PDA

View Full Version : Cranky grain and the skew chisel

Tiger
17th June 2009, 06:15 PM
When spindle turning, I use the skew chisel as much as possible. This results in a nice, clean cut requiring little sanding however on timber such as blackwood and others especially with twisted grain, I sometines get tearout and I'll use a gouge or a scraper. Is there a technique that can be used with the skew that will allow you to work with grain that is not straight?

RETIRED
17th June 2009, 06:25 PM
When spindle turning, I use the skew chisel as much as possible. This results in a nice, clean cut requiring little sanding however on timber such as blackwood and others especially with twisted grain, I sometines get tearout and I'll use a gouge or a scraper. Is there a technique that can be used with the skew that will allow you to work with grain that is not straight?You should come down this weekend to this http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=96938 A lot of your questions would be answered and you might even get some tuition.

Calm
17th June 2009, 06:35 PM
.................... Is there a technique that can be used with the skew that will allow you to work with grain that is not straight?

Yep with Blackwood leave it in the rack and use a gouge - for some reason a skew just seems to tear out on Blackwood whereas a gouge will cut - sometimes a scraper tears out as well sometimes not.

This applies to bowls as well as spindle work (including pens:p)

Cheers

Grumpy John
17th June 2009, 06:41 PM
When spindle turning, I use the skew chisel as much as possible. This results in a nice, clean cut requiring little sanding however on timber such as blackwood and others especially with twisted grain, I sometines get tearout and I'll use a gouge or a scraper. Is there a technique that can be used with the skew that will allow you to work with grain that is not straight?

Plenty of info here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=85046) Tiger. And yeah, c'mon down to 's you'll meet a great bunch of people and learn a hell of a lot as well :2tsup:.

rsser
18th June 2009, 09:40 PM
You can try a fine peeling cut but your skew will need to be verrrry sharp. Burr honed off.

China
18th June 2009, 10:04 PM
As said above your skew needs to be very sharp

Tiger
19th June 2009, 05:30 PM
Thanks, Grumpy, good info in that thread.

Thanks to others as well, will try and get down to Tooradin on one of the afternoons once I move a few things around. What is the exact address?

Grumpy John
19th June 2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks, Grumpy, good info in that thread.

Thanks to others as well, will try and get down to Tooradin on one of the afternoons once I move a few things around. What is the exact address?

A PM to will set you straight. :D