PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the better chuck jaws

Calm
17th May 2009, 05:55 PM
With the purchase of the STUBBY i thought it would be a good idea to buy a bigger (than SN2) chuck to hold bigger bowls.from 400mm to 750 mm diameter

The only chucks i have are 2 SN2 chucks and 6 sets of jaws - The obvious choice is the Titan chuck as the jaws are interchangable between it and the SN2 - but Jim informs me that Titan chucks are no longer available (unknown when but may never be again)

The alternative to the Titan appears to be (hate to admit it) a vicmark yes i said it a VICMARK. (god please forgive my blasphemy)

The delema is do i sell the Nova chucks and all the jaws and buy 2 or 3 new Vicmarks or do i just buy a vicmark and one set of jaws for big bowls. I currently use all the jaws i have.

The information i need to help with this decision is who makes the best jaws.

So are the Nova or Vicmark jaws better in the following sizes. (these are what i currently have.

rsser
17th May 2009, 06:04 PM
VM I reckon.

The T/tool spigot jaws in your pic have the outside edge chamfered reducing their use in expansion mode considerably.

Their bowl jaws (your 4th pic) have the outside and inside edges rounded over reducing the power of the bight. GJ turned the faces down on mine to get rid of this and it improved the performance out of sight. It's a pity because otherwise they're a great set of kit.

With the VM shark jaws you don't have the same serrations on the inside as the spigots and it makes no difference in my shed. You do have a nice dovetail for clean gripping down to the first 'valley' in both modes.

Grumpy John
17th May 2009, 06:06 PM
IMHO, Vicmarc have it all over Nova. Every single Nova set of jaws I have purchased have had burrs on them and I've had to file them smooth. The only reason I have any nova jaws at all is because I was too tight to buy a VM100 and bought a Nova G3 instead, I've regretted it ever since.
On the other hand the Vicmarc jaws come nicely chamfered all round, not a sharp edge anywhere, beautiful workmanship.

PS Anyone want to buy a G3, hardly used :p.

Calm
17th May 2009, 06:08 PM
What about Pin jaws - if one of those sets (with the possible exception of the 4th picture is better than Vicmark then i might as well keep the ones i have.

The other question is "how big a blank would you go with a SN2 and the 100 mm jaws i have'?

Off to work now so will ring GJ later for feedback.

Cheers

rsser
17th May 2009, 06:22 PM
The T/tool website has a listing of max size blanks recommended for their chucks and jaws David.

Happy trucking.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th May 2009, 06:38 PM
I only have Teknatool chucks (both SN2 and the ol' Precision Midi "tommy bar" jobs) and even though I've quite a few jaw sets I really only use 3 sets:
the spigot jaws the std. 45mm jaws & the pin jaws.
Between them they handle every thing I turn with a chuck.

I've tried the Vicmarc equivalents and prefer mine... Vicmarc's Shark Jaws have the edge on holding power, but not so much that I'd go out and buy a Vicmarc chuck to use them on. :p I guess it depends a lot on what you're used to.

Also, contrary to what it seems most people do; I don't use my pin jaws in expansion mode. If somethig needs that small a mortise, I'll either use a worm-screw or a different chuck made from a bicycle goose-neck mount type thingy. (See here.) (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showpost.php?p=364246&postcount=27)

Where the pin-jaws excel is in holding small diameter dowels/rods. Many people won't use them this way 'cos they don't have a dovetail machined into 'em for grip during contraction mode... but how much grip do you really need when turning something that's only a centimeter or less in diameter? :rolleyes:

hughie
17th May 2009, 07:46 PM
Calm,

If you check the Teknatool web site you will see that Titan and SN2 have about the same max limit on dia ie 29" or 73.66cm. it might be cheaper to keep your current chucks and buy the big SN2 jaws 130mm or the Power G rip jaws. The 130mm jaws will open 10mm more on the Titan chuck, hardly worth the expense of buying the chuck, and a similar diffference on the power grip jaws between both chucks.

