PDA

View Full Version : Tru Stone? Corian? Off cuts?

ElizaLeahy
27th May 2009, 03:16 PM
Can you turn Corian like Tru Stone?

I'm after some little off cuts - like an inch or so - to try. I want to put "stone" tops on some of my hair sticks and was thinking that drilling a hole through stick and stone, sticking with glue and wire and then turning might work.

Anyone have any bits that they want to sell/swap/give away?

wheelinround
27th May 2009, 03:17 PM
Yes to turning

there was a fellow on the forum from Vic some time ago offered off cuts never heard from again

ElizaLeahy
27th May 2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks! I found a place that makes it and I'm going to go rummage through their scraps :)

mkypenturner
27th May 2009, 08:52 PM
eliza just go down to local cabinetmaker that uses it in bench tops and they should give u heaps of scraps for nothing but hey in doing so turn up a pen in it and give it back as a gift that will keep the supply open and hey you may even get asked to make some pens for a gift for their clients when they get a kitchen

troy

joe greiner
27th May 2009, 08:58 PM
I'm not familiar with Trustone itself, but some such products, like Zodiaq (sp?), are excellent for destroying lathe tools. Real Corian is much more benign, as is Formica "Traditions." Granite and quartz are the killer ingredients, unlike marble (much softer). Do some test cuts on a scrap of the proposed material, to be pleasantly (or unpleasantly) surprised.

Cheers,
Joe

PenTurner
28th May 2009, 10:02 AM
Cotian is a breeze compared to TRU Stone, Amos:)