PDA

View Full Version : Turning a hammer handle?possible?

glxman
22nd April 2009, 11:28 AM
Hi guys,

Is it possible to turn a hammer handle?

The father in law thinks he can do it by changing centers?

What do you think?

Regards,
Gary

BobL
22nd April 2009, 11:45 AM
The father in law thinks he can do it by changing centers?

Yep start by turning an oval handle.
There are some very fancy jigs around for oval turning but an approximate oval can be turned like this;
Start with the square profile shown.
Then, using the blue centre turn one side of the oval
Then the black centre to turn the other side
Then knock the sharp edge off with a small amount of proper centred turning - the red centre and
Finish off with a bit of sand paper.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=102990&stc=1&d=1240361151

To get the profile along the handle you have to experiment with the right amount of off and on centre turning. I have made one but have no photos of it. I do have one of some nice oval apricot handles here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=711039&postcount=22).

Ozkaban
22nd April 2009, 04:17 PM
Hi Bob,

I've not tried this though I read about this technique in a Mike Darlow book recently. This might sound like a dumb question, but how do you keep the profile the same for all three lots of turning? Or is it something that becomes obvious when you're doing it?

Cheers,
Dave

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd April 2009, 05:05 PM
When turning it should be fairly obvious; for the two off-centred steps if you turn the piece to the same visual diameter, (ie. from blurry edge to blurry edge) the profiles will automatically be the same.

Safety hint: DON'T try using calipers to measure off-centre work with the lathe running. A paper-cutout will work just as well, although only for a few uses, but it won't hurt if it catches! :wink:

glxman
22nd April 2009, 05:46 PM
You people certainly have all things sorted, much appreciated!

>Bob
Thanks for the trouble of posting the detail, I'm sure we will be able to work on that info,

Appreciate the link, an artist at work!

Regards,
Gary
PS:I can see a project for his wood turning club coming up!

Sawdust Maker
22nd April 2009, 10:08 PM
When turning it should be fairly obvious; for the two off-centred steps if you turn the piece to the same visual diameter, (ie. from blurry edge to blurry edge) the profiles will automatically be the same.

Safety hint: DON'T try using calipers to measure off-centre work with the lathe running. A paper-cutout will work just as well, although only for a few uses, but it won't hurt if it catches! :wink:

Skew
This has all the hallmarks of a bitter lesson experienced :o

artme
22nd April 2009, 10:26 PM
All the info above is relevant. A handle for anything requiring an elliptical end can be turned on a lathe. When I was a kid and in the Scouts we needed some large wooden mallets for driving wooden pegs. The local garage owner took the job on and turned beautiful handles on his metal lathe by chucking them off centre, They lasted for many years.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd April 2009, 12:09 AM
Skew
This has all the hallmarks of a bitter lesson experienced :o

Yep. :-

Happy amateur
23rd April 2009, 04:56 AM
If you use a pair of compasses you can draw the profile using the blue dots on each end, which will give you a guide.

Fred

glxman
23rd April 2009, 09:17 AM
I did pass on the dangers, he uses calipers but only when it has stopped, the only thing that scares me is the machine does not start up too well,

He gives the work a spin with his hand and the machine jumps up to full speed! (I'm not sure the machine does this?)

Regards,
Gary

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd April 2009, 03:33 PM
The starting capacitor probably needs replacing, if it's a typical single-phase hobbyist machine.

Mine's doing the same thing at the moment. :sigh:

thefixer
24th April 2009, 12:10 AM
The starting capacitor probably needs replacing, if it's a typical single-phase hobbyist machine.

Mine's doing the same thing at the moment. :sigh:

Ditto

munruben
24th April 2009, 10:36 AM
The local garage owner took the job on and turned beautiful handles on his metal lathe by chucking them off centre, They lasted for many years.Aah they don't make them like that any more Arthur, I have a mallet that I have had for over twenty years and have only replaced the head twice and the handle 4 times in all that time.

Hickory
25th April 2009, 01:49 AM
I usually wait and go to the Amish booth at the local Flea Market and pick up several at a great price, but I have turned them using the off center method as discribed. Once you give it a try you will see how easy it is to do.

You can use Calipers to determine the max dia and the minimum dia when making the basic round stock, but once you start the off-center turning the shape will become obvious and not need the calipers (paper or otherwise)

Good point to remember is to layout and establish the center points befor beginning the off center turning, as these sometimes become obscure during the process. It is good idea to make a full sized drawing (just like the one posted) to determine the thickness of the handle.

Put it back on center for sanding and then sand really slow or you will only sand the widest part.

Also... Ditto on the Start Capacitor...