PDA

View Full Version : What great timber

Greg Hall
5th June 2009, 08:44 AM
Hi All,
I managed to get my hands on a Camphour Laurel blank (30 cm by 10 cm), and it produced the following:
What great timber to work with! The workshop smelled like a jar of Vicks Vapour Rub by the time I finished.
Thanks for looking
Greg.

wheelinround
5th June 2009, 09:03 AM
Greg beaut colour in that bowl whats the finish??

Yep love working with it

the other choice is NSW Rosewood smells great:2tsup:

Greg Hall
5th June 2009, 09:12 AM
Hi Wheelinround,
I'm glad you like it!
Sanded to 400 grit, then 0000 steelwool, EEE Ultrashine and two coats of Shellawax.
You can still smell it thru the finish.
Cheers,
Greg.

jackliveshere
5th June 2009, 09:26 AM
Very nice Greg, that's some lovely looking timber! Now...time to get my hands on some Camphor Laurel :think:

Ed Reiss
5th June 2009, 12:18 PM
Hi All,
I managed to get my hands on a Camphour Laurel blank (30 cm by 10 cm), and it produced the following:
What great timber to work with! The workshop smelled like a jar of Vicks Vapour Rub by the time I finished.
Thanks for looking
Greg.

it's great if you have sinus problems:U:q:D

Farnk
5th June 2009, 12:19 PM
Good work mate, :2tsup:

I reckon it's great stuff as well, always some interesting grain and figure and it turns very well. I'm not so sure about the shed smelling like a grandma's knicker drawer afterwards tho..:D

When I turn CL, I make sure that I'm wearing long sleeves with tight cuffs as the shavings bring my forearms out in an itchy rash for a couple of days.

dai sensei
5th June 2009, 12:25 PM
Looks good Greg. Turning Campher also keeps the mozzies away.

Sanded to 400 grit, then 0000 steelwool, EEE Ultrashine and two coats of Shellawax.

I'd avoid using the steelwool directly on bare wood, you sometimes find the very small steel fibres caught in the grain rusting a few months later :oo: Always seal the timber first to avoid this problem.

Ad de Crom
5th June 2009, 06:41 PM
Greg, beautiful low profile bowl, love the color of the camphour.
The name camphour told me that this wood smells very good, wish I could find some of that wood here in Holland.
Ad :2tsup:

powderpost
5th June 2009, 10:04 PM
Excellent job, well done.
Jim

funkychicken
5th June 2009, 10:16 PM
To quote The Benevolent Dictator

Avoid - Using steel wool, it's made for metal and use over a finish not for use on raw timber.

Try finer sandpaper instead

Mr Ad de Crom I can send you some Camphor If you want.

Sawdust Maker
5th June 2009, 11:15 PM
Nice looking bowl :2tsup:

tea lady
5th June 2009, 11:54 PM
:think: Hmm! Got some of that in the shelf somewhere. Will have to dig it out and see if I can make something as nice. :2tsup: