PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening jigs update

badgaz
21st June 2009, 10:15 PM
Hi folks

A couple of weekends worth of work and a few off-cuts and I have the beginnings of a sharpening station. I haven't put the system through it's paces properly, but it all seems pretty solid. I've used a combination of self made cam locks, bolts, screws and an unusual sliding lock on the removable skew rest (the design came to me in a moment of desperation/inspiration:;).
All that's left to do is a jig for fingernail grinds and to finally replace the grey wheel with the white Alox which has been quietly waiting in the wings for these grinding jigs.
I've included a couple of pics of the MC900 which just recently replaced the old Ryobi lathe (the MC900 is a vast improvement on the Ryobi and is in great condition for a 2nd hand unit, it even fits the stand I built:2tsup:), with my current (but modest) tool holding rack and a pic of the newly handled Ezicut Junior and Senior hollowers (thanks hughie!). Dark handle is walnut and light handle is leatherwood.

All the best

Gazza

rsser
22nd June 2009, 09:47 AM
Impressive work Gazza.

Bob38S
22nd June 2009, 02:58 PM
Looking really good - I'll be interested in hearing your comment when it has been used "in anger".

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Regards,
Bob

hughie
22nd June 2009, 03:01 PM
Well done Gazza. :2tsup:

artme
22nd June 2009, 03:52 PM
When you make something like a jig ou may as well make it versatile and bullet proof! Good one Gazza.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I would have thought anangle slide on the table would be simpler for the skew.

munruben
22nd June 2009, 08:24 PM
Good work Gazza, I have a similar arrangement on my grinder as shown in your pictures 3 and 4 and it works fine for me. :2tsup:

badgaz
22nd June 2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the replies guys:D

They shouldn't fall apart after the first few grinds, but in this cold weather the jigs could shatter from being snap frozen in the coldest shed on earth:(

I would have thought anangle slide on the table would be simpler for the skew.

I have made a channel on the grinding platform for an angle slide. But given my skew has a long, heavy jarrah handle, I needed a little extra support to hold it up when setting the bevel. On the lathe with the skew, I have the benefit of a tool rest and a balanced stance to take some of the load. Same can be said for the hollowers ... these are weighty buggers so I have to decide the best option for sharpening them, either a heavy duty vari-grind style jig (home-made of course) or simply remove the HSS tips and sharpen them in a holder of some sort (I'd prefer to leave the tips in the tool over taking them out, sharpening, and putting them back in)

Time away from the lathe and the mother of invention will tell.:;

I'll be interested in hearing your comment when it has been used "in anger".

Anger management treatment begins on the weekend when I can allow a brief glimpse of sunlight to permeate the shed.:U

Bowl gouge jig to follow soon.

Cheers guys

Gazza

Dodgyboy
22nd June 2009, 11:36 PM
great lathe I have the same one in a Hafco