PDA

View Full Version : Where's Cub??

artme
27th May 2009, 09:50 PM
Where are you Cub? Hope we didn't frighten you off? Or are you too busy to spend a bit of time with us?

Cheers mate. Hope all is well.:):):)

Cub
21st March 2011, 05:28 PM
Hi all
I have been over the past year or so been working on my woodwork, setting up my shop and focusing on my schoolwork and the school certificate this year. I have been perfecting my skills with working with wood. I have made some nice pieces recently. Now to my question, I am making a hall table for woodwork at school, it has to incorporate wood turned legs, I found a design on the web and have transfered it into a template, I have been making a few practice legs before I start on the final one, I can do everything fine, all my beads, coves and arcs look fine but when I try to make a shoulder every time it chips on the edges/corners. I am holding the skew chisel flat on the rest and basically turning it around the edge of the shoulder like as if I was making a bead, but it just chipps. I then tried to hold the skew chisel vertically with the furthermost part on the bottom (like Raffan) and slowly arc the chisel around, but this for me just diggs in and chatters (I know I am not doing it right). So how does one round the shoulder on a timber leg with a skew chisel, for a novice like me? Also I am using hoop pine 70x70.
Cheers and many thanks :2tsup:
David

RETIRED
21st March 2011, 06:10 PM
What speed are you running at?

I take it that you are talking about the pommel?

You say:
I am holding the skew chisel flat on the rest and basically turning it around the edge of the shoulder like as if I was making a bead, but it just chipps. This may help. about the 2:00 minute mark.YouTube - The Skew Chisel with Alan Batty (woodturning DVD preview)

Your tools are sharp, Aren't they?

Cub
21st March 2011, 06:32 PM
Thanks for your speedy reply, I have tried turning the shoulder at 1180rpm and at 1700rpm but this just made it worse. Pretty much before every time I use the woodlathe I sharpen the chisels I will need (by hand on a sharpening stone). I have just always called it the shoulder cut but yes I mean a Pommel. I am sure it just comes down to my technique, so any input is greatly apreciated.+
Just like this but going from round to square http://www.bigtreetools.com/images/articles/tn_DF-Fig4.jpg
Cheers
David

RETIRED
21st March 2011, 06:43 PM
You come from the square DOWN to the round, not twother way.

Always cut down hill.

Cub
21st March 2011, 08:22 PM
You come from the square DOWN to the round, not twother way.

Always cut down hill.

hey presto, thank you so much I just tried going from the square down to the round like you said and there were no chips, Thanks again
David:U