PDA

View Full Version : Insomnia

Gingermick
1st June 2009, 08:42 PM
I've had sleep problems since I was about 10 and since 19 have been medicating myself with sleep inducing things. It flares up and down, triggered by stress I assume, and is @#$^&^$ damdta34tq9p4850.1!.
So I would like to know if anyone here has had a crack at beating insomnia without drugs (medication / alcohol etc) and succeeded?

rsser
1st June 2009, 09:10 PM
Yeah, it's a sod ain't it.

Dealing with the stress helps a lot (a whole new topic there), and some stuff I've found useful, like half an hour of heart pounding exercise a day, cut down the booze ( heard of alcoholic insomnia? ), & make lunch the main meal if possible.

If I wake, I get up, make a cuppa tea, lie in bed reading; sleepiness comes in waves for most folk so it's just a matter of waiting for the next one.

Gingermick
2nd June 2009, 05:52 AM
Thanks Ern, he says at 4.38am. :-
I dont drink much but have experienced alcohol insomnia, made worse by the start of the hangover.
Getting up , having a cuppa and read (though probably not playing the computer at chess) sounds like a good idea. :2tsup:

rsser
2nd June 2009, 06:05 AM
Yep, that's what I'm doing ;-}

pietro
2nd June 2009, 09:52 AM
I think I can help with insomnia, just email me.- Peter-

Phil Spencer
2nd June 2009, 03:15 PM
I found meditation helpful, I can now fall asleap sitting on a kitchen chair. it amaizes every one how I don't fall off.

Gingermick
2nd June 2009, 06:39 PM
I think I can help with insomnia, just email me.- Peter-

How could you do that?

And Phil, I'm trying to get away from relying on benzodiazapines, and am a little concerned about hypnotics like stilnox; people have been reported to sleep drive and sleep assault (questionable surely) but other sleep doing things as well.

I decided this morning that as I dont get 8 hours of sleep ever, I may as well stay up a bit and try top get 6 hours straight. Then if I get a little more relaxed about it, go to bed at 11, then 10.
Kung fu training today and nearly got cramps in my quads. kicks and squats and stretching so got plenty of exercise :)

glen boulton
2nd June 2009, 06:57 PM
i am keeping an eye on this one as i have had it since i was 16 and now 41....it is a partner. so i will be interested to see what people say. good luck with it

rsser
2nd June 2009, 08:17 PM
Onya Mick.

Yeah, good move. Stay up as late as you can.

And take care if you're coming off benzodiazapine; there can be significant side-effects of withdrawal if you've been on them for a while.

And some folk recommend that if you wake up with the mind churning to note the issue down in a notebook and commit the problem to the daylight hours. Never tried this.

Phil Spencer
2nd June 2009, 08:31 PM
And Phil, I'm trying to get away from relying on benzodiazapines, and am a little concerned about hypnotics like stilnox; people have been reported to sleep drive and sleep assault (questionable surely) but other sleep doing things as well.

No drugs Mick, like you I useto have trouble getting to sleep, years ago the Vet gave me sleeping pills and other stuff, decided that I had to stop, so taught my self how to meditate and develop and attitude of living in the moment and trying not to worry about the past or the future and appreciate what realy matters, and now I seem to be able to zone out at will and also sleep better. Took a lot of work emotionaly and mentaly but it was worth it. Good luck:U

Gingermick
3rd June 2009, 03:02 PM
Thanks Phil, That sounds like what I'm trying to do, I just have to stick to it. But I may have to have a beer or three tonight whilst watching JT bamboozle the NSW defence. :D

Phil Spencer
3rd June 2009, 03:49 PM
Thanks Phil, That sounds like what I'm trying to do, I just have to stick to it. But I may have to have a beer or three tonight whilst watching JT bamboozle the NSW defence. :D

Beer and red wine work well in moderation Mick, One thing that helped me was comming to understand that the body will eventually take the sleep that it needs. For some people its eight hours and others it is less.

Reading about Buddhist philosophies also helped some how it seemed to make sense and bring my mind to peace.