In fact both chucks are very similar in many respects. Teknatool reckons the Titan holds better?? dunno never had a failure on my SN2's that I did not create myself.

https://www.teknatool.com/products/Chuck_Accessories/PowerGrip.htm

https://www.teknatool.com/products/Chuck_Accessories/130mm.htm

I would recommend jaws over chucks and this is what I have done. This will keep all your chucks as standard and all the jaws can be moved around if necessary.

jefferson
17th May 2009, 08:20 PM
David,

the one problem with the Vicmarc chucks is that the jaws are not interchangable between the VM 100 and the 120/140/150. I've got a 150 dedicated solely for the largest bowl jaws (which has adapted wonderfully by adding 4 plates of ply to the face), plus a 120 with standard and shark jaws.

If you are thinking BIG, then have a look at the 150, it's a beast of a thing. The tightening mechanism is great - swing or turn key.

I bought the 120 and 150 first, but have since added 3 VM100 chucks with another on the way. One has smaller bowls jaws, another a screw chuck (also to be replaced by a dedicated screw), one for shark jaws and another for the pin jaws.

I like everyone could probably do with another....

I can't fault the Vicmarc quality, bias as I am about the product.

But that said, you have invested seriously in the Stubby - more than the dearest Vicmarc - so why skimp now? You have one of the best lathes on the market (at least according to Ern!), so I'd suggest humbly that a cheap set of Chinese chisels or "work-around" chucks doesn't make much sense. You've got plenty too mate, with all those interstate trips!

Anyway, enjoy the shopping. It's good therapy.

Jeff

funkychicken
17th May 2009, 08:31 PM
Hey David, Didja know that Vermec make a veery nice chuck

Sawdust Maker
17th May 2009, 08:43 PM
Hey David, Didja know that Vermec make a veery nice chuck

And it appears to accept both the vicmarc and teknatool jaws :2tsup:

rsser
17th May 2009, 09:00 PM
Yeah, the smaller one does, not the bigger.

Hughie, when you fit Titan Powergrips to the Titan chuck you go out about 30mm in the range compared to the ordinary Powergrips on an SN2.

Manuka Jock
17th May 2009, 09:17 PM
Hughie, when you fit Titan Powergrips to the Titan chuck you go out about 30mm in the range compared to the ordinary Powergrips on an SN2.

Thats true , the titan is the only one that takes all the jaws , from the biggest to the smallest .

The Teknatool site is a bit of a mess , and takes a while finding your way to the good pages,
Here (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chuck_Accessories/Index.htm)is the Chuck Accessory page

TTIT
18th May 2009, 12:55 AM
How big is a Titan??? The Vermec is an exquisitely machined 120mm chuck that accepts Vicmarc or Teknatool jaws plus Vermecs own range and has 144 point indexing capability - what more could you possibly want????

I love my Vermec chuck! :B

...and my Vermec Stubby! :B:U

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th May 2009, 12:59 AM
How big is a Titan??? The Vermec is an exquisitely machined 120mm chuck that accepts Vicmarc or Teknatool jaws plus Vermecs own range and has 144 point indexing capability - what more could you possibly want????

So you can't do 145 point indexing?

I knew there had to be a catch somewhere... :innocent:

Manuka Jock
18th May 2009, 01:22 AM
How big is a Titan??? The Vermec is an exquisitely machined 120mm

Titans are bigger . 125 mm :p

and rugged with it :D

rsser
18th May 2009, 07:56 AM
And Vern, if memory serves, the smaller Vermec takes other's jaws but not the larger one regrettably.

Do you have any influence with Enzo?

rsser
18th May 2009, 08:00 AM
Just checked. The 120 mm Vermec does take VM 120/140 jaws. That's changed since the WWW show.

hughie
18th May 2009, 09:31 AM
I guess i am fortunate as I have several of the older style SN2's with a body dia of 150mm and I have also removed the jaw stops pins which gives me another 5-10mm of gripping dia. I dont recommned this to everyone, but it suits my occaisonal requirments. The old larger dia seem this comes close Vicmarc and Vermec capacities .

Its these three heavier larger chucks that are my work horses and would not part with them.

Teknatool make some strange decisions at times. i would have thought the 150mm dia would be fair competition to the Vicmarc etc and now the Titan has gone too boot.

