PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the tip on a bottle of CA clear

Ed Reiss
4th June 2009, 12:20 PM
We've all experienced the tip of a bottle of CA get completel cloged, so you get out the miniature pig sticker and try to ream the cement-like dried hard ca to clear the tip.

Well, I've found a method where the glue wont harden in the tip...after use, get a small piece of cloth and dab the tip portion where the hole is. The dabbing wicks up any glue that is there and clears the tip hole for next use.:cool:

Grumpy John
4th June 2009, 12:36 PM
That is the very reason why the front of my turning t-shirt is as stiff as a board :rolleyes:.

Woodwould
4th June 2009, 12:44 PM
We've all experienced the tip of a bottle of CA get completel cloged, so you get out the miniature pig sticker and try to ream the cement-like dried hard ca to clear the tip.

Well, I've found a method where the glue wont harden in the tip...after use, get a small piece of cloth and dab the tip portion where the hole is. The dabbing wicks up any glue that is there and clears the tip hole for next use.:cool:

Gee thanks! My bottle of CA is now stuck to one of our bed sheets hanging on the line and the wife is due home any minute!

:)

Grumpy John
4th June 2009, 12:54 PM
Gee thanks! My bottle of CA is now stuck to one of our bed sheets hanging on the line and the wife is due home any minute!

:rofl:

RETIRED
4th June 2009, 12:55 PM

:)
get a small piece of cloth You should have used a pillow slip.:doh:

Woodwould
4th June 2009, 01:04 PM
You should have used a pillow slip.:doh:

I already used them to soak up some spilt stain.

Calm
4th June 2009, 01:18 PM
That is the very reason why the front of my turning t-shirt is as stiff as a board :rolleyes:.

That one i am leaving alone.:roll::doh:

munruben
4th June 2009, 01:42 PM
Gee thanks! My bottle of CA is now stuck to one of our bed sheets hanging on the line and the wife is due home any minute!:)Aw! she's not going to notice a little thing like that. :D

texx
4th June 2009, 07:34 PM
you could do what i did the other day ( before my lathe motor packed it in )i was finishing a pen and was looking at the pen while taking the top off the CA instead of taking the top off i unscrewed the whole lot then brought the bottle to the work without noticing the whole top was off in my other hand and tipped half a bottle of CA on the pen , if you use that method you use up a bottle quick enough that it has no time to accumulate enough to block the nozzle:2tsup:

Christos
4th June 2009, 07:59 PM
Aw! she's not going to notice a little thing like that. :D

Are we still talking about bed sheets.

Christos
4th June 2009, 08:01 PM
you could do what i did the other day ( before my lathe motor packed it in )i was finishing a pen and was looking at the pen while taking the top off the CA instead of taking the top off i unscrewed the whole lot then brought the bottle to the work without noticing the whole top was off in my other hand and tipped half a bottle of CA on the pen , if you use that method you use up a bottle quick enough that it has no time to accumulate enough to block the nozzle:2tsup:

Then I guess the pen is actually a CA made pen.

badgaz
4th June 2009, 08:16 PM
...smear vaseline on the tip of your CA bottle to prevent the lid sticking to it...and keep your bottle in the beer fridge to extend it's shelf life. Or, if you're an ACT resident, leave both the beer and the CA outside during our blissful winter season and enjoy the natural icy coldness whilst minimising your carbon footprint.:;

Gazza

Ed Reiss
4th June 2009, 10:08 PM
I already used them to soak up some spilt stain.

That one i am leaving alone.:roll::doh:

........................... :whs:

Sawdust Maker
4th June 2009, 10:35 PM
no comment on some of the comments :rolleyes:

I've noticed that if one wipes the nozzle with a cloth or tissue before putting the cap on then there are less problems as well.
Skew sometime ago mentioned keeping the rotten stuff in a container with a bag/satchel of that moisture absorbent stuff - seems to work

badgaz
there's a very good reason on why I moved out of the ACT. Frozen beer on the back verandah without a fridge :p

Tim the Timber Turner
5th June 2009, 10:50 AM
Vic Wood taught me this trick many years ago.

After opening a new bottle of CA, throw away the cap.

Replacing the cap prevents the glue from running back into the bottle.

The air in the nozzle is then excluded and the glue left in the nozzle can be activated.

To prevent spills if the bottle gets knocked over I made a small stand with a handle to hold the CA and the accelerator.

And no the CA won’t go off if you leave the cap off.

Try it. :2tsup:

Cheers

Tim

petersemple
5th June 2009, 11:35 AM
I don't quite throw away the cap, but I do leave it off for a long time before coming back and replacing it. Now I only get a bit of buildup on the outside of the nozzle, which you could wipe away with a cloth easily enough.

Peter

Jim Carroll
5th June 2009, 01:58 PM
Vic Wood taught me this trick many years ago.

After opening a new bottle of CA, throw away the cap.

Replacing the cap prevents the glue from running back into the bottle.

The air in the nozzle is then excluded and the glue left in the nozzle can be activated.

To prevent spills if the bottle gets knocked over I made a small stand with a handle to hold the CA and the accelerator.

And no the CA won’t go off if you leave the cap off.

Try it. :2tsup:

Cheers

Tim

:iagree: Also leave it in the fridge helps

dai sensei
5th June 2009, 05:31 PM
:? If the CA goes off on your work without accelorator, that I do all the time, why wouldn't it go off in the bottle with the lid off?

Tim the Timber Turner
5th June 2009, 08:45 PM
Neil mate, and any other non believers out there.

Just try it.

Trust me I’m a woodturner.:U

Cheers

Tim:)

issatree
5th June 2009, 08:51 PM
Hi All Again,
I feel I'm doing this twice today. I use Loctite 401 & 406. I use a small wooden bowl, 3" x 3" or 70-75mm. to lay the bottle on an angle,so the Glue runs back down the hole. Yes it closes, but after many goes at using it. I just use a pr.of pliers,& break away the set stuff, & the hole becomes open.
I never ever use the caps again, unless I'm to travel. As I stated in "the C/A will not stick", my glues stay in the bowl, S,W,A, & Spring, & only leaves when the bottle is dry. I buy my glue for $12 for 25ml., now thats a lot of difference to almost $20 from the Engineering Shops.
REGARDS,
ISSATREE.

Tim the Timber Turner
5th June 2009, 09:02 PM
Sorry Issa.

I'm a bit deaf.

Would you mind repeating that again please.:roll:

Cheers

Tim:)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th June 2009, 09:05 PM
Neil mate, and any other non believers out there.

Just try it.

Trust me I’m a woodturner.:U

It works for me.

Mind you, the fact that a bottle generally only lasts 5 mins on one of my turnings may have something to do with that. (It's still way cheaper than using several packs of "6 tubes for $2" stuff...)

"Trust me I’m a woodturner." :rotfl:

TTIT
6th June 2009, 12:10 AM
I think I'll choose to stay a non-believer :shrug: Maybe in a zero-humidity climate you could get away with it but when moisture is the catalyst, leaving it exposed to the air must set it off eventually and I'm not going to blow a $22 bottle to find out. I'll stick with keeping the bottle in a sealed jar with dessicant sacks to soak up the humidity - just keeps on going right to the end of the bottle that way. :;

tea lady
6th June 2009, 12:18 AM
So what's the problem? The lid sticks on? :think: I recently got two differant batches of CA from $2 shops. On one batch I could never get the lid off the tube the second time. And the other has different plastic and doesn't stick. :shrug: I think I'll be saving the caps off those tubes to use on others if I get some that stick again. I reckon its a plastic problem, and the manufacturer should fix it.:((...... (I've never tried the 'spencive stuff, so I could be wrong. ) :D