Regards

Phil

rsser
3rd June 2009, 09:26 PM
A simple relaxation routine is to sit comfortably, or lie down, and just listen to your breathing (through the nose) for 20 minutes.

Your mind will wander and that's fine; just notice where it went to and then bring your attention back to the breathing.

looseless
3rd June 2009, 11:19 PM
I've got a good mate who had a serious serious motorbike accident over 12 months ago, and suffered severe head trauma. He has had a lot of trouble sleeping since coming out of rehab (he is recovering very well).

Just last week he followed a friends advice to drink warm milk about 30 minutes before going to bed. He doesn't like milk much, so he tried hot chocolate and he slept right thru. the night for the first time in ages. It's been working well since he tried it, and he swears by it. He is now sleeping like a baby..................

(he wakes up crying with a wet nappy every hour or so......:;....:doh:)
Only joking, :aro-u: but the first part is fair dinkum...:2tsup::!

Grumpy John
3rd June 2009, 11:47 PM
Mick, I find that a Mike Darlow DVD works wonders, 5 minutes and I'm out like a light :D.
Seriously, when I wake up in the early mornings (usually 2:00a.m. or thereabout) with the mind full of weird ideas I find watching a good movie will put me back to sleep, I can never remember seeing the end credits. I guess keeping the mind occupied on other things keeps the "monsters" at bay. I had a lot of sleepless nights about 10 years ago when I lost my business, and then again about 12 months ago when I became unemployed. All's good now, but I still have the odd sleepless night.

Gingermick
4th June 2009, 09:21 AM
A simple relaxation routine is to sit comfortably, or lie down, and just listen to your breathing (through the nose) for 20 minutes.

Your mind will wander and that's fine; just notice where it went to and then bring your attention back to the breathing.

I did a course with Michael Domeyko Rowland (http://www.lifeact.com/) last year and learned about meditation. I prefer the body awareness technique, but just need to do it more often.
(I also did a buteyko breathing course and never breathe through my mouth )
I'm feeling quite hopeful about the matter now, thanks to everyone here:2tsup:

Phil Spencer
4th June 2009, 10:11 AM
I've got a good mate who had a serious serious motorbike accident over 12 months ago, and suffered severe head trauma. He has had a lot of trouble sleeping since coming out of rehab (he is recovering very well).

Just last week he followed a friends advice to drink warm milk about 30 minutes before going to bed. He doesn't like milk much, so he tried hot chocolate and he slept right thru. the night for the first time in ages. It's been working well since he tried it, and he swears by it. He is now sleeping like a baby..................

(he wakes up crying with a wet nappy every hour or so......:;....:doh:)
Only joking, :aro-u: but the first part is fair dinkum...:2tsup::!

Mick, I find that a Mike Darlow DVD works wonders, 5 minutes and I'm out like a light :D.
Seriously, when I wake up in the early mornings (usually 2:00a.m. or thereabout) with the mind full of weird ideas I find watching a good movie will put me back to sleep, I can never remember seeing the end credits. I guess keeping the mind occupied on other things keeps the "monsters" at bay. I had a lot of sleepless nights about 10 years ago when I lost my business, and then again about 12 months ago when I became unemployed. All's good now, but I still have the odd sleepless night.

I went back to school in my late forty's to study business and Marketing, I found that reading an accounting book worked well also, one paragraph and I was off. :rolleyes:

What I do now to help with meditating is to plug the I Pod in and listen to the sounds of the bush or waves. If I chose to have music when I close my eyes I can see the colour of the music (sounds odd), this helps me to meditate also and get me off.

Good luck Mick

Phil

chrisb691
6th June 2009, 05:42 AM
Happens to me in patches. Don't know what's causing it, but I've been going through a patch for the last week or so. Desparately tired, but watching the clock change all night. Gets a bit frustrating.

I thought if I read this thread, it might make me nod off......but it didn't work. :D

rsser
6th June 2009, 06:02 AM
Yeah, borrow a Darlow DVD ... ideal sedative with no side effects ;-}

Gingermick
6th June 2009, 10:32 AM
but watching the clock change all night.

Get rid of it.