PDA

View Full Version : WOODWORKING QUIZ FOR 24 June 04

Ralph Jones
24th June 2004, 09:51 PM
Good Evening Friends,
Let's see how you do with the following quiz, especially if you think our terms are odd.

All structures should be built to reduce the effects of shrinkage and warping.
They must also resist the hazard of fire.

There are two basic styles of framing and one is seldom used today but, if you are going to do any remodeling you should be knowledgeable of it.

Can you name them?

Respectfully, :)

bitingmidge
24th June 2004, 10:02 PM
I'm going back into the memory bank more than quarter of a century Ralph and I'm guessing you are referring to balloon or platform framing.

One essentially builds the frame and then infills the bits, while the other builds a series of platforms and storey's are built on successive floors.

The former is so obscure here that I doubt that anyone under 50 will have heard of it. Even steel framed commercial buildings are so rare that a couple of generations will not have seen guys working on steel beams twenty storeys high with safety gantries no more than seven floors below.

Those were the days when men were men, and the guys earned their danger money...or died in the process!

If that's not the answer you are looking for, it isn't the first time I looked a bit silly on this forum!! :D :D :D

Cheers,

P

Sturdee
24th June 2004, 10:18 PM
The former is so obscure here that I doubt that anyone under 50 will have heard of it.

Damm, there goes my excuse for not knowing what Ralph is asking. :D

Peter.

Bob Willson
25th June 2004, 05:53 AM
All structures should be built to reduce the effects of shrinkage and warping.
They must also resist the hazard of fire.
The little burger is still trying to trick us isn't he. :) That extra bit of info had absolutely nowt do with the question he asked

Ralph Jones
25th June 2004, 09:54 PM
Good Evening Friends,
Biting midge, has the correct answer as balloon and platform/western framing are the two I was looking for.

There are several reasons why the balloon framing is not used today but, the most logical reason is you can't get lumber in the longer lengths any longer on a commercial level. Also as already mentioned it is too time consuming for todays market.

Thank you for your support,

Respectfully, :)

bitingmidge
26th June 2004, 08:04 AM
Damm, there goes my excuse for not knowing what Ralph is asking.

Err...of course I read it in a book..... :p

P