PDA

View Full Version : Salt Shaker Bums..(Bottoms..Plugs..))

stevew
14th June 2009, 08:29 PM
Have been making some salt and pepper sets. It is easy to get the the top part that shakes the salt out.
The part that has me stumped is ,I need some type of plastic plug for the bottom to make refills easy.Push in or threaded...???
Looking forward to your early replies.
steve

bsrlee
14th June 2009, 09:17 PM
Corks. Really. You can buy small corks in some hardware stores that would fit 1/4 (6m) to 1/2" (12 mm) or there about. If none of your local hardware stores or craft suppliers have them then you may have to do a phone book (or google etc) search for laboratory equipment suppliers.

I have seen quite a few hand made salt & pepper shakers over the years with plain old corks in the bottom - likely make before flexible plastic became common.

Rubber bungs/corks are not suitable as the rubber will perish and weld itself to the shaker body.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th June 2009, 04:48 PM
I'd prefer cork myself, but it's becoming harder to source.

If you're only after one or two to finish a set, another possibility is your local Op-Shops... they usually have the small ceramic knick-knacks (with bungs) for ridiculously low prices.

old pete
15th June 2009, 07:15 PM
Hi Stevew,

Try Peter Vince in Hobart on 03 6244 6132. He had a plastic push in version. Minimum single order id $50.... Cheers OldPete

texx
15th June 2009, 09:24 PM
just a thought , places that do fuel injector pumps carry a wide range of plastic bungs that they use to plug every thing with when they send them out reconditioned

rodent
1st July 2009, 11:14 PM
Have been making some salt and pepper sets. It is easy to get the the top part that shakes the salt out.
The part that has me stumped is ,I need some type of plastic plug for the bottom to make refills easy.Push in or threaded...???
Looking forward to your early replies.
steve
Len at the woodsmith down here stocks them and ask jim caroll

thostorey
2nd July 2009, 06:01 PM
If you're stuck, you can also get them from Craft Supplies USA catalogue # 123-0148 $.99 ea.

pugwash
2nd July 2009, 07:21 PM
Clarke Rubber.