PDA

View Full Version : Offset turning

macca2
25th June 2004, 04:53 PM
This is my first attempt at offset turning. I dont have an offset chuch so turned it between centres using different offsets for the tail stock.

Now that I have had a go I would like to learn more. Does anyone have knowledge of a website or book that would help and also what projects can this method be used for, or is it just a decorative thing that we do to ammuse ourselves.

Thanks

Macca :rolleyes:

rsser
26th June 2004, 03:48 PM
Looks good Macca!

Now you can start churning out cabriole legs ;-}

Do a google on Escoulen - should throw up something to consider.

Ern

journeyman Mick
26th June 2004, 04:35 PM
This is my first attempt at offset turning........
and also what projects can this method be used for......
Thanks

Macca :rolleyes:

Macca, I need a new crankshaft for a motor, perhaps you can whip up one for me. :D

Mick

arose62
26th June 2004, 08:09 PM
My local library has a book called "Multi-centre Turning" (or very similar), which has quite a few projects.

From memory, there's how to make some fruit (banana, pear, aubergine), several ways to decorate the outside of vases, a kid's toy snake that's quite similar to your piece, a cabriole leg, and other stuff.

It might be worth trying to get a look at a copy of this.

Cheers,
Andrew

macca2
28th June 2004, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the feedback fellas.......Escoulen is a great site Ern but I think I should have started this wood turning caper years ago instead of 3 years ago after retirement.

Mick....can't do you a crank shaft but can do heaps of saw dust if you have a noisy diff.

Andrew... thanks for the info and I will checkout the local library.

Cheers Macca :D

colhu
4th July 2004, 11:08 PM
The book Andrew was referring to sounds like "Multi-Centre Turning" by Ray Hopper, published by Guild of Master Craftsman Publications Limited, East Essex, UK. As well as the fruit, it includes how to make cabriole legs for Ern!

cheers, Colin