PDA

View Full Version : Outboard turning Dilemma

efgee88
6th June 2009, 12:31 PM
Can anyone tell me if they are happy with the Vicmarc outboard turning tripod (part no. V01481) and how much it costs roughly.

I have a large lump of root ball that I want to turn into something presentable using a DVRXP.
I was just about to buy the outrigger for the DVRXP when I realised it only extends 8in from the spindle thread, which means not much when you hold your job with a chuck & powergrips. I have also found that the banjo doesn't extend out far enough from the lathe bed if I rotate the head to the first or 2nd detent.

Hence my thought about a free standing tool rest like the above vicmarc.

The other alternative is to mount a solid supported bracket at 90deg from the stand at the head end of the lathe and bold a DVR bed section onto it. Anyone had a go at such a setup?

Even a longer banjo might help. Does a Stubby banjo fit into the DVR bed or is there such a thing as an articulating banjo to give that extra length (but still with rigidity)?

And finally, for anyone owning a vicmarc VL175 outrigger, what is the maximum extension from the spindle to the tool rest when the head is rotated at 90degrees, please?

Any answers to any of the above will be much appreciated,

Cheers,

FrankG

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th June 2009, 05:03 PM
Can anyone tell me if they are happy with the Vicmarc outboard turning tripod (part no. V01481) and how much it costs roughly.

Good questions. I'm in a similar boat to you and have been thinking about either making or buying a tripod. So I'm following with interest...

The other alternative is to mount a solid supported bracket at 90deg from the stand at the head end of the lathe and bold a DVR bed section onto it. Anyone had a go at such a setup?

I know a bloke who has made a similar setup, except the extension bolts to a slide that fits the ways. Sort of like bolting it to the tailstock. He bolts the extension bed to it, mounts the blank and then slides it up as close as feasible to the edge of the blank. Personally I'm not too impressed... as for large bowls in outboard mode (which is when you want to use it, right?) his banjo often needs to be "fully extended" (ie. hanging way off the bed) in order for the far end of the rest to be near the centre of the bowl.

The combined overhang of the rest & banjo causes him a LOT of chatter.

This could be fixed with a pole extension to the floor from the bottom of the tool-post, but if he's gonna do that he may as well have made a tripod instead in the first place! :doh:

I like the idea of a floor-mount at the headstock end, a la a Stubby bed, but I think that'd cause me grief when turning in spindle mode. :think:

rsser
6th June 2009, 05:33 PM
Frank, IIRC DJ uses and maybe made a free-standing tripod-base tool rest.

The VM outrigger costs in the order of $500; you could get the max extension figure by ringing or emailing them.

Manuka Jock
6th June 2009, 06:12 PM
Frank ,
remember this video clip with the |DVR and the big vase .
Check out how he has his banjo and a bed extension set up on a small moveable stand .
It may be the answer you are looking for .

DJ’s Timber
6th June 2009, 09:20 PM
What size is your Toolrest post?

I can loan you mine and if you find it suitable you can either buy that one or I'll make you a new one.

This thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=41391) shows one that I had, I've sold that one but still have another one here.

rsser
6th June 2009, 09:27 PM
Frank's will be 1"

efgee88
7th June 2009, 12:23 AM
Thanks Skew, I thought about the bed idea and realised that the toolpost would have to be very tall, and thus very solid. I'm putting this idea aside for the moment.

Thanks Ern, I thought the cost would be at the high end for something like the vicmarc tripod, but it looks good! I actually prefer the design of theVL175 outrigger for the same sort of price.

I followed the thread of DJ's.
Thanks DJ, but I've spent the entire day in the shed modifying a bit of a contraption that I welded up some years ago. It may just do the trick - or maybe not! I'll just have to try it out I suppose.

Thanks Manuka, I did see that before, but it is not my thing I'm afraid. It would just take too long to reassemble the lathe when I want to do something different. I really just want to swing the headstock around.

I'm going to finish my contraption tomorrow & I'll take some pictures if it works. I'm putting it on some pretty hefty castors, two that lock down, and it will be interesting to see if that is stable enough.

Yep Ern, I've got a 1"er - never thought I'd say that!

Cheers,

FrankG

rsser
7th June 2009, 08:01 AM
Yep Ern, I've got a 1"er - never thought I'd say that!

FrankG

I was leaving it to DJ to say how big his was :D

Ed Reiss
7th June 2009, 12:07 PM
the posts are going downhill rapidly:doh::o:D:D:D

texx
7th June 2009, 07:15 PM
what i did years ago when i first built my lathe and wanted to turn big on the out board.
my lathe was used under our highset house and in one spot there were 2 house stumps that were only about 4 foot apart so i clamped a piece of hardwood across from one stump to the next at the correct height and dragged the lathe over to the sumps ....well it worked ..

efgee88
7th June 2009, 11:22 PM
Ok, I have had to ditch the idea of lockable castors, after I bolted them to the stand and found there was way too much play in them. So I decided to just sit the stand on some blocks when in position. I remounted the original small swivel castors, as this thing is pretty heavy.
The cross bar (aka tool rest) can slide up and down the aluminium column which is filled with cement for stiffness. This aluminium column is attached top and bottom to some pretty hefty steel welded frame.
I have now started roughing the root ball, and the setup works a treat.
Below are some pictures of the beasty.

Cheers,
FrankG

rsser
7th June 2009, 11:29 PM
That's a big un Frank.

... nah, nice solution.

Paul39
12th June 2009, 05:32 AM
Very nice solution! And you have crazy money left over. (Crazy money is what is left after all the basic needs are covered, to spend in tool stores, book shops, saloons, etc.)

rsser
12th June 2009, 06:18 AM
Crazy money is like a health insurance rebate .... it comes well after the expenditure so feels like a windfall that can be spent; or yes, money saved by getting a bargain, a DIY substitute or the like.