PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Amber

Reiner
24th May 2009, 11:55 PM
Hi all, I might be able to get my hands on some liquid amber. Two Trees ...... very old. Number 1 is about 600 thick and number 2 about 750.
Is it good for anything? Just thinking it would be a shame just to burn old trees like that.
Thanks
Reiner

weisyboy
25th May 2009, 08:47 AM
mate grad it.

its brilliant timber.

i got a heap of blocks for turning blanks. wich tehy had of been logs.

BobL
25th May 2009, 09:12 AM
I agree, It makes very nice timber.

Sigidi
25th May 2009, 10:18 AM
Yeah Grab it Reiner LOL;)

Broda
26th May 2009, 09:21 PM
are they those trees with the little spikey "balls" that are always on the ground around the tree?

DJ’s Timber
26th May 2009, 09:29 PM
are they those trees with the little spikey "balls" that are always on the ground around the tree?

Yep

Sigidi
28th May 2009, 11:05 AM
Anyone had experience with cuttin 'em? or pics of the sawn timber?

weisyboy
28th May 2009, 01:07 PM
its brilliant to cut ill see if i can find some pics.:2tsup:

bittenyakka
28th May 2009, 08:26 PM
SO how are they different to plain trees? or is it the not so furry spikey ball?

Sigidi
28th May 2009, 08:51 PM
Maybe they have heaps of yellow (amber) sappy (liquid) stuff in 'em LOL ;)

weisyboy
28th May 2009, 08:59 PM
i cant find any of my pics of liquid amber so here is one taken form google images.

http://www.brouelette.com/blog/liquidamber1.jpg

really nice timber to work. hard to describe its almost rubbery.

Sigidi
28th May 2009, 10:13 PM
looks an interesting colour/grain pattern - thanks Carl

glenn k
30th May 2009, 02:37 PM
SO how are they different to plain trees? or is it the not so furry spikey ball?

Nothing like each other Plane balls are fluffy where Liquidambar are hard and don't break up. Plane wood is sold as Lacewood and looks like fine structured Oak or very fine Silky Oak where as Liquidambar is a nothing looking wood but it is strong I have heard of a fellow who bought it to make axe handles.
It is also the worst fire wood I have ever tried to burn.

Reiner
30th May 2009, 06:41 PM
I'm still not sure if I get it or not. A friend of mine is a builder and he needs to get rid of the trees to built a Carport in Tamborine. The owner hired a tree lopper and I asked him what they do with the stumps. So he will ask the chainsaw man and if they don't have a use for them I might score the stumps. If not I want be to sad by the sound of things, it's not that I'm short on slabs since Sigidi was here :-)
cheers
Reiner

Sigidi
30th May 2009, 10:06 PM
Reiner I'd be interested in slicing them up for me if you can secure the logs in a place for me to mill them some time in the near future?

Reiner
30th May 2009, 10:14 PM
We go up the hill tomorrow and I find out what is going to happen to the stumps.
But you have to tell me what you do with them........maybe we have to do a deal?? :-)

weisyboy
30th May 2009, 10:29 PM
where abouts in brissy?

Sigidi
31st May 2009, 10:39 AM
Don't even think about it Carl.... I can hear your devious mind ticking over.....

Reiner it doesn't have to move from where it is unless it is in the way, as long as I can set up around it and slice it up? if it has to move/be gone from site, then need somewhere to put it before slicing it up...

Reiner
31st May 2009, 02:40 PM
The liquid Amber is gone......I would say somebody closer to the source wanted it. Well maybe next time....

Reiner

weisyboy
31st May 2009, 07:45 PM
i just ran out of LA and people keep asking for things made out of it:((.

Sigidi
1st June 2009, 10:57 AM
Yeah I told Reiner to snatch it as soon as he phoned me about it, but these things happen, it just wasn't meant to be.

Anyway Renier, you probably couldn't deal with me talking, I mean milling, yeah milling so soon again....;)