PDA

View Full Version : Rotting white cedar

mjford
1st June 2009, 05:58 PM
High all
I Was starting to turn a largish piece of White cedar which has a nice salting through it . But have found some areas of very soft almost rotten wood amongst it mainly where the centre grain is , about 50-60mm across
I have heard about "CA" What is it like? Where do I get it? What is it's name?
Can I use a PVA glue to do the job or will it not soak in enough? I have been using super glue for small cracks and defects, but this is to large an area for that. Would appreciate some help on this matter.
Regards
Dredgemaster.

artme
1st June 2009, 06:34 PM
Ah yes! what a wonderful thing spalting is - provided it doesn't go too far.

CA is Super Glue - Cyanoacrilate. When used on rotten grain it can be very effective. Use thin, good quality CA and apply a little at a time. Allow to set well between applications.

TTIT
2nd June 2009, 12:11 AM
What Artme said mate! :2tsup: There are several grades of CA and the one you've been using is probably the off-the-shelf 'medium' grade. 'Thin' CA is almost like water and will soak right into your spalted and punky areas.

rsser
2nd June 2009, 09:56 PM
Yep.

If you've got a lot of punky wood then maybe explore other options. The Yanks talk about a soaking epoxy and some proprietary products. Do a search of the AAW forum.

Grumpy John
3rd June 2009, 08:36 AM
You could try some of this (http://www.timbermate.com.au/download/factsheets/earls_wood_hardener.pdf), I've had mixed results with it. Bunnies have it, not cheap $25 for 250 Ml. If you do try it don't forget to rinse the sprayer out with clean water as the product hardens in the nozzle and blocks it, DAMHIKT :rolleyes:.