PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Vase

orificiam
13th June 2009, 08:22 PM
Hi Everyone haven't posted for a while so here we go,I picked up this wood from nature
strip on the way home. After asking the guys on the forum what wood is this we concluded "Speamint Gum"? anyway I've decided to do a hollow vase out of a small branch.The tools i used where a 16mm drill bit to drill a holle to get me going, I then
fallowed through with a 10mm bowl gauge and finished with a swan neck tool.
The walls where finished about 5mm thick. It was sealed with a coat of PVA then left to dry and wrapped in news paper to dry for a month.
This is my first hollow vase,and I must say I come very close to give up after a couple of dig Ins :((:((
Cheers Tony.:)

hughie
13th June 2009, 08:46 PM
Dig ins, oh well thats a part of life when you turn, we all get em from time to time, just dont always admit to it. :U

But a fine effort I Iike the shape. Spearmint gum, thought maybe juicy fruit. :U

Ad de Crom
13th June 2009, 09:17 PM
Hoi Tony, despite you got dig ins (always the risc by using a bowl gouge) this vase went out very well as I can see. Not a to thin wallthickness regarding you'll let it dry for a while? Or maybe the wood is dry enough, than the risc of warping is less.
Like it to see the end result. To avoid dig ins by hollowing larger depth, I use always my hollowing rig.
Cheers, Ad :2tsup:

orificiam
13th June 2009, 10:47 PM
Thanks Ad I was using the Swan Neck Tool when the dig ins happened.
The wood was very green so I'm hoping that it will difform a little bit to give it some
Caracter.
Cheers Tony.:)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th June 2009, 11:03 PM
Ah, yes. Swan neck tools take a bit of getting used to.

If you have the bent section of the tool sitting on the tool-rest then the tip isn't receiving adequate support, which causes dig-ins. Ideally, it's the straight section of shaft that should be sitting on the toolrest.

Of course, this means a lot of overhang beyond the rest, which is a different cause of dig-ins. :rolleyes:

Damned if you do, and damned if you don't. :doh:

Ed Reiss
14th June 2009, 11:48 AM
Persistence pays off Tony :2tsup: ...nice work for your first time for a hollow form !!

orificiam
14th June 2009, 06:01 PM
Thanks Guys I'll Keep trying I've got one more peace of the same Branch.
Next time I want to try a 3mm wall.

Yes Skew I know what you mean.I've found that keeping the tip of the tool leaning down helps a little.

Cheers Tony.