PDA

View Full Version : bowl

texx
24th May 2009, 08:27 PM
ok at the brisbane wood show i lashed out and bought a vic 100 chuck among other things.
including a few bits of camphor new grinder stone some pen stuff and bits and pieces ,so i had to try out the chuck on my first bowl for almost 20 years .
had to get the rust of the chisels first cos all i have done on the lathe for a very long time is one pen, then i had to fit the new stone and put an edge on said chisels .
mounted up the smallest bit of camphor and here is the little bowl i made .
don't really care that much about the bowl just enjoyed smelling the camphor again.

Claw Hama
24th May 2009, 08:55 PM
Very nice Texx, clears the nose and pleases the eye.

orificiam
24th May 2009, 08:56 PM
Well done Texx nice bowl beautiful finished and a nice shape as well.I can almost smell it from here.
Cheers Tony.:2tsup::2tsup:

thefixer
24th May 2009, 08:57 PM
G'day Texx

I don't understand how you could let a lathe sit idle for so long but it must feel good to be getting back into it. Nice bowl on your return to turning. hope to see many more.

Cheers
Shorty

Sawdust Maker
24th May 2009, 09:04 PM
How did your chisels rust - the only ones of mine which do are the stainless :doh:

BTW - nice bowl
Camphor is a great timber - especially when you get it for nuthin!

texx
24th May 2009, 09:36 PM
G'day Texx

I don't understand how you could let a lathe sit idle for so long but it must feel good to be getting back into it. Nice bowl on your return to turning. hope to see many more.

Cheers
Shorty
built the lathe and used the lathe when i lived in brisbane , then when i moved bush no power no room no time .
we have a shop in town now but the lathe just got buried under stuff in the shed at the back of the shop and there was always some thing else to do more important than drag the lathe out still no power at home but am making time to do some turning when i'm not sitting in a tractor or trying to make a living , i grow pumpkins as well they have kept me pretty busy at times, also work part time for a guy on a irrigation farm ,

Timber stacker
25th May 2009, 11:27 PM
Nice bowl, you must have a good eye for curves if that your first bowl in 20 years. Welcome back to turning, can't wait to see more.

Ed Reiss
25th May 2009, 11:34 PM
Good job, Texx ...and camphor sure does smell nice !!!!

BTW...all those pumpkins you grow, they don't turn well at all :no::no::no::D

Farnk
26th May 2009, 10:47 PM
Sweet bit of work mate, well done!:2tsup:

Rum Pig
27th May 2009, 08:45 AM
I like little bowls like that they make great gifts especially filled with chocolates:D
Well done:2tsup:

Good job, Texx ...and camphor sure does smell nice !!!!

BTW...all those pumpkins you grow, they don't turn well at all :no::no::no::D
You need to stabilise them first by drilling a small hole in the top and pouring about 2 litters of CA in:U:doh::no:

texx
27th May 2009, 07:46 PM
I like little bowls like that they make great gifts especially filled with chocolates:D
Well done:2tsup:

You need to stabilise them first by drilling a small hole in the top and pouring about 2 litters of CA in:U:doh::no:
i was down in the block on tuesday picked another one and a half ton and found that the cockatoo's have already started getting them ready for turning they have found that there are seeds inside and started pre drilling the holes in some of them , i am only about one third through the picking ( 12 acres ) so i may have to do a bit of cocky control .
the guy down the road has just harvested his peanuts and corn so they have decided to pick on my pumpkins ,the crows hammered my melons , next the feral pigs will find the pumpkins they can make a hell of a mess in one night if there is enough of em .
i feel a small war comming on.

Ed Reiss
28th May 2009, 03:13 AM
i feel a small war comming on.

...then you'll be needing one of these :2tsup:

texx
28th May 2009, 08:18 AM
50 cal may be just a tad over kill , i am going out there today just taking the 17 remmy with me

Rum Pig
28th May 2009, 08:40 AM
50 cal may be just a tad over kill , i am going out there today just taking the 17 remmy with me
Good luck:2tsup:

Please do not take on any of the pigs with that gun:no: I have seen what a of pig can do and its not nice:o:no::o

May be the pumpkin patch dolls need to start a animal range:U:D (sorry I could not help myself)

texx
28th May 2009, 08:57 AM
that rifle has claimed many many pigs .
it is only a bruno zkw 465 twin set trigger in .17 ackley hornet cal .3.5 to 10 x 50ao vari III leopold sitting on top. built for clean kill minuim or nill skin damage
its my old pro fox shooting rig , but has downed a lot of pigs what it lacks in energy on impact it makes up for in accuracy

Ed Reiss
28th May 2009, 11:57 AM
sub-cal shooting can be a lot of fun...but not so much fun if you miss and the porker doesn't:o