PDA

View Full Version : Vic turners - salt and pepper grinders needed

jefferson
13th June 2009, 07:48 PM
A mate of mine, Indigo Valley and STILL YET TO POST wants some grinders turned. 3 or 4 sets and he's prepared to pay. He'll provide the timber - redgum floor joists that no doubt will be rock-hard and the mechanisms.

If anyone is interested, let me know. Preferably someone in Vic to keep the postage costs down.

I think he wants them tall, so you'd need to bore fairly deep. I haven't got that sort of gear.

Calm tells me that it takes half a dozen tries to get a matching pair.....

Jeff

DJ’s Timber
13th June 2009, 07:54 PM
Is your mate in a hurry for them Jeff?

We could turn them together when you come and stay here, think I've still got enough mechanisms to do 3 or 4 pairs.

jefferson
13th June 2009, 09:29 PM
A done deal DJ.

I'll be down (if it suits) not long after the Sharpening weekend, dogs and all. Just got to watch the pup, he's a little menace.

I'll have Indigo Valley supply the timber and you can charge him accordingly. He's on big $ and is prepared to pay.

I might even bring the little VL100 down, it's hardly been used. Best thing is that all your gear is compatible with mine.

And I'm looking forward to seeing how the grinders are made too! I've almost mastered one basic shape for honey dippers (but need to explore other designs). Another string to the bow.

Also, I've got $500 of redgum to pick up beforehand, so I might need to bring the trailer down. Or stack the back of the old Prado up to the hilt. Really looking forward to it.

Skew has got me worried though. I know he turns well and either he or I do it back-to-front. (Skew, if you're at 's next weekend, please give me a lesson.)

I still want to acquire two, ONLY TWO, more chisels - a true detail gouge and an Ellsworth but my "master" is berating me about it all. Good Lord, he's way worse than the good wife, who gladly lets me spend $ so long as I get out and use some of it.

You just can't help some blokes, particularly show-offs :B.... And I think all the little Grasshoppers out there know who I refer to. Watch it mate, we're coming to get you.

Seriously, you guys have been great and I do look forward to the next few weeks. I'm expecting Calm soon, Ern too because the snow season has arrived.

And hopefully a few of the Vic contingent can be here between Xmas and New Year. Open house, tents, dogs, eskies and sharp chisels most welcome. But can we build something for someone?

A table perhaps. I'll joint and glue the boards for the top, can turn the legs and whoever is here and gets the lucky number can take it home. Redgum of course, as that's mostly what I've got.

Jeff

DJ’s Timber
13th June 2009, 09:36 PM
Done deal :H

If I don't end up having enough mechanisms, we'll get Jim to send a few more :;

Check with your mate regarding the timber thickness, if they were joists at 2" thick ??? we may have to laminate to get them up to size.

jefferson
13th June 2009, 10:01 PM
DJ,

please forgive my ignorance, but how thick do we need? I've got a stack of 4 by 4 redgum but it seems a waste. If Indigo Valley has his heart set on those joists, I'll glue some up beforehand.

Jeff

DJ’s Timber
13th June 2009, 10:10 PM
65mm is the smallest I'd go with.

Don't use your 4 x 4's as it'll be a waste as you say.

You only need to joint one face and then glue together.

Otherwise we can turn some out of my Blackwood stock, dry and ready to go :2tsup:

dai sensei
13th June 2009, 11:30 PM
Take a 20mm slice off 2 sides of the 4x4, you end up with 75x75 perfect for grinders, and slices perfect for pen blanks :rolleyes:

Good luck with the grinders. You may want to search the forums etc for shapes your mate likes. I'd hate to see perfectly matched grinders of a shape he doesn't like :U

jefferson
14th June 2009, 12:10 AM
My good mate Indigo Valley (still yet to post if he's reading this) likes the rustic look. Nail holes etc not a problem. Same with saw marks.

But it sounds like I'll be digging into my 4 by 4 pile to get this right.....

