PDA

View Full Version : Binding Banjo

Ed Reiss
23rd May 2009, 12:10 PM
Quick Tip - when the banjo sticks and binds, rub wax paper along the ways for a slick surface.:cool:

rsser
24th May 2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks Ed.

Why not just a bit of paste wax?

orificiam
24th May 2009, 09:00 PM
Thanks Ed you could also use candle wax.
Cheers Tony.:)

Ed Reiss
25th May 2009, 12:20 PM
Thanks Ed.

Why not just a bit of paste wax?

Paste wax works just fine, as you no doubt know, but I find it easier just to tear off a section of wax paper instead of getting the can, a rag, putting it on, waiting a couple of minutes and then buffing (I'm lazy !!!!!)

hughie
25th May 2009, 12:47 PM
Paste wax works just fine, as you no doubt know, but I find it easier just to tear off a section of wax paper instead of getting the can, a rag, putting it on, waiting a couple of minutes and then buffing

quick and easy is good, yup! :2tsup:

turnerted
25th May 2009, 05:47 PM
Mine just started started sticking a bit, probably due to a bit of DO dripping on the ways . No grease proof paper handy but a quick rub with a block of canarba wax worked treat .

Ted

joe greiner
25th May 2009, 10:19 PM
Hoping to learn something new each day, why in the world does one want the banjo to NOT bind? The tool rest is already the weak link in the chain of support.

What am I missing here:?

Cheers,
Joe

Ed Reiss
25th May 2009, 10:56 PM
:doh: ....of course it needs to "bind", Joe, but not when in the process of positioning it.

Manuka Jock
25th May 2009, 11:02 PM
Quick Tip - when the banjo sticks and binds, rub wax paper along the ways for a slick surface.:cool:

So the wee waxed paper wrappers from lollies are ok then ? :rolleyes:

Ed Reiss
25th May 2009, 11:36 PM
So the wee waxed paper wrappers from lollies are ok then ? :rolleyes:

huh ? ....I think I need a translation, MJ.

Manuka Jock
25th May 2009, 11:59 PM
huh ? ....I think I need a translation, MJ.

Ed ,
wee lollies wrapped in waxed paper :2tsup:

TTIT
26th May 2009, 12:50 AM
lollies = candy :U

joe greiner
26th May 2009, 02:38 AM
Lollipops, or Tootsie Roll pops, Ed. IIRC, the paper is waxed only on the candy side.

The eccentric on my banjo clamp seems to wander around anyway, so I just find the mid-range by tweaking the nut occasionally. No waxed paper to lose in the pile of shavings.

Cheers,
Joe

Ed Reiss
26th May 2009, 05:27 AM
Ed ,
wee lollies wrapped in waxed paper :2tsup:

I can get this kind of abuse at home (and usually do !!!) MJ ...don't really have to go half way round the world to get it :doh::D:D:D

Lollipops, or Tootsie Roll pops, Ed. IIRC, the paper is waxed only on the candy side.

The eccentric on my banjo clamp seems to wander around anyway, so I just find the mid-range by tweaking the nut occasionally. No waxed paper to lose in the pile of shavings.

Cheers,
Joe

...so not only do you get wax, but all that gooey candy stuff also :o:doh::D:D:D

BTW...for any ex-pats in NZ, Tas, or OZ, and else where, please take some time to remember our departed vets this Memorial Day :usa:

docusk
26th May 2009, 08:48 AM
Just came back aboard after 6 months of hell! Burgled me new workshop, stole the contents and left me with stacks of clear up and re-stocking to do.
Now I'm back, First question, what's a banjo (and don't say a lollipop on a stick with strings!)

docusk Berkshire England.

RETIRED
26th May 2009, 08:59 AM
Just came back aboard after 6 months of hell! Burgled me new workshop, stole the contents and left me with stacks of clear up and re-stocking to do.
Now I'm back, First question, what's a banjo (and don't say a lollipop on a stick with strings!)

docusk Berkshire England.It sucks when someone claims your gear.
Been robbed twice. Now a very good burglar alarm keeps them away.

A banjo holds the tool rest. It is also played in the hill country.:D

docusk
26th May 2009, 09:06 AM
Silly old me. It's late at night here (that's my excuse).
Of course it is, I have them on my Record lathe.

Nice to be back folks. Love the wit and humour.
Burglar alarm in place plus CCTV, I'll get the b......s if they do it again.
docusk

Ed Reiss
26th May 2009, 09:21 AM
Welcome back to the forums docusk:U

beat me to the answer to your question, so I'm not going to tell you:q:D:D:D

Bummer about the robbery...perhaps an investment in a junkyard dog might help in future.

Manuka Jock
26th May 2009, 09:41 AM
Silly old me. It's late at night here (that's my excuse).
Of course it is, I have them on my Record lathe.

Nice to be back folks. Love the wit and humour.
Burglar alarm in place plus CCTV, I'll get the b......s if they do it again.
docusk
ok , you have more than one banjo the record ? ,,,, do they duel :D