PDA

View Full Version : Incra full fence-or not

Ron Booth
6th June 2009, 03:14 PM
I`m considering replacing my standard rip fence on Carbatec 10inch table saw with the full monty from Incra. Can anyone please lend me their experienced insights and do`s and don`ts . Ron B Hobart:)

damian
10th June 2009, 02:39 PM
Depends on what you want to do.

A TS system isn't cheap, about $1k. I've got the whole TS/LS system but because of the way I bought mine I've got a 25" positioner. The stuff is magic, incredibly high quality, instructions are clear and complete, if you do run into any problems incra back you right up.

I was cutting a sliding dovetail the other day. I cut the female part then simply snuck up on the male, the final cut was a 10 thou twist of the dial. All I have to do is note the number and I can go back to that exact fence position any time I want to.

Now having said all that IMO if your going to invest all that money you should consider leveraging it with a saw wing router table. You get the TS system and add a wonderfence any time your ready and you've got pretty much the whole shebang. I can't remember if the wonderfence comes with the 90 degree fixture. Anyway this system is compact for the smaller shed and is a really versatile workstation. Does joinery, routes profiles, saws obviously, all with maximum precision.

I regret not buying the longer rails, but because of cartage they add a lot to the price. Shipping from the us is prohibitive for the rails as they are too long for the post and couriers are very expensive. In aus your choices are pws (forum sponsor) or timbecon.

If you buy the wf later from the us make sure you get quotes on shipping as some vendors have cheap prices but gouge the shipping charge.

incrementaltools.com is the incra factory outlet (check the specials pages), and incra.com has some great video demos of the equipment.

Ron Booth
10th June 2009, 03:31 PM
Thanks Damian, I do have the router wing and Triton router installed.
Your other comments have helped. One more question. What can you comment on re the Metric conversion. Is it real metrication of the tool, an add-on that still relies on the Quaint, old-fashioned,Pommie/Yank, outdated system , or some combination of all the above??? RB

damian
10th June 2009, 04:55 PM
As far as I know there is no metric conversion for the LS system, which is what you'd be buying if you are fitting it to a tablesaw.

The problem is replacing the racks is easy, replacing the lead screw isn't and as far as I know incra don't make a metric lead screw.

Working in 32nds isn't my favourite method, and the sums get annoying sometimes, but I simply decided I'd live with it. Decimal inches would be nicer IMO, but you don't get that option either.

There are metric racks available for the origional jig and various other incra bits. Obviously changing scales is trivial but the whole point of incra is it snaps to a fixed increment via the rack and that is where it gets instant and nearly idiot proof accuracy.

Also you'll love the ts fence. So rigid you could just about hang your saw off it, never moves once locked down never lifts takes vertical featherboards with no movement etc. Perfectly flat square etc.

Gotta go...more answers tomorrow.

Waldo
10th June 2009, 05:02 PM
Not having used one on a t/saw, but having a LS Wonderfence on my router table it's the duck's guts (for reasons which Damian wrote about) and the comparison is equal, you'll love it and wonder why you never got one earlier. :2tsup:

Only thing is I wish it had a metric metal ruler instead of the imperial.

Big Shed
10th June 2009, 06:44 PM
Not having used one on a t/saw, but having a LS Wonderfence on my router table it's the duck's guts (for reasons which Damian wrote about) and the comparison is equal, you'll love it and wonder why you never got one earlier. :2tsup:

Only thing is I wish it had a metric metal ruler instead of the imperial.

Waldo, the rulers and the racks are available in metric. from Grahame, I have them on my LS.

Agree with Damian, metric lead screw would be beaut, second best would be metric inches, but knowing the Yanks twisted imperial minds I don't think that will ever happen!

As an aside, our seppo cousins were talking about "metric ozs", ie 30ml, on another forum. Man why wouldn't they just switch over to metric? They have metric yard ruler as well, ie a yard divided by 10:no:

If I could justify it, I would also love a TS system on the tablesaw. In the end I decided to go the Wixey digital fence, and must admit I think it overs more "bang for the buck" than the TS fence. It gives me metric, digital inches as well as fractional inch readouts. The settings are 100% repeatable and re-setting to zero away from the saw blade on some jobs is a real boon. I got mine as a package deal with the Wixey angle gauge, and also use that almost daily. More accurate than a square on the drill press table and the jointer, numerous other uses as well.

Waldo
10th June 2009, 08:07 PM
Waldo, the rulers and the racks are available in metric. from Grahame, I have them on my LS.

I had wondered about that, I checked the Incra website but couldn't find anything to verify that or not. It has been on my list of one of the things I need to ring Grahame about. :2tsup:

Ron Booth
11th June 2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks boys. All this is helpful. Will be away for6 weeks-checking out Japanese tools amongst other things. Will probably act on your recomendations when I get back.
RB

damian
12th June 2009, 11:04 AM
We used to use decimal inches before metric, as well as fractions, as the situation required. I'm not an evangelist for either system. Sure divisions in 10's is great for people who can't do fairly complex mental arithmetic, but metric thread forms for example are flawed and the whitworth/BSF system offered better engineering solutions. Other aspects of the imperial system worked well in the real world. The US doesn't embrace metric because they are the biggest economy in the world, have a strong domestic manufacturing sector and to put it bluntly don't need to. They could raise a finger to the rest of the planet and go isolationist if they wanted to.

Not that I'm defending them or their system, just making the point.

As I mentioned above the TS/LS system makes a lot of sense if your leveraging the expense with a combo table like mine. I am not sure I'd buy a TS just for a saw, and I wouldn't necessarily buy an LS just for a router table, I might go ultralite or something. But if you build it all on the same platform you save space, possibly money, and of course rationalise the fence purchase.