PDA

View Full Version : heres one for Ern

hughie
21st May 2009, 01:45 AM
A snake hollower from another angle. This strikes me as a good design, one of the better ones I have seen to date.

YouTube - Kobra Deep Hollowing System Part 1

hughie
21st May 2009, 01:47 AM
YouTube - Kobra Deep Hollowing System Part 2

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st May 2009, 02:03 AM
"Embedding disabled by request."

Have to go to YouTube to watch it. :~

I like the way the tips (bits that hold the cutters) are replaceable, to provide the different angles. :think: Potential additions for the RipSnorter? :wink:

Ironwood
21st May 2009, 09:57 AM
Just watched both of those, looks like a good bit of gear.

Wonder what it costs to buy?

Manuka Jock
21st May 2009, 10:02 AM
:2tsup::whs:

RETIRED
21st May 2009, 11:27 AM
http://www.svwoodturners.org/Handouts/HollowingSystems/KobraPricing.html

Really blow your mind here:http://www.svwoodturners.org/Handouts/HollowingSystems/HollowingSystems1.html

texx
21st May 2009, 12:53 PM
all you have to do is double left click and it will take you straight to it , this is the case with all posts that come up with that message

jefferson
21st May 2009, 08:15 PM
If I ever, ever, get into deep hollowing with such tools. someone please put me out of my misery. There are enough turning challenges out there without trying to deep hollow down 12 inches/ 300mm.

And I go wonder how our Oz hardwoods would go in any case?

Jeff

rsser
21st May 2009, 09:21 PM
Thanks Hughie.

I've used the Vicmarc hollowing support system a bit and it's smooth in clear wood but bounces around when you hit a knot.

I thought it was exxy but those Yank prices are something else.

Jeff, no drama, you just sharpen a lot :rolleyes: and go deep and or narrow so you don't have to sand much :wink:

joe greiner
22nd May 2009, 12:14 AM
Two or three "improvements" in a single tool?

The snake tip could apply to any system.
Ditto the laser.
The elbow-type contraptions provide more opportunities for slop, and captive rigs ala Jamieson seem more robust to me.

Elegance is achieved not by adding as much complexity as possible, but by removing as much as possible.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Cheers,
Joe

hughie
22nd May 2009, 01:37 AM
What I liked about this particular version was the ease of use and freedom of movement that it would assist anybody with restricted hand or arm movements.

No doubt the construction that looks like welded and then machined with bearings internally would be pricey. But if gets you back into turning........

I would probably modify it a bit. The multi piece foot looks like it could do with been made in one piece. Would also have varing handle lengths and positions, if not a general short one.