PDA

View Full Version : Wood handles - where to buy?

skygazer
13th June 2009, 10:14 PM
Hi,

I have just finished some beside tables on Tassie Oak and looking to buy some handles for the drawers. Any idea where I can buy some online?

thanks.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th June 2009, 10:21 PM
Any particular sort of handles?

Small turned knobs can be bought in Bunnies... although they're nothing special.

mick61
14th June 2009, 12:49 AM
G`day why don`t you turn your own or find someone close that can turn them for you how many do you need?
Mick:D

markharrison
14th June 2009, 12:55 AM
Funny, I've just been turning some for myself tonight. These are for my drawers that to go into my workbench. They are Shaker in style. Sorry no pics at present but can do on request.

skot
14th June 2009, 10:21 AM
markharrison,
Just for interest sake..did you turn them spindle (end grain) or cross grain. Was wondering which would be the easiest and neater to finish....I would guess cross grain

RETIRED
14th June 2009, 10:32 AM
Handles should be tuned in spindle mode (grain parallel to the bed). Cross grain has no strength.

tea lady
14th June 2009, 10:37 AM
How about posting a drawing of kinda what you want and the type of wood you would like. And offer a price. Maybe someone could do them for you. :cool:

skygazer
14th June 2009, 02:23 PM
ok. I don't have any turning equipment. So I welcome ANY suggestions for a set of handles for these drawers I just finished:

Had a look at bunnings but they were just awfull !

RETIRED
14th June 2009, 03:33 PM
Have a look at hafele and go into handles.

markharrison
14th June 2009, 09:39 PM
markharrison,
Just for interest sake..did you turn them spindle (end grain) or cross grain. Was wondering which would be the easiest and neater to finish....I would guess cross grain

Which ever way you do it, there will be end grain showing. I turned mine as spindles. However, I used a chuck so that I could sand the end grain properly on the lathe. Then I used BLO and EEE.

The biggest problem is turning them close enough in form. I'm a beginning turner.

The other problem is end grain tear out. I was thinking about trying to turn face grain inserts to glue into the top of the knob. Perhaps even using contrasting wood.

markharrison
14th June 2009, 09:58 PM
ok. I don't have any turning equipment. So I welcome ANY suggestions for a set of handles for these drawers I just finished:

Very nice job on the end tables. Most of the hardware available in this country is very average. And that is being extremely kind!

I suggest you consider buying what you want from the USA. Why go to this much trouble and save a few bucks on crap hardware that cheapens the whole effect? It's really not worth it.

I have bought from Whitechapel (http://www.whitechapel-ltd.com/)and Ball and Ball (http://www.ballandball-us.com/). You will not believe the difference in quality. I guarantee you will be happy with their products.

That all said, I think Shaker style knobs would be really nice on your pieces. Unfortunately all the commercial ones I've seen really suck. I'm making something like the third and fifth from the top on page 18 of "In the Shaker Style (http://books.google.com.au/books?id=cK3VzGMSE2EC&pg=PA18&lpg=PA18&dq=shaker+knobs&source=bl&ots=9iQtIHZPcK&sig=eNmyE3vA4L29mHvbrpyhkXMAdwQ&hl=en&ei=5NU0Sr6hDdaCkQXUysyTCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=14#PPA18,M1)". Mine don't have quite as much curve on the top though. If you get desperate, let me know but I know there are much more talented turners on this forum.

joe greiner
14th June 2009, 11:15 PM
Handles should be tuned in spindle mode (grain parallel to the bed). Cross grain has no strength.
I think this would apply to handles attached to the drawer face with two stanchions to provide hand space.

For knobs, cross grain might be better, because the attachment screws will have better purchase in the wood; also won't suffer end-grain tearout as much.

Cheers,
Joe

markharrison
15th June 2009, 12:30 AM
For knobs, cross grain might be better, because the attachment screws will have better purchase in the wood; also won't suffer end-grain tearout as much.

If you have a tenon on the knob (like Shaker style knobs) to glue in to the drawer/door face then no screws are needed. I'm going to use hide glue though in case of damage. Mine are going into a workbench cabinet though so the risk of damage is naturally higher.

skygazer
15th June 2009, 09:56 AM
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the US links they are definately more comprehensive then anything else I have seen.

I do like the shaker style knob form page 18.

So I think I will select somehting like the shakers at the bottom of this page:
http://www.whitechapel-ltd.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=wc&Category_Code=wknob&Offset=60&Previous_Stack[1]=40&Previous_Stack[2]=20&Previous_Stack[3]=&Previous_Stack_Depth=3
Can any one recommend a colour or size?

markharrison
16th June 2009, 11:17 PM
Probably Cherry would be the closest match. Alternatively you could get Maple ones and dye or stain them to match or go for a contrasting look. Another alternative is to get White Oak and fume them or ebonise them with a solution made from vinegar and steel wool.

I would buy a few extra if you are going to experiment.

skygazer
17th June 2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks Mark and to everyone else here who has offered me some good options.

Johncs
24th July 2009, 06:58 PM

Router in a table? Make a curves profile on a nice piece of wood, then rip it off, cut to length and sand til done.

Google and/or youtube should have some ideas.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th July 2009, 07:00 PM

:U I did say they were nothing special.

I do like the shaker style knob form page 18.

Can any one recommend a colour or size?

Good choice! For size, I'd probably go for something about 1/2 - 2/3 the visble width of the legs.

Because they'll be obvious in all the lovely figured wood, I'd try to match their colour as closely as possible to match the legs.

How're you at tinting stains?