PDA

View Full Version : Yikes! