PDA

View Full Version : Best turning accessory in a long time

jefferson
3rd May 2009, 08:37 PM
I've spent heaps over the last 12 months on woodturning, on everything ranging from a new VL100 lathe, to multiple chucks, chisels etc etc.

At 's suggestion, I bought the new updated device to level the stone on my Tormec grinder. I've had the Tormec for maybe 8 years and use it primarily to sharpen my non-woodturning chisels and plane blades, as I didn't want any hollows in the stone.

No longer! Now, to say that I am happy is an understatement!

It's touch and go, but this has got to be one of my best purchases in a long time. The jig takes very little to set up and in less than 2 minutes, you have a perfectly flat grinding wheel with no marks. And one of 's jigs and you micro-sharpen all forms of gouges with a minimum of fuss.

The best $80 I've spent in a long time.

For all old Tormec owners, I suggest to buy one.

regards Jeff

tea lady
3rd May 2009, 10:21 PM
:worthless::rolleyes:

jefferson
3rd May 2009, 10:36 PM
DJ and I are trying to work out how to match my new camera with Shrink Pic, so be ready Tea Lady for a flood of pics in the near future!

Jeff

tea lady
3rd May 2009, 11:07 PM
DJ and I are trying to work out how to match my new camera with Shrink Pic, so be ready Tea Lady for a flood of pics in the near future!

JeffOh no! Now you are onto computer tools, and camera tools.:o :rolleyes: (I'm just jealous. :C ):D Eagerly await the pics.:cool:

Ashes
4th May 2009, 10:49 PM
I'm curious as to what you got for $80. I'm looking for a replacement diamond tip for my truing jig and $72 just for the tip is the best I've seen so far.

RETIRED
5th May 2009, 08:47 AM
I'm curious as to what you got for $80. I'm looking for a replacement diamond tip for my truing jig and $72 just for the tip is the best I've seen so far.This.

rsser
5th May 2009, 10:06 AM
So wouldn't the grading stone on the universal rest plate do the job? Assuming a steady hand and eye.

jefferson
5th May 2009, 10:13 AM
So wouldn't the grading stone on the universal rest plate do the job? Assuming a steady hand and eye.

Ern, I don't think so. The grading stone really only removes a fraction of material and at least from my experience doesn't remove the hollows from grinding gouges.

And the beast didn't cost me $80 - more like $135!

Jeff