http://www.woodturnerruss.com/UniversalTruths.html

powderpost
22nd June 2009, 11:20 PM
A lot of truth in those statements.
Jim

jefferson
23rd June 2009, 12:34 AM
I really like number 39.

I've met a lot of "different" people on the woodturning side of the board, but not one that I dislike. A few foibles there (we all have them), but all decent folk. It must be something about woodturners.....

I'd also like to add one more rule:

"Those with office hands (and the right aspiration) should take no offence at the description. They should understand that it will take longer to learn the craft - three lessons or more to learn one one cut while others more adept may only need one. And they should be appreciative of those wiser heads (and hands) that spare the time to impart their knowledge".

My thanks to all.

Jeff (AKA Little Grasshopper)

Ozkaban
23rd June 2009, 11:50 AM
That's pretty good.

I think there is probably a lot of truth in the sharpening ones. Especially about consistency.

Oh, and the fact that most experts have a lot of grey hair. Pity that getting the grey hair doesn't make you one though!!!

cheers,
Dave

orraloon
23rd June 2009, 12:28 PM
All too true. The first one with mention of Keith Rowley's book especially. You have to get off to a good start. I have not quite mastered the skew yet but it is something I will have to get to grips with one day. I have found all sorts of ways around this but know I am only putting things off. I should also ditch the 2 file scrapers but they just cut so good.
Regards
John

rsser
23rd June 2009, 01:06 PM
Nice one .

An old copy of Nish's Creative Woodturning shows a scraper being used for bowl turning as Russ also points out.

I also find most motorbike riders to be friendly uncomplicated guys. But not the ones with the sleeves torn from their denim jackets.

artme
23rd June 2009, 03:29 PM
Wonderful site !! Thanks for posting it.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

dai sensei
23rd June 2009, 06:31 PM
:whs:

rsser
26th June 2009, 07:11 PM
That's pretty good.

... and the fact that most experts have a lot of grey hair. Dave

It's a worry to turn up to shed meets and clubs to see how few young folk seem to be involved at that level. Almost everyone has one or more of glasses/grey hair/no hair.

Is turning just something that folk start when they're middle aged or older or is the land full of younger folk quietly turning in their shed on their lonesomes?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th June 2009, 07:22 PM
Is turning just something that folk start when they're middle aged or older or is the land full of younger folk quietly turning in their shed on their lonesomes?

Perhaps the younger ones think "I cop enough flak on the forum... who wants to meet these grumpy ol' farts face to face?" :U

Grumpy John
26th June 2009, 07:56 PM
Perhaps the younger ones think "I cop enough flak on the forum... who wants to meet these grumpy ol' farts face to face?" :U

Who are you calling grumpy :rolleyes:

rsser
26th June 2009, 08:56 PM
Hmm, looking at the last 3 avatars ... one face frowning from the middle of a toilet bowl, another looking like he's been offered a GMC lathe, and I'll leave you guys to repay the compliments with regard to mine.

jefferson
26th June 2009, 09:35 PM
Ern, first smile for a day or so. Keep it coming please.

And yes, I think our pursuit is not well respected / appreciated by the younger ones.

My son had a very hard time turning some coffee table legs some years back while at school. A bad lathe, poor instruction and blunt chisels - and it "turned" him off, probably forever.

It should be mandatory for ALL schools to have someone competent visit, especially at the start. We have plenty of good educators on the board.....

Jeff

arose62
26th June 2009, 11:20 PM
It's a worry to turn up to shed meets and clubs to see how few young folk seem to be involved at that level. Almost everyone has one or more of glasses/grey hair/no hair.

Well, where I am, the woodturning club was pretty blatantly ageist. I was in my 40's when I tried to join, and was repeatedly snobbed. I wrote to the board of my experiences and disappointment, and they wrote back to ask me to attend a special meeting, which they had scheduled - in the middle of work hours!

So for me it was back to the shed on my lonesome!

Cheers,
Andrew

ficfac
27th June 2009, 04:12 AM
Hey all,

I'm 28. Youngish.

I love turning, but for some reason I feel like I wouldn't be welcome at a mens shed because I'm too young!

Funny that.

Ed Reiss
27th June 2009, 12:16 PM
Hey all,

I'm 28. Youngish.

I love turning, but for some reason I feel like I wouldn't be welcome at a mens shed because I'm too young!

Funny that.

...not with that mug your using as a avatar:o:D:D:D

tea lady
27th June 2009, 12:33 PM

You have to start when you have NO grey hair for the grey hair to mean you know stuff.:rolleyes:

As for Old "person's":p persute, I think most creative persutes are a mature person's domain. (I'd call mid twenties mature is this context. Just about when you slow down enough to actually spend any extended time doing one thing.:rolleyes: ) As for community sheds, maybe its just me, but I haven't found any problems being at mine. Not that I'm that young.:C But I'm not exactly retirement age. :U Maybe women are cut a bit more slack? :shrug:

Gil Jones
27th June 2009, 12:58 PM
Hey Ficfac,
You may be "youngish" at 28 compared to my slightly "oldish" at 65, but you would be welcome in my turning shop any time you venture up to this part of the world.
Cheers,

ficfac
27th June 2009, 02:08 PM
Thanks all!

I'm not quite as muggish as the blond Mr T. :D

Maybe I should venture out there a bit...

tea lady
27th June 2009, 08:00 PM
Thanks all!

I'm not quite as muggish as the blond Mr T. :D

Maybe I should venture out there a bit...Those old blokes aren't that scary, and I can usually outrun them.:rolleyes:
:D

rodent
2nd July 2009, 12:07 AM
Don't say that to Jess she has been turning in my shed since she was 14 she will be 19 in late November and she has no trouble taking over my shed .I have her exactly where she want's me .Oh and Ern no more Gmc puns please , there's enough gastro going on around the world with out any body elses help isn't there .