PDA

View Full Version : Omega

GC
3rd May 2009, 11:22 AM
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone had info on the new Omega lathe that was meant to be released start of this year.
I think it was a S300???

Omega site still hasn't been updated.

Yours in anticipation

GC

rsser
3rd May 2009, 09:32 PM
IIRC there was a prototype at the WWW show in Melb.

Best way to find out would be to call Rob at Omega.

GC
3rd May 2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks Ern,

Just hoped someone would know.
Yes, a call is necessary, just by the time I get to work............it's 6pm.

GC

DJ’s Timber
3rd May 2009, 10:17 PM
Send a message to Ccaallmm (http://www.woodworkforums.com/member.php?u=11081) as he just picked up a new lathe from them last Friday and may know some info

Calm
3rd May 2009, 10:34 PM
It is actually a S250 - i also thought it was a 300 but it is only a 250.

i was at the factory on Tuesday & Friday last week and nothing has changed since the WWW show in Melb.

There has been a lot of talk, suggestions etc in regard to the locking device for the swivel head - that is the sticking point.

As the one at the WWW Show is totally hand made they are about to make patterns for the base (which is the only peice they don't presently make).

The 750 i got on Friday is on loan until mine is made at the end of June - I then need to make my mind up as to whether i keep the 750 or am the proud owner of the first of the S250.

My thoughts after 2 days is the 750 has a very small footprint (takes up no room in the shed) but cant do bigger than 750 mm Diameter and is restricted in the length of Spindle that can be done.

The S250 can handle long spindles (mine would be 1100 between centres) and can handle larger than 500 by Swiveling the head. Against that is the larger footprint and less room in the shed to get around.

So i have 2 months to think about it and decide.

i hope that answers some of your questions.

As for the locking device i think it is changing from the 2 screws that needed to be removed but i dont think there will be a cam locking device - But knowing the reputation of the STUBBY it will be a good lathe, well made and worth buying.

Cheers

GC
3rd May 2009, 11:03 PM
Thanks CALM,

The info is good, I think I can wait..........

Any idea on price on the 250? Compared to the 750?

Thanks again -

GC

Calm
3rd May 2009, 11:17 PM
Thanks CALM,

The info is good, I think I can wait..........

Any idea on price on the 250? Compared to the 750?

Thanks again -

GC

i know what my deal was but I dont think it right to reveal that to others. I have been talking to Rob about this at the Melb WWW show and since.

As for a RRP not sure one has been arrived at yet.

cheers

GC
4th May 2009, 10:02 PM
Ta Calm,

Will try to call this week.
I hope they can get their act together shortly as I have KRudd $$$ and a space in my shed. Dont really want to wait until the WWW show

GC