PDA

View Full Version : MC90 help

bowl-basher
17th May 2009, 06:38 PM
Hi All
I am in need of some help with my MC90:(:(
The speed lever has got rather hard to move from fast to slow and I rember several threads about how important it is to keep the reves free on their shafts
The motor side is no problem removed circlip and Cleaned the shaft and the bore of the moving side.
But on the spindle side I can't get the half pully off.I have got it to move as far as the end of the shaft and no further tried taping it back and using liberal coats of WD40 but I still cant get it to come off. I am not keen to use a bearing puller as I think the pully half will bend if not break ..also what grease would you recomend to use on the shafts

I hope in the great font of knowledge that is this forum some one will have the answer
Bowl-Basher

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th May 2009, 06:59 PM
I'd try tapping the pulley back, then making a very close inspection of the key & key-way.

Any grit or burrs in either and it can wedge things badly.

FWIW, I don't grease my shafts. I do, however, leave the pulley cover off :B and give both sets of pulleys a liberal squirt of WD-40 every day when I first start the lathe, and a few times during if it even begins to feel "sticky."

I dislike grease (bloody dust attractor) and there are better WD-40 alternatives (Inox for example) but this is the "habit" I've developed - it's almost automatic now - it works for me and I see no reason to change. :p

new_guy90
17th May 2009, 07:14 PM
Hi All
I am in need of some help with my MC90:(:(
The speed lever has got rather hard to move from fast to slow and I rember several threads about how important it is to keep the reves free on their shafts
The motor side is no problem removed circlip and Cleaned the shaft and the bore of the moving side.
But on the spindle side I can't get the half pully off.I have got it to move as far as the end of the shaft and no further tried taping it back and using liberal coats of WD40 but I still cant get it to come off. I am not keen to use a bearing puller as I think the pully half will bend if not break ..also what grease would you recomend to use on the shafts

I hope in the great font of knowledge that is this forum some one will have the answer
Bowl-Basher
heat the ally pully up a little bit with a hair dryer crazy but works for me

hughie
17th May 2009, 07:23 PM
looks like you have a dust build up problem on the reeves pulley shaft which is not uncommon. Blow all the dust out, spray with something like WD40 and gently work the pulleys up and down the shaft until they are free.
Then invest in some suitable lubricant ideally a dry film type, get into the habit of blowing all the dust out of the Reeves pulley drive system and giving it a spray of lube..

As Skew says stay away from grease type lubricants as it will only happen again.

joe greiner
18th May 2009, 12:22 AM
In addition to what's been said, the lever drives a collar to urge one side of the driven pulley along the spindle shaft. The shaft holding the collar is in a hole in the headstock housing, exposed on the working end of the headstock. Try to keep that hole clean, and spray some lube to help it stay movable. The manual recommends lubrication, but is silent on where and how.

This lathe has many incarnations, including my HF34706.

Cheers,
Joe

bowl-basher
18th May 2009, 09:20 PM
heat the ally pully up a little bit with a hair dryer crazy but works for me

TOP ONE:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
worked like a treat found the shaft from the leaver has the spline bugger***ed need to find spares for this and the two pullys the shafts look ok
thanks for the help
Bowl Basher