PDA

View Full Version : bct hollowing tool

eisbaer
16th May 2009, 09:10 PM
hi guys

has anyone had the opportunity to use the hollowing tool from bierton turnery? I've had a look at it and it seems a good looking device. I'm just not sure how it'll perform on some of the harder woods.

My previous experience with hollowing is using a vermec hollowing tool (not the captured variety) and found it a bit difficult at times. The bct one seems to get around stability problems by having a stabilising arm coming out one side of the bar which also sits on the tool rest. Plus the bar is square.

I suppose i'm hoping someone has some experience with it so i can find out if it's worth it. Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

TTIT
18th May 2009, 10:09 AM
Back in my earlier days of hollowing I was chasing the same thing but couldn't find them in Oz so I ended up making my own look-a-like - without the stabilizer. I think Hughie was toying with one with a stabilizer at one stage. I suspect it would be a nuisance at times and it would stop me from using my gate-styled rest which I prefer to use when hollowing.

Well that was a big help!!! :shrug:

hughie
18th May 2009, 10:22 AM
Yep I ws playing around with one of my own manufacture.... a knock off :U
Never really finished it, but i like the concept and from viewing the web site I would say it does prettty well what they claim it can do.

As Vern has pointed out you may have to ship from the UK..:C

But try this link as a couple of guys have them there

"http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewforum.php?f=6"

As to Oz hardwoods etc dunno other forms of cup type tools do have a tendancy to chatter abit. I have been looking at this for a while to try and come up with some thing thats more stable etc....a work in progress as they say :U

eisbaer
18th May 2009, 02:53 PM
i should buy one and report back :) i'm probably gonna order from the tool post in the uk. Either that or save up for the monster hollower from the states. That thing looks serious. :)

hughie i'm also a bit concerned by the style of cutter on hardwoods like we have here so that might be the thing that will make me look at other options. Thanks for your help on the issue though. If i get one i'll give it a good workout on something ridiculous like quinine :) if it doesn't shatter in my hands.

hughie
19th May 2009, 01:26 AM
eisbaer,

While your looking around go to the Woodcut site and check out the Porforme Hollower

YouTube - Woodcut Pro-Forme deep hollowing

http://www.shop.woodcut-tools.com/section.php?xSec=2

Its a successful hollowing tool thats made a bit closer to home.

eisbaer
19th May 2009, 03:31 PM
i might just do that :) i'm keen to see what's on offer at the woodshow on the weekend. Thanks for your help mate.