PDA

View Full Version : Polly U Glue

ozwinner
5th July 2004, 06:09 PM
Hi all
Has anyone used PolyU glue, if so did you have any success?
I tryed it butt jointed, M&T, and it failed real bad on both.
I bought it a couple of weeks ago from Carbatec, it was still sealed so I dont think it had gone off.
The only bond between the two bits of wood was bubbles, I couldnt see bubbles holding much.
If I did the same joints with PVA, I would have broken the timber before the glue line gived out. :(

Not happy Jan, I wont be rushing out to buy more thats for sure.
It was 3 times the price of PVA, BTW.

Al :(

bitingmidge
5th July 2004, 07:08 PM
If you're in for a bit of reading try WoodenBoats Australia (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WoodenBoatsAustralia/messages/862) Messages through about 862-891.

All the messages headed "Fluffy Bruce Glue", Bote-Cote Products and Purbond are discussing correct use/failure rate of polyurethene glue (in this case a good product called Purbond which had received a bagging because of incorrect use).

From memory the glue needs moisture and a good fit to work?

Assuming you have used a similar product of course! Did you dampen the mating surfaces first?

Cheers,

P

ozwinner
5th July 2004, 07:45 PM
Hi Midge

It didnt say to dampen firkst, but the timber has between 12-10% moisture content.
The foam did go all, well foamy.
The stuff I used was Titebond fluffy glue. :p

Al

ClintO
5th July 2004, 08:03 PM
I was confused on this point also. whenever Norm uses PolyU glue he wets one side and clamps firmly, later scraping off the foam that escapes the join.
I looked at the Polyu glue inCarbatec and there is no mention of adding moisture

Suresh
6th July 2004, 03:27 PM
I tried a variety of glues, including the Titebond Poly, and settled on the AV Syntec 515 polyurethane glue for joints that need to be waterproof. The titebond poly was far weaker than either Titebond 2 or the AV Syntec glue. I won't be using it again.
Suresh

Sprog
7th July 2004, 02:19 PM
Titebond.com (http://www.titebond.com/)
Titebond Product Guide (http://www.titebond.com/download/pdf/ww/GlueGuideTB.pdf)

Edited Extract from Titebond Product guide

Wood Surface Preparation

For best results, we recommend the moisture content of the wood be between 6-8% and the relative humidity between 40-50%. Because Titebond Polyurethane Glue needs moisture to cure, lightly dampen the joint with water before gluing.

Care should be taken to ensure a tight fit between wood pieces with no saw marks and no burnishing of the surfaces to be glued.

RETIRED
7th July 2004, 07:12 PM
It also has a shelf life. Pays to check.

ozwinner
7th July 2004, 07:24 PM
Ive read the pack, dosent say about shelf life?

I think Ill stick ( hahaha :D ) to PVA.

Al

Dewy
7th July 2004, 08:56 PM
Because PU glue foams up when cured, it fills gaps in loose joints. It holds outdoors where normal PVA wont but because the 1st PU glue was called Gorilla Glue people expect it to be strong.
Strong it aint.
The shelf life is very limited. Once opened the moisture in the atmosphere will cure the glue in the tub.
I paid £7.50 for a 500ml bottle & only managed to use it 3 times before I had to throw the almost full tub away as it had set.