PDA

View Full Version : Morse taper problem

thefixer
9th June 2009, 09:53 PM
G'day all

I thought would share this in case other MCxxxx owners are having the same problem. Mine cant possibly be the only one with this fault.

I had been having a problem with spindle turning on the MC1100. Whenever I finish a spindle using bevel edge rubbing with either a gouge or skew I was getting terrible vibration at the tailstock end. In the centre I can understand that, but why at the tailstock end? It was so bad I was getting a mild barley twist:(( I spent a lot of time a while ago fine tuning the alignment of head and tail so I knew that was not the problem. (See this thread http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=93750&highlight=tailstock) Tailstock was clamped down tightly and shaft was locked in position, so what could it be? I frustratingly asked myself. Maybe it's the live centre. So off to Carbatec and get a new heavy duty live centre. That didn't fix it either. Then I noticed that even when the live centre was driven firmly home into the morse taper I could move it up and down very very slightly. Close inspection of said live centre showed a pronounced contact point halfway down the taper.(See arrow A ) This means that the the two tapers were not a perfect fit and the live centre was vibrating at the business end. Thinking, thinking, thinking. Got it:D I asked the purchasing blokes at work if they could find a supplier where I could purchase a #2 morse reamer. Well, they went and purchased one through the company account:D Pic 1. It worked a treat. You can now see that contact is being made properly through the full length of the taper. (See arrow B ) I'll get this bloody lathe perfect if kills me:p. Anyway I threw a piece of 1inch square redgum between centres, turned it round and bevel edged the the final few cuts.Eureka !! Another engineering flaw fixed on the MC1100. I hope this long winded story is of some benefit to other MCxxxx users and there are a lot of us out there.

Cheers
Shorty

mkypenturner
9th June 2009, 09:59 PM
hi shorty can you tell us what the name of the supplier of the morse 2 reamers is please
troy

thefixer
9th June 2009, 10:06 PM
hi shorty can you tell us what the name of the supplier of the morse 2 reamers is please
troy

G'day Troy

I will find out tomorrow from the purchasing blokes at work and post the details then.

Cheers
Shorty

graemet
9th June 2009, 10:39 PM
You can get them from McJing in Yagoona - mail order (or personal visit, a bit hard from FNQ!) Good people to deal with. They come as a set, roughing and finishing, or if you only need to clean up an existing taper, the finishing one should be OK. I was having problems with my drill press chuck falling onto the workpiece, a few twists of the finishing reamer fixed the problem.
Cheers
Graeme

Ashore
9th June 2009, 11:09 PM
Try Blackwoods :2tsup:

Ozkaban
10th June 2009, 10:12 AM
Hi Shorty,

Thanks for that info. I found the McJing one here

(http://www.mcjing.com.au/categorybrowser.aspx?categoryid=38)Bottom of the page, part 1214-MT2, $38 plus shipping (or next week at the show in Syd :D).

Cheers,
Dave