PDA

View Full Version : Rod & Reel

cqvillas
8th May 2009, 03:07 PM
Hi all,

A few weeks ago I posted a question regarding bending timber & I didn't have much success as I was rushing to complete an article for an upcoming competition. I also promised that I would post some pictures of the finished article which shows the right angled piece I was trying to bend. Anyway it is all finished now, so I thought you all might like to see what took me a fair while to do as I had a couple of breakages along the way & I wouldn't get back to it until I was in a better frame of mind.:((

The first picture shows all the pieces before assembly & then the whole article after gluing & aplying 4 coats of lacquer which has been cut & polished.

The reel backing plate is Red Cedar, the reel body is Camphor Laurel, the twisting mechanism for casting etc. (which does work) is made from Rosewood, Black Wattle & Mango.

The handles on the reel are made from Rosewood & Camphor Laurel.

The rod is made from Tamorine & Rosewood. The only thing I'm not happy with is the stand (Rose Gum I think) which I made in a hurry & I think should be a darker timber, which will be something like Lemon Scented Gum when I get around to it.

Anyway I thought you might like to see the finished article.

Cheers,
Nev

Manuka Jock
8th May 2009, 03:16 PM
Nice work Nev :2tsup:

are ya gunna let us in on the trick to bending that piece ?

cqvillas
8th May 2009, 04:12 PM
Well I didn't actually get to bend it, I had to eventually cut it out of a piece of Black Wattle because I was running out of time. So when I find out I'll let you know.

Nev

mkypenturner
8th May 2009, 07:51 PM
great job love the reel :2tsup: BUT DOES IT WORK ? ?:fish:

efgee88
8th May 2009, 09:52 PM
Fabulous Job!

FrankG

Ed Reiss
8th May 2009, 10:37 PM
FIRST RATE would hardly begin to describe the end result Nev :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

powderpost
8th May 2009, 11:15 PM
Excellent piece... :2tsup:
Jim

Ruddy
9th May 2009, 12:43 AM
Beautiful work Nev.....
I have a few of old Alveys somewhere, They never looked that good, even when they were new.
Fine work Nev..

Ruddy

TTIT
10th May 2009, 01:08 AM
Fantastic bit of work Nev - looks good enough to use.:2tsup:

Wouldn't have been taking lessons from Ron Girdler in Rocky would you??? :;

cqvillas
11th May 2009, 02:28 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for the comments.
To answer a couple of questions, the reel does work in that it rotates & swivels to be able to cast, however I don't think it would stand up to a 20lb fish taking off on it's first run. It was purely made as a dust collector that has some moving parts & the challenge of being able to make it.

In reply to TTIT's question. I gather you know Ron's work very well as he does a lot of replication work & does it exceptionally well. Over the last couple of years Ron has kindly given me many tips & virtually got me started in this addictive hobby which I am very gratefull.

Cheers,
Nev

trollhameran
24th May 2009, 10:15 PM
That is a very nice looking reel, I posted a question on another forum about making reels, and somebody linked me to this thread, could you please explain how the twisting mechanism works? I am very interested in making my own reel and could do with some help.

cqvillas
19th November 2009, 09:52 PM
Hi Trollhameran,

Firstly i must apologise if you posted this question some time ago as I haven't checked my inbox for a while. The twisting mechanism isn't anything spectacular, but just a copy of the reel that I have been using for the last 20 years fishing, I just made all the steel bits out of timber as best I could. I had to work out which pieces I had to glue together and which pieces to let rotate. This probably doesn't help you much but it's a little hard to explain in writing without being confusing.

Nev.