OK, DJ lets try to make a profit (joke) from wood turning.

I'lll talk with Paul this week and sort it all out, including the mechanisms.

Jeff

tea lady
14th June 2009, 01:07 AM
How about a coffee table. We can get a darksider to make a draw for the remote to go in.:cool::D

jefferson
15th June 2009, 12:06 AM
How about a coffee table? Tea Lady, I have two redgum ones in bits out in the shed, waiting for some glue and then tops. I seem to have lost the inclination since you lot got me into turning.

Jeff

tea lady
15th June 2009, 01:03 AM
How about a coffee table? Tea Lady, I have two redgum ones in bits out in the shed, waiting for some glue and then tops. I seem to have lost the inclination since you lot got me into turning.

Jeff:p That's right blame us. :D (I meant a coffee table for the little group project over xmas new year. With turned legs and stuff. :cool: ) (May be you are like me and needee a challenge to get you going again. :shrug: Can't go back and do the same old thing ALL the time. :yawn: Got to keep something to strive for.:cool: )

jefferson
15th June 2009, 01:47 AM
Oops, Tea Lady, I mis-read your reply.

Yes, a redgum coffee table to the "lottery" winner seems appropriate. Short and long straws, but it has to be a joint effort. I don't mind sharing that small amount of wood for the company up here in return. It's a B & B between Xmas and New Year and I just hope some of my many forum friends can get here.

But will there be arguments about the finish? Oil or wipe-on poly?

And if I can talk and Julie into coming up again, I must insist that turns the legs. They talk world-wide about the "signature" gouge, but Ian sure has a signature with the vase. (There's a quite heated debate on the General Woodworking site that's very interesting about "master" craftsman. Check it out, it's interesting.)

Back turning today after a week long absence. Good company too, though my turning space is quite a mess. We had one piece fly off the chuck (not my doing) and great fun.

Great therapy. I wish you guys were here in the morning.

Jeff

tea lady
15th June 2009, 02:02 PM
So how far did you get it to fly? :cool:

Mornings up there must be a little on the crisp side. Here is bad enough.:cold: At least my hands are dry. With pottery you have to crack the ice off the water bucket. :C:D

jefferson
15th June 2009, 04:09 PM
Tea Lady,

the offending piece didn't travel far - it span hard into my bench and came to an abrupt halt.

And it was Calm that did it, not me. Hit a knot he reckoned. (I can say who now because David is home).

I might also add that Calm is coming close to on the aggressive cut / messy bugger meters. We should line the pair up for a turn-off so to speak.

Jeff

tea lady
15th June 2009, 11:44 PM
Tea Lady,

the offending piece didn't travel far - it span hard into my bench and came to an abrupt halt.

And it was Calm that did it, not me. Hit a knot he reckoned. (I can say who now because David is home).

I might also add that Calm is coming close to on the aggressive cut / messy bugger meters. We should line the pair up for a turn-off so to speak.

Jeff:rolleyes: Haven't you heard the curlies in the rafters of the huge warehouse story.. Calm's got NO HOPE! ........ a o! I think we have a challenge. :D

jefferson
15th June 2009, 11:59 PM
A challenge it is.

v. Calm next weekend. Someone bring a stop watch.

A 4 inch cube of something, spigot on one end for the shark jaws and away they go. Extra points scored for spreading shavings all over the place and not dislodging said piece from the chuck.

It's a hard one, but I'm going for on spray and Calm for time. Either way, one is going to catch.

Jeff

tea lady
16th June 2009, 12:23 AM
A challenge it is.

v. Calm next weekend. Someone bring a stop watch.

A 4 inch cube of something, spigot on one end for the shark jaws and away they go. Extra points scored for spreading shavings all over the place and not dislodging said piece from the chuck.

It's a hard one, but I'm going for on spray and Calm for time. Either way, one is going to catch.

JeffExtra points for launching the chisel too? :D