PDA

View Full Version : Vintage wire tensioner Help

Grinzola
18th May 2009, 10:27 AM
Looking for some help on how to use these wire tensioners

joe greiner
18th May 2009, 09:52 PM
Harder than concrete to explain in words alone, and Google wasn't much help in finding illustrations of procedure.

Apparatus like this is typically used in leap-frog or inchworm fashion to incrementally apply tension. As each set of hooks is used, the companion hooks become slack enough to allow re-purchase on an adjoining link of the chain. When the first pull is released, the second is allowed to engage for a successive pull. (I said it was hard to explain.)

Is there any manufacturer data on the handle? That could provide more keywords for a search.

Or perhaps someone can explain it better.

I've used pairs of hand winches (come alongs) in a similar manner on more robust chain. If you think about how that could work, the use of this tool might become obvious, although it isn't clear how the second pair of hooks are used.

Cheers,
Joe

Vernonv
19th May 2009, 01:26 PM
I've got a very similar style of strainers, but with different wire grips. It is very hard to explain, but basically you use the small and large hooks to creep your way up the chain. Note that the small hook should be on the other side of the handle (same side as the large hook).

Manuka Jock
19th May 2009, 02:02 PM
Vintage ... :o They are still available brand new ....... :D

Hayes make theirs still , with the occasional change over the years , to accommodate to fencing materials and styles.

As the guys have said , a bit hard to explain the using of them , easy as , when shown.

Found this (http://tinyurl.com/plfevu)... with the photo below

Wire strainer

This wire strainer was invented and manufactured by the Hayes company in Oturehua, Central Otago. Two clamps hold two wires, which are strained by alternately moving the jaws of the mechanism along the length of the chain. Once the barbed wire is strained to the desired tension, the two wires are looped together and tied, or the barbed wire is tied around the post, and the short wire removed.