PDA

View Full Version : What finish ?????

bowl-basher
15th June 2009, 07:24 PM
:? Have finished this Red Burl platter/ shallow bowl on saturday and have so far put on 4 coats of Cabbots Danish oil each coat rubbed in with 1200 wet & dry then wiped with a clean cotton cloth the oil is drying in to the timber leaving a nice silky feel but little to no sheen I want to keep the natural oiled finish but would like to have a little more shine.. I have thought of giving it a couple of coats of BLO or even pure Parrafin oil
any advise would be most welcome:U:U
The photos were taken just 30 mins after the last coat of Danish so still apears to shine in some spots especialy om the gum inclusions

artme
15th June 2009, 08:14 PM
Firstly that is some piece of burl! A great job to turn so effectively.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Have a look at the instructions for Wattyl Danish Oil finish. I think you may be able to do the same with the Rustins, provided the "lacquer" will ahere to what you have already applied.

orificiam
15th June 2009, 10:06 PM
Nice Work there B/B :2tsup::2tsup:
Cheers Tony--:)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th June 2009, 12:22 AM
Yeah, that's a nice bit of work on the burl there... all your fingers are still attached? :D

Anyways, a true DO will come up to a high gloss. Eventually.

It takes a lot of coats, though... and each coat will "matte off" over time. Each coat will also take longer and longer to matte off, until it starts to retain the gloss permanently. You may've heard the old saying "once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for..."? That's DO for ya.

Really, it's not an instant finish even though nowadays many people are using it as one.

Ed Reiss
16th June 2009, 12:25 PM
Same thing with Waterlox (tung)...it takes multi coats to get the right luster, usually 6 to 15 coats depending on the species. I add an extra step after the TO dries. Put a coat of Bri-wax on then buff off...then the piece really sings!!!

Ad de Crom
16th June 2009, 06:47 PM
Graham, that red burl looks pretty hard to me, I love the color of that burl.
I wonder if it is a piece of a root ball. Can't give you an advice about the finish, as I'm using only blanc transparent lacquer on waterbase, called Glitsa.
I always put on three layers of this stuff on my turnings, with a slight sanding between every layer. If I would I could bring it up to high gloss, by sanding it with 1000 grid sanding paper, and polishing it with polishing pasta.
Have fun, Ad :2tsup:

bowl-basher
16th June 2009, 08:45 PM
Hi Ad
No it was a true burl cut from the trunk of the tree I got 2 of them from the same supplier and as he is 400 k away from me I got my sister to pick them up on one of her trips to sydney I told her roughly the size and shape that I wanted and asked her to make sure that they were Red Mallee I think she paid more attention to the size and shape than the look of them as soon as I saw them I knew they were not from the same type of tree So 1 was red mallee and this one is I think red gum I will get the supplier to tell me when I show him the finished platter I hope to show you the Mallee in a few days
regards
Graham

Ad de Crom
17th June 2009, 02:11 AM
Hi Ad
No it was a true burl cut from the trunk of the tree I got 2 of them from the same supplier and as he is 400 k away from me I got my sister to pick them up on one of her trips to sydney I told her roughly the size and shape that I wanted and asked her to make sure that they were Red Mallee I think she paid more attention to the size and shape than the look of them as soon as I saw them I knew they were not from the same type of tree So 1 was red mallee and this one is I think red gum I will get the supplier to tell me when I show him the finished platter I hope to show you the Mallee in a few days
regards
Graham
Gosh Graham, you have really a very nice sister doing all this for you, nonetheless the wood is gorgeous, isn't it. I'm really looking forward to see the complete finished platter.
Happy turning.
Ad