PDA

View Full Version : At it again!

TTIT
7th June 2009, 08:14 PM
Haven't shown anything for a while and thought about putting this in general woodwork but it's predominantly turning so here it goes! Our clubs challenge this year was making anything you like from 2 pieces of Spotted gum 50x150x600 - still greenish since I only felled them for the club this time last year.
Horrible stuff to work with and finish but I'm happy with the end result and so was the judge :1st: . $400 thank you VERY much!:2tsup:
Full WIP is on my website here (http://www.ttit.id.au/projects/double-lamp-clock/double-lamp-clock.htm)

Wodjareckin?

jackliveshere
7th June 2009, 08:35 PM
Looking good TTIT! Very well done and a deserving winner i'm sure :2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
7th June 2009, 08:39 PM
Luv it, well earned prize IMHO

jefferson
7th June 2009, 08:49 PM
TTit

Great work. Just don't come south of the borders unless you're giving lessons.

Jeff

TTIT
7th June 2009, 09:15 PM
TTit

Great work. Just don't come south of the borders unless you're giving lessons.

JeffI talk about wood a lot! Does that count as lessons? :shrug:

Sawdust Maker
7th June 2009, 09:20 PM
That's nice work and they only gave you $400 for it :(( :doh:
congrats

Big Shed
7th June 2009, 10:08 PM
Man talk about inventive!:2tsup:

Superb design, workmanship and execution.

Well worth a 1st prize!

jefferson
7th June 2009, 10:10 PM
I talk about wood a lot! Does that count as lessons? :shrug:

No, TTIT, that doesn't count as lessons.

Lessons (aside from the theoretical kind) are when you stand behind / next to a novice (like me) and just turn that chisel handle by a degree or two to get the cut just right.

So when are you coming south?

Jeff

orificiam
7th June 2009, 10:14 PM
Great work TTIT. it was worth the wait. welcome back
Cheers Tony.:2tsup::2tsup:

powderpost
7th June 2009, 10:21 PM
An exceptionally nice piece,very well done. Congratulations, well worth an award. And good to see you back.
Jim

dai sensei
7th June 2009, 10:30 PM
:iagree:

TTIT
7th June 2009, 10:34 PM
Thanks for all the comments guy's - much appreciated! Any critique???

..........So when are you coming south?

Jeffxmas - but it's a bit cold up in those mountains for this little tropical black duck!:; - mind you it's not much better in Calm's stompin' ground either but thats where I'll be :C

jefferson
7th June 2009, 10:43 PM
TTIT,

I'm trying to organise a little get-together up here in Kiewa (Albury-Wodonga way on the NSW-Vic border) between Xmas and New Year. You're more than welcome, so bring your wares and skills with you if you can make it.

PS. It gets cold here, not far from the snow, but Calm's POO in Ballarat is a cold hole.

Jeff

rsser
7th June 2009, 11:32 PM
Schmick work Vern.

Critique? My eye keeps travelling to the base and to the globes, the clock gets passed over. OK if you've got insomnia.

Christos
8th June 2009, 06:15 AM
Very nice.

RufflyRustic
8th June 2009, 09:57 AM
Hi TTIT

Overall - pretty mindblowing, but it just doesn't grab me:( I love the S base and the way the clock is held and displayed, but the circular light globes just don't do anything for me. I appreciate that they tie in with the circular clock. Well, I guess it's not one of my favourite pieces of your work. :shrug: For me, I would have liked to have seen a repeat of the S at the bottom and one of those malleable light strips in the S, but that would have defeated the purpose of the whole structure as a Light as well as forcing my taste and design into your style, which just doesn't go :rolleyes:

I can, however, completely appreciate the ideas, the effort, the design, the time, the care and attention to detail that you gave this piece. If I didn't know you are a Turner, I would be scratching my head as to how it was made.

As always, I'm wondering how on earth you come up with your ideas, they are simply amazing.:2tsup:

Cheers
Wendy

Fredo
8th June 2009, 10:01 AM
Very nice Vern.
Innovative and original as usual, worthy of first prize. The WIP deserves a prize also, shows just how much thought and effort has gone into this project.
Wotchagunna blow the prize money on?

Fred :U

Hardenfast
8th June 2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks for all the comments guy's - much appreciated! Any critique???

My only critique would be a lack of WIP of this project for we apprentices, Vern. Most original and unique! I'd like to see how you turned that base section - if indeed that's how it was shaped. Fascinating combination of shapes and profiles, and great finish on this difficult species.

Wayne

Edit: Woops! Missed the link to your website and the WIP, Vern. Critique withdrawn. :B

wheelinround
8th June 2009, 10:53 AM
Vern a real nice piece worth of more than $400 the wip is an excellent read

Mrs Woodpecker
8th June 2009, 11:00 AM
Congratulations Vern. A win well deserved. If ever we sell here, you will be most welcome in Gympie for a visit and a few lessons.
Cheers,
Shirley :2tsup::2tsup:

Ed Reiss
8th June 2009, 11:53 AM
TT...your design ideas and execution are way beyond the stuff I've ever done. Kudos, mate :2tsup::2tsup:

bellyup
8th June 2009, 11:55 AM
Fantastic work Vern. I always enjoy your creations.
Bruce.

new_guy90
8th June 2009, 01:01 PM
nothing less than a work of art from you TTIT :2tsup:

TTIT
8th June 2009, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone :2tsup:

..............Wotchagunna blow the prize money on?

Fred :UDave Drescher (SE Qld Woodworking supplies) had his mobile shop parked outside the showroom :B Most of it hardly got out the gate :U

Overall - pretty mindblowing, but it just doesn't grab me:( .................
For me, I would have liked to have seen a repeat of the S at the bottom and one of those malleable light strips in the S, .............................

As always, I'm wondering how on earth you come up with your ideas, they are simply amazing.:2tsup:
Appreciate your honesty Wendy - I guess you can't please everyone all the time eh :;.
So what are these malleable light strips like??? I just tried to Gooogle it and the second result was your thread - hows that???
I do have a process of sorts for coming up with designs but I doubt I could document it - they might institutionalize me :C

RETIRED
8th June 2009, 11:53 PM
I do have a process of sorts for coming up with designs but I doubt I could document it - they might institutionalize meA little insanity helps.

RufflyRustic
9th June 2009, 08:38 PM
Whew! :- Thanks TTIT!

I have no idea what it is called, or if there is such a thing, but surely there exists a strip of lights that can be curved into your so desired shape?:?

I reckon my process would get me institutionalised too :D

cheers
Wendy

joe greiner
9th June 2009, 11:15 PM
Beautiful as usual, Vern.:2tsup:

Strings of lights in flexible transparent tubing might be found at gardening & landscaping shops. I'm not sure how, or if, they can be shortened.

Cheers,
Joe