TTIT
18th May 2009, 09:46 AM
......Do you have any influence with Enzo?Nah! - just a happy customer. I'm always amazed at how well made all his gear is - you really have to see the chuck to understand the quality of it - leaves his mass-producing brother's stuff for dead.:o

Ed Reiss
18th May 2009, 12:28 PM
David...with 3 nova chucks, one original and two Super Nova's ready to do their thing, I've yet to have a let down using any of the three...they all hold tight, never had a sling fest against a wall or body part yet.
I really can't justify spending a lot more $$$ for a Oneway, or Vicmark, etc, etc. when the nova's do all that I expect.:2tsup:

NeilS
19th May 2009, 02:37 PM
Hi David

I have a similar issue that I'm facing. See attached Word doc.

Need a chuck and jaws for the occasional larger diameter piece
Already have predominantly Nova chucks and jaws
My SN Deluxe chuck would easily handle up to 750mm diameter, but Nova doesn't go beyond 130mm jaws, which I would like to have for the feet on larger platters
Vicmarc has a larger range of jaws, including some above 130mm, but adding a VM 120-150 to my current mix of jaws and chucks would also cause further incompatibility issues.
The Vermec Companion CHU-500 is another option for using the larger VM jaws, but would also be compatible with my existing Nova jaws.
Haven't finally decided yet which way to go, but leaning towards the Vermec
The $382 price tag for the occasional larger piece, along with some other priorities that are competing for the $, has put the decision off for now.
The set of Nova jaws purchased recently seem to me to be of similar quality to VMs, but don't know if they were older stock.

If you don't need to go above 130mm jaws size, the SN Deluxe chuck could be a good solution for you David. Don't think you can buy them new anymore, but you might score one secondhand. Perhaps a retailer somewhere may have one still in stock. They are a well made chuck and a secondhand one would be good value if you can get one.

Neil

Calm
19th May 2009, 11:01 PM
Thanks everyone - just got home (hopefully for a few days anyway)

Reading the advice/comments/opinions here i will add a bit more info an what i need to be comfortable with.

I think all the larger peices over 500 mm will initially be mounted on the 90mm STUBBY supplied faceplate and turned round and probably the outside shaped and finished. - it should be balanced now.

Now is when i want to mount it in a chuck to hold it - probably on a tenon, not a recess (so contracting not expanding)

It should be balanced

Can the SN2 with the 100 mm jaws or the 130 mm jaws (if i purchase them) comfortably handle that weight blank or am i pushing the limits of those little screws etc that hold it all together.

Remember the blank could start at 750mm diameter by 300 mm thick before i hollow it out.

At the recent BBQ here we roughed out a couple of green silky oak blanks about 600 mm by 150 thick and the SN2 handled that ok - but if i continue this practice am i pushing my luck?

Thanks a lot for your thoughts.

Cheers

Calm
20th May 2009, 10:18 AM
I've got a few nova titan's in stock

Best Regards
Rohan Pye

Following this post on another thread i have just ordered a set of Titan Powergrip jaws and a new chuck from Rohan at GPW.

Just a heads up to all - there is 1 or 2 left there and they maybe the last Titan chucks you will see.

He also made the comment they were moving out of Nova chucks so anyone wanting something now might be a good chance to pick it up - he might even have a bargain for you.

No i'm not on commision.:no:

Cheers

rsser
20th May 2009, 12:39 PM
Good choice David. It's a hefty bit of kit. Should allow among other things a long overhang for deep hollowing.

Calm
25th May 2009, 10:55 AM
Ausy post man just arrived at the door with the parcel - one Titan Chuck and one set big grab hold of anything Jaws - nice looking peices - too busy to try straight away but GJ i can tell you it is made in NZ and stamped that way so the finish is great.:2tsup::2tsup:

Better get a big lump of wood out the farm today and try it out tonight. Maybe a 750mm burl:roll::B:;

Cheers

Manuka Jock
25th May 2009, 11:00 AM
Ausy post man just arrived at the door with the parcel - one Titan Chuck and one set big grab hold of anything Jaws - nice looking peices - too busy to try straight away but GJ i can tell you it is made in NZ and stamped that way so the finish is great.:2tsup::2tsup:

Better get a big lump of wood out the farm today and try it out tonight. Maybe a 750mm burl:roll::B:;

Cheers

:2tsup: enjoy

RETIRED
25th May 2009, 01:11 PM
NEWS FLASH:

Freak accident in Ballarat.

