PDA

View Full Version : Most recent batch of turnings

Grumpy John
13th May 2009, 05:58 PM
Here are 3 of my most recent turnings, any and all comments welcome.

Square oregon bowl, 255 mm square on a 325 mm dia. x 50 mm high. I had a bugga of a time sanding this bowl as the wood is very soft and is prone to scratching, many thanks to Skew for his assistance, and to for the use of his docking saw :2tsup:.

105116 105117

Cedar platter, 310 mm Dia. x 30 mm high. This is from one of the many pieces Steck kindly swappedfor some Silky Oak or Oregon (I can't remember which) I didn't want. Steves allergy was my gain, thanks steve:2tsup:.

105118 105119

Grey Box bowl, 205 mm dia. x 98 mm high. I scored this piece at DJ's Christmas barbeque.

105120 105121

All in all I'm pretty happy with overall form of these pieces, however I still need to work on my finishing. I tend to rush things a bit and need to slow down to make sure the finish is spot on.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th May 2009, 06:14 PM
Nice range of forms. :2tsup:

The platter looks like it put up a struggle, or did it move after you finished turning? (Or it could be just my eyes...)

All in all I'm pretty happy with overall form of these pieces, however I still need to work on my finishing. I tend to rush things a bit and need to slow down to make sure the finish is spot on.

Mea culpa. :B

wheelinround
13th May 2009, 06:23 PM
agree and I have some Oregon to turn but it wont be as nice and good shape like that :doh::no:

Calm
13th May 2009, 06:25 PM
Its a hell of a foot on the middle one. Sort of overpowering i reckon:rolleyes::roll:

The rest look pretty good - yeah about that taking time to finish :B:B

Just a little tip - sand & polish the hole for the chuck - i know someone who is anal about that not being finished properly DAMHIKT:no::doh::roll::B:-

cheers

Grumpy John
13th May 2009, 06:28 PM
:-:B:doh::no::roll:Its a hell of a foot on the middle one. Sort of overpowering i reckon:rolleyes::roll:

The foot is actually a bead, I'll post a shot later.

rsser
13th May 2009, 06:49 PM
Nice work GJ. Musta been some heart in the mouth moments in that lot.

The square bowl is a striking piece.

Maybe thin down the winged feet on Mark II.

RETIRED
13th May 2009, 06:53 PM
i know someone who is anal about that not being finished properly DAMHIKT2 actually. :whistling2:

Grumpy John
13th May 2009, 07:10 PM
Cedar platter foot as promised. Don't look at the scratches :-.

wheelinround
13th May 2009, 07:13 PM
I can see the links for images but no images

steck
13th May 2009, 07:20 PM
You!ve been busy! It's nice to see that Yankee cedar goinf to good use.
I particularly like the square oregon bowl - it has very pleasing lines.
Well done!

Grumpy John
13th May 2009, 07:27 PM

Send a PM to DJ, I'm sure he'll be happy to help out. This is a constant source of irritation to many forumites :~.

Manuka Jock
13th May 2009, 07:29 PM
Good looking work there John.:2tsup:
I like your feet ....

Same here .
But if I click on the link the slide show comes up .

Seems to be happening a lot lately.

tea lady
13th May 2009, 11:46 PM
Love the round touchable shape of the last piece. :cool:(How did the one with the crack come out? ) Not to sure of the other ones. Doesn't look like you've quite made the forms "your own" yet. If ya know what I mean.:C Square platter has potenial, Has a similar touchable curve in the form that I really like. (Geez! I'm critical tonight. I'll put up some pics of my work soon and you can have a go at that.:D )

Grumpy John
13th May 2009, 11:51 PM
How did the one with the crack come out?

Still looking for a suitable filler piece, I think some Ash would look nice. For those wondering what we're talking about I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Grumpy John
14th May 2009, 09:54 AM
How did the one with the crack come out?

Here's some pictures of the bowl TL is asking about. Any ideas on what timber it might be?

105169 105170 105172

Ozkaban
14th May 2009, 11:20 AM
Very impressed with the finish on the Oregon bowl. i tried turning it once and couldn't get a decent finish on it to save my life - the tearout was awful!

Cheers,
Dave

Manuka Jock
14th May 2009, 11:42 AM
Very impressed with the finish on the Oregon bowl. i tried turning it once and couldn't get a decent finish on it to save my life - the tearout was awful!

Cheers,
Dave

Same here .
It had been a beam , and then a bench seat , then I cut it up.
It is as dry as the hobs of hell.
I wet it , soaked it , sanded it , and tossed it under the lathe.
It's still there :p

Ed Reiss
14th May 2009, 11:49 AM
Lookin' good John:2tsup:

...the only thing that looks a bit off is the side view for platter 2 - appears to have warped somewhat...or is that an artistic statement? :2tsup:

Ozkaban
14th May 2009, 12:11 PM
Same here .
It had been a beam , and then a bench seat , then I cut it up.
It is as dry as the hobs of hell.
I wet it , soaked it , sanded it , and tossed it under the lathe.
It's still there :p

That's what I did, but it wasn't the bench in the middle. Went straight from 'beam' to 'junk' :rolleyes:

Grumpy John
14th May 2009, 01:55 PM
The platter looks like it put up a struggle, or did it move after you finished turning? (Or it could be just my eyes...)

...the only thing that looks a bit off is the side view for platter 2 - appears to have warped somewhat...or is that an artistic statement? :2tsup:

There is some slight warping at the knot, otherwise it's pretty flat. Perhaps there is some parallax thingamajig happening with the camera :?, the details for the shot show the focal length to be 6mm and F 3.2, dunno if that means anything :shrug:.

Grumpy John
14th May 2009, 02:14 PM
Very impressed with the finish on the Oregon bowl. i tried turning it once and couldn't get a decent finish on it to save my life - the tear out was awful!

Cheers,
Dave

Thanks very much for that Dave. I think that my perseverance was worth it, thanks to these (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=93051) guys.

Ozkaban
14th May 2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks very much for that Dave. I think that my perseverance was worth it, thanks to these (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=93051) guys.

Had a good read of that thread - very informative. I will try some of that out. I've been pretty guilty of sanding too heavily with the lathe on too fast.

Maybe one day I'll have another crack at Oregon. It does look pretty nice :think:

Cheers,
Dave

wheelinround
15th May 2009, 08:32 AM
GJ so what finishes did you use ??

Grumpy John
15th May 2009, 08:38 AM
GJ so what finishes did you use ??

Sorry :doh:, should have said. I make up a mix of 200 ml turps, 200 ml boiled linseed oil and 100 ml of satin poly. Brush it on let it soak in, polish brush on more, let that soak in, polish again ............... you get the idea. Usually 3 - 4 coats does the trick.