PDA

View Full Version : Drop saw station

morry
25th June 2004, 12:14 AM
Here are a few pics of the drop saw station that I have built off the woodsmith plans out of a time life book. The saw is a 250mm Dewalt. The unit is on castors so can be backed into a small space when not used and moved forward and the wings opened up and locked in place. The drawings called for 3/4 inch plywood but I wasn't keen on a second mortgage on the house so sourced some used yellow tongue flooring sheets for nothing. I just need to finish it by completing a flip up stop for the tables.

morry
25th June 2004, 12:15 AM
here is a shot of the station closed

Robert WA
25th June 2004, 12:32 AM
Morry.

That is a good, sensible unit. Well done.

What finish have you used on the floor sheet material? I have used some, salvaged, to line part of my shop and still have a couple of sheets.

My saw is a Bosch SCMS which poses some additional issues, but the basic design looks like a good starting point.

BTW. I like cats too. Properly flattened, they make great mouse pads.

Rob.

morry
25th June 2004, 12:42 AM
Robert

The finish is just a coat of satin poly varnish to seal it. I have tried to finish all the exposed edged of the sheeing with 3/8 strips of malasian red cedar but ran out and the wings were edged with oregon. It was a real scrap box clean out. The unit is quite functional if you take the time to ensure that the wings are level and inline with the saw's base.

Barry_White
25th June 2004, 12:19 PM
Hi Morry

I built the same work station but unlike you I did mortgage the house and bought 2 sheets of 17mm ply at $86.00 a sheet but I was a bit lazy and didn't bother to put any finish on it. I just wanted to get the saw off the floor and use it.

craigb
25th June 2004, 12:34 PM
Barry,

Is that a Ryobi SCMS in the station?

You could of course use MDF couldn't you ? If you didnt want to got to the expense of using ply that is.

Barry_White
25th June 2004, 06:16 PM
Craig

Yes that is a Ryobi SCMS. I also made the depth stop for it that John G designed. See his thread. http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=6743&highlight=SCMS+Depth+Stop

Why do you ask.

You could use MDF the only problem with MDF is when you screw into the edge it tends to want to split. This wouldn't be a problem where the edge is in a dado. There is a couple of places in the saw station where the edge isn't in a dado. But if you were careful you could avoid the splitting.

morry
26th June 2004, 12:10 AM
Barry

You have even gone for the offcut bin. My offcuts get wisked away by my 3 year old for his projects (most end up in the living room). What stop have you used on yours as the plans call for a flip stop made from hardboard.

Barry_White
26th June 2004, 11:27 AM
Hi Morry

I did make the stop that was in the book and it works ok. I used a bit of stingy bark hardwood for it. For the fence I used Meranti but I think it is a bit soft for that purpose and in hindsite instead of cutting the groove in the top of the fence I would have used the Capral Marine sail track with a slightly different setup. See the picture

As I said earlier I made the John G depth stop for my saw. See the picture.