26th April 2009, 10:29 AM
Thankyou every one for your information.

I will be ordering a new McNaughton on Monday.

Regards
Jamie:U:U:U:U:U

gtwilkins
26th April 2009, 12:42 PM
Jamie,

PM sent.

I have the Vic300s and I use the low ratio and core at 600-800 rpm in green or spalted maple, birch and alder, I am starting out with 18-20 inch stock and have no trouble.

In dry maple 5-600 rpm and I go slower and retract the tool to clear the shavings more often plus I use Pam cooking spray to lubricate the cutter. (never use it for cooking!)

Biggest thing is that the cutter has to be dead on center.

Bill Grumbine has an article on coring also:

http://www.wonderfulwood.com/articles/bowlcoring.html

Bill also has out a couple of excellent DVD's on turning that I recommend.

Trevor

Jarrahrules
26th April 2009, 08:07 PM
Jamie,

PM sent.

I have the Vic300s and I use the low ratio and core at 600-800 rpm in green or spalted maple, birch and alder, I am starting out with 18-20 inch stock and have no trouble.

In dry maple 5-600 rpm and I go slower and retract the tool to clear the shavings more often plus I use Pam cooking spray to lubricate the cutter. (never use it for cooking!)

Biggest thing is that the cutter has to be dead on center.

Bill Grumbine has an article on coring also:

http://www.wonderfulwood.com/articles/bowlcoring.html

Bill also has out a couple of excellent DVD's on turning that I recommend.

Trevor

Thanks for the info trevor.

I have sent a PM.

Regards
Jamie