PDA

View Full Version : Spin tops

jefferson
20th May 2009, 04:58 PM
Last time was up, he gave me a set of exercises. One of them was spin tops.

I have a few designs was my Raffan books, but if anyone has some "testing" projects with pics I'd appreciate it.

It's hard to understand, but heavier woods seem to spin better. Or at least the softer woods need a different profile.

What I am needing is a challenge. The new VM100 chuck arrived today and I've attached the long nose jaws. I'm up to it at the moment, so please flood me with mics on what I should be striving for.

Jeff

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th May 2009, 06:04 PM
A challenge? Make a functional Tippe top from one piece of wood. :D

I have about a 30% failure rate, but comparing a "failure" to a "success" they look identical to me. :rolleyes:

RETIRED
20th May 2009, 07:18 PM
How about this Jeff?http://home.wanadoo.nl/gouwegroep/detolvancor.html

Do a google with spinning tops as the search and blow your mind.:D

Manuka Jock
20th May 2009, 07:44 PM
It's hard to understand, but heavier woods seem to spin better. Jeff
Jeff ,
make one out of Balsa wood , and one out of Lignum Vitae wood and see the difference :)

Mass weight velocity or something I 'spose

jefferson
20th May 2009, 10:41 PM
A challenge? Make a functional Tippe top from one piece of wood. :D

I have about a 30% failure rate, but comparing a "failure" to a "success" they look identical to me. :rolleyes:

How about this Jeff?http://home.wanadoo.nl/gouwegroep/detolvancor.html

Do a google with spinning tops as the search and blow your mind.:D

Just figuring out how to do this multi quote stuff!

Skew, forgive me, what's a Tippe top?

, even you would have to be in awe of that kind of turning on the link provided. Get a bigger lathe old son, us youngsters are coming up behind you under your expert tuition. Give me another 5 years....

As for turning balsa, I'm just starting to get better on pine. It's the redgum that gives me trouble.

But the tops are great practice. I had to turn the stem on the last one right handed, as the gouge kept skipping left too close to the jaws. (Yep, , I'm learning some. Keep the tool in check by locking the thumb on the tool rest.)

Seriously, what I was looking for was shapes. And some math on balance etc. I still haven't figured out how to have a long stem without the top wandering!

I turned a couple today (I try to do "good turns everyday" but rarely make it) out of Murray pine. Damn stuff splits if you're not careful and it is slippery.

Jeff

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th May 2009, 11:09 PM
Skew, forgive me, what's a Tippe top?

YouTube - The Tippe Top

:D

jefferson
20th May 2009, 11:25 PM
Geez Skew, I asked for challenges, not impossibles!

I'm having some problems (well, many) turning a round end with the wood stuck in the chuck. Some days OK, but mostly not.

There is a sign in my shed that says many things, including "move the #$% handle to follow the bevel". Thanks . I try.

I have some spindle gouges that are - at least to me - not entirely suited to the task. A Hamlet "German" spindle gouge (very thick), and another thin Hamlet "continental" gouge. The first has a long bevel, the other is very short and thin. Neither makes it easy for beginners.

I'm half way thru the pine blanks that left me for honey dippers, so I need to move onto something new. (Not that I get them right either).

I've got plenty of good wood here and don't want to waste it.

Jeff

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th May 2009, 11:51 PM
Geez Skew, I asked for challenges, not impossibles!

Impossible? Nar. But it can be a challenge working accurately to a plan (eg. http://www.markstleger.com/Tippy%20Top.jpg) especially at small scale.

Turn a little, measure. Turn, a little measure.

I get too impatient and just "wanna finish it now!" :B

jefferson
20th May 2009, 11:55 PM
Skew, I'll check it out and try tomorrow. Expect some pics of failures!

Thanks for it. It will test me in the morning.

Jeff

jefferson
21st May 2009, 06:15 PM
Skew, if you don't mind, please turn one of those tops up for me - I'll cover your costs of course. If you're happy with that, I'll PM my address etc.

I tried three times. I used the long nose Vicmarc jaws with a 15mm spigot - but it wouldn't hold in the jaws while trying to hollow with my little Ci2. Not so sure about those jaws - maybe I need to forget the spigot / tenon and insert the piece all the way into the jaws. Seems a waste of wood though.

So exactly how do you hollow out the inside of the top? (While leaving the stem intact).

I tried to follow the directions carefully, but didn't quite get past square 1.

Simple questions from a simpleton turner of no note.

Jeff

Sprog
21st May 2009, 10:01 PM
So exactly how do you hollow out the inside of the top? (While leaving the stem intact).

More instructions for the Tippy Top :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd May 2009, 01:14 AM
I turn 'em with the top's handle pointing towards the tailstock, so I can simply hollow it out with a small scraper. An oland tool works well for this.

I'll happily turn you one, hopefully I'll manage to make one that flips. :wink:

jefferson
22nd May 2009, 05:28 AM
Thanks Skew and Sprog.

It seems that I now must learn to use the Oland tools that Ern made for me, as I have nothing else that will cut / scrape the inside of the top. Just keep the tool angling down, right?

Hopefully an update later in the day.

Jeff

joe greiner
22nd May 2009, 11:56 PM
Try turning an oversize version first. Then progress to smaller, as you gain control. The oversize versions might, or might not, behave the same.

Cheers,
Joe

tea lady
23rd May 2009, 12:03 AM
When I was little I had a top shaped like an apple but with an outy instead of an inny on the bottom. :cool: Not that it spun as well as space ship shaped ones. :shrug: But I liked it cos it was mine. :cool:Could be an idea. Fruit tops. :D :think: Or space ship tops.

pommyphil
23rd May 2009, 07:44 AM
Australian Wood Review issue #27 page 80 Flip Tops

I knew I'd seen them somewhere