PDA

View Full Version : Stuck box

Tiger
9th June 2009, 11:08 AM
I made my lid a tad too tight and while that served me well for the jam fit it was impossible to get off afterwards. How does one remove the lid without breaking the box?

Another one of my boxes has a tight lid, is there anything that can be done to make the lid a little looser after the lid has been finished?

issatree
9th June 2009, 11:58 AM
Hi Tiger,
What timber are you using. I've seen them turn Rosewood & the lid stays stuck, almost impossible. Just a thought, could you use a bit of heat on the lid ??.

REGARDS,
ISSATREE.

Tiger
9th June 2009, 12:03 PM
Hi Issatree,

The timber is Camphor Laurel, I put a bit of paste wax on it but it hasn't helped much.

dai sensei
9th June 2009, 07:55 PM
Try heat first, then if it doesn't work, try the freezer.

If all esle fails drill a hole in the lid and use the hole to lever the lid off. Then make a finial with a base tennon to suit the hole.

RETIRED
9th June 2009, 08:47 PM
If you drill a hole use compressed air to "blow" it off.

thefixer
9th June 2009, 10:01 PM
If you put it in the oven the air inside will expand and blow the lid off. Maybe:D

Cheers
Shorty

graemet
9th June 2009, 10:42 PM
As my panel beating mate says: If all else fails - get a bigger hammer!

mick61
9th June 2009, 10:57 PM
G`day if you only turned the box recently put near a heat source and it might ease naturally. Otherwise get a small sharp skew chisel and slowly work around the join and it will come of it just depends on how much you damage it.The alternative would be try twisting this may burnish the join and ease the fit.
Goodluck Mick:D

tea lady
9th June 2009, 11:46 PM
If you drill a hole use compressed air to "blow" it off.

:think: Could try compressed air at the join. That's how we use to get pottery molds apart. A bit of heat (as in, from the oven, or in the warm lounge room even ) might work too, as you prolly warmed up the air when you sanded and finished it, but its was easier for it to get out than get in. :shrug:

ElizaLeahy
10th June 2009, 02:56 PM
I was given a set of russian dolls that fit inside each other (only they are cats!) Beautiful, and we took them apart and looked at them and put htem back together and havent' been able to take them apart since!

So I'll try the heat, and try the freezer, and let you know what happens!

Funny I didn't think to ask here - glad that you did Tiger!