PDA

View Full Version : $28.00 Bowl Lathe Kit

Paul39
1st May 2009, 12:32 PM
I took a load of scrap to the recycle yard today and noticed a machine which I think is a yarn winder. I had asked about buying things there before and the office said they only bought. I checked with the guys in the yard and they said they would sell things.

I told them i was interested in the machine and asked if they sell by the pound or by the object. By the pound. How much. 10 cents a pound. I'll go get my tool box and come right back.

I took off the parts that were not useful to me, including a locked up 960 RPM, 3 phase 1/3 HP motor with electric brake, and eased it into the Festiva and got weighed. 280 pounds - $28.00

I will shorten the long spindle and put a faceplate on it. The shaft is 33mm and runs in bronze bearings. No detectable wiggle. There was an aluminum spider that fit on the shiny place that I forgot to load. I'll go by first thing tomorrow to see if it is still there. That would do for a medium duty faceplate.

It even has a revolution counter that I can use as a tach by timing for 30 seconds and calculating.

Sure looks like a bowl lathe with a long nose to me. I had salvaged two 1725 RPM, 1HP motors from squirrel cage fans thrown into a dumpster by remodelers. Fans would have been nice too but the frames and sheet metal were almost 5 feet square. The fans were about 3 X 3 foot with nice 1 1/4 shafts rusted to the fans. One was undamaged and ran smoothly.

Ed Reiss
1st May 2009, 12:37 PM
Still beatin' the hell outa' that Fiesta, Paul? :o:doh: ...it's gettin' to be a real workhorse.

Nice find for a bowl lathe construct. Good luck with it.

SawDustSniffer
1st May 2009, 12:57 PM
good score ,
you could just as easily turn it into a multi stone grinder , 4 stones of different grit on the one axial
i use an old "steel tube" lathe with 3 wheels
1 coarse
1 fine
1 timber wheel (i use cutting compound to polish )
and use the tool rest as guide

orraloon
1st May 2009, 01:51 PM
Paul,
You have the best part of a bowl lathe there. It looks solid enough. A var speed motor and a tool rest and away you go.
Regards
John

joe greiner
1st May 2009, 11:24 PM
The fan motors MAY be amenable to speed control, almost as is. One of my WT mates claims that a Fan Speed controller from Ace Hardware can be used on his lathe. It sounded haywire, but he asserts electronics experience in his previous life. There's probably a gotcha somewhere, but I'll try to pick his brain a little more next Tuesday evening.

Good score, BTW.

Cheers,
Joe

Paul39
2nd May 2009, 04:42 AM
Joe,

Your post reminds me that I have a 1HP, 1725 RPM, 3 phase motor that I bought from another scrap yard a year ago for 50 cents a pound (scrap was high & they charge more) and a new Teco constant torque, variable frequency drive that works on 120 single phase. All bought for the purpose of "THE BIG BOWL LATHE".

I have as much fun building stuff and making tools as I do cutting bowls.

I have been able to live way beyond my means by building or fixing things bought cheap or picked up off the curb.

Paul39
2nd May 2009, 05:01 AM
The fan motors MAY be amenable to speed control, almost as is. One of my WT mates claims that a Fan Speed controller from Ace Hardware can be used on his lathe. It sounded haywire, but he asserts electronics experience in his previous life. There's probably a gotcha somewhere, but I'll try to pick his brain a little more next Tuesday evening.

I think the gotcha with single phase induction motors is you lose torque.

The gotcha with 3 phase / VFD set ups is you have to supply a constant speed fan to cool the motor if you run at slow speeds for an extended time. The motor is making the same heat but the fan is running at shaft speed.

I will set mine up to run from about 50 to 400 RPM with just a single pulley. If that does not suit I'll go to stepped pulleys.

The VFD has an adjustable ramp up to speed time, variable speed, coast to stop, adjustable ramp down to stop, or brake to stop.

With a 30 inch diameter out of balance stump on the faceplate, I want slow.

My Hegner swings 350mm / 13 3/4 inches, so anything I put on the big lathe will be bigger than that.

joe greiner
2nd May 2009, 10:43 PM
I think you're right about the torque. He and I both have the same lathe, HF34706, with minimum speed of 600rpm. It may be that the reduced torque is still adequate.

The VFD ramps are the way to go. It isn't much fun to watch a large lump unscrew itself from the spindle, after a sudden stop. The tailstock doesn't enjoy the experience either.

Cheers,
Joe

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd May 2009, 11:08 PM
I'm curious about the yarn-winder... what gauge of steel panel is it constructed from?

If you want it to drive the big stuff, you want it to handle as big/off-balanced a piece as you can build it.

I've heard of even cast head-stocks flexing under some loadings, so I'm wondering if you'll be adding gussets or similar for that "li'l extra bracing?"

hughie
3rd May 2009, 10:12 AM
I'm curious about the yard-winder... what gauge of steel panel is it constructed from?
If you want it to drive the big stuff, you want it to handle as big/off-balanced a piece as you can build it.
I've heard of even cast head-stocks flexing under some loadings, so I'm wondering if you'll be adding gussets or similar for that "li'l extra bracing?"[/quote]

Yep struck me as well, but it should not be too hard to reinforce it tho' Look forward to further pics. :2tsup:

I
have as much fun building stuff and making tools as I do cutting bowls.
I have been able to live way beyond my means by building or fixing things bought cheap or picked up off the curb.

That and the ability to utilize what you pick up, and a little bit of lateral thinking goes along way, especially when you add innovation to it. Keep the updates coming its an interesting project.

Paul39
4th May 2009, 05:46 AM
The body is 6.35 mm - 1/4 inch steel plate, angle iron cross member the back bearing is mounted on is also 1/4 in thick. Base is ribbed cast iron.

It does weigh 280 pounds / 127 kilograms.

It has been raining off and on for days, and more predicted. I have to work on the winder / bowl lathe outside so I am making bowls inside, alternating with transplanting stuff around the yard, wiring the shop, digging out the shop floor so I can stop hitting my head on the joists in the basement.

I do not lack for amusements around here.