A freak accident happened in Ballarat today.

Two cars, 4 trees, a garage, a carport and a length of footpath were destroyed when an operator lost control of the machine he was using.

According to eye witness accounts Mr Evans had just received a new part for his machine when he decided to try it out.

With the help of his neighbours and a front end loader they loaded a 1.5 tonne lump of wood (species unknown) on to the machine.

Assuring everybody in sight that the machine was capable of this sort of work by uttering "if can do it, I can," he hit the switch and pandemonium broke out.

An eye witness who was still in shock described the events.

He said," David hit the switch and the lump started rotating and then the lathe smashed through the pillar supporting the door of the garage.

It then headed for the carport taking out the support post and knocked the 2 cars out of the way. People were going everywhere. It then knocked over the trees on the property and only stopped when it got caught on the edge of the footpath which it uprooted."

Police, fire and all emergency services attended the scene but were not needed.

Mr Evans only comment was " those Titans sure hang on, don't they?"

We are still trying to work out why he is quoting Greek mythology.

Groggy
25th May 2009, 02:14 PM
Sounds like duck season in Ballarat :D

DJ’s Timber
25th May 2009, 02:27 PM
:rofl:

rsser
25th May 2009, 04:47 PM
A titanic stuff-up.

Ed Reiss
25th May 2009, 11:43 PM
:roflmao:

....uh, next time try starting the lathe in "slow" rather than "high-speed destroy" mode.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th May 2009, 11:59 PM
Calm, I suggested that you "dyna-bolt it down," not "belt it on a dyno!" :rolleyes:

Calm
26th May 2009, 08:00 AM
Now do you really think i would do that.:B thanks for the reminder - start it slow:doh:

Might cut one of those big burls at the farm today and give it a spin tonight just to make all you lot jealous. photos - well if i could work it out i would video it, but allas technology has passed me by.

You lot can laugh and hang all the SHYTE you like but just remember
I AM THE ONE WITH THE STUBBY
:D:D:D:D:q:q:q:q:p:p

Cheers

Ed Reiss
26th May 2009, 12:09 PM
:D:D:D:q:q:q:p

Cheers

...don't get too smug, David. When I win the lotto :yippy: gonna get everyone (the good folks) on this forum a Stubby of their own. Then what'cha gonna have to bust our b____s with :?:D:D:D

hughie
26th May 2009, 12:16 PM
don't get too smug, David. When I win the lotto :yippy: gonna get everyone (the good folks) on this forum a Stubby of their own. Then what'cha gonna have to bust our b____s with :?:D:D:D
[/QUOTE]

might just hold you too that Ed. :U

NeilS
26th May 2009, 12:47 PM

:roflmao: ... so, that's what can happen when you don't know the species of wood...:)

Neil

jefferson
26th May 2009, 06:58 PM
Now do you really think i would do that.:B thanks for the reminder - start it slow:doh:

Might cut one of those big burls at the farm today and give it a spin tonight just to make all you lot jealous. photos - well if i could work it out i would video it, but allas technology has passed me by.

:D:D:D:D:q:q:q:q:p:p

Cheers

Alright David,

I haven't got the cash but can find it if I need. Now why should I buy a Stubby? Maybe even Ern's?

If I had my time again, I'd have talked Vicmarc or someone to build me a left-handed lathe!

Jeff

Manuka Jock
26th May 2009, 07:05 PM
Alright David,

I haven't got the cash but can find it if I need. Now why should I buy a Stubby? Maybe even Ern's?

If I had my time again, I'd have talked Vicmarc or someone to build me a left-handed lathe!

Jeff

Jeff ,
Get a swivel head that has reverse ......... and use it left handed :U

Sawdust Maker
26th May 2009, 09:46 PM
...don't get too smug, David. When I win the lotto :yippy: gonna get everyone (the good folks) on this forum a Stubby of their own. Then what'cha gonna have to bust our b____s with :?:D:D:D

Think I might start watching the lotto draws :2tsup:

Calm
So how are the "Greek mythology" jaws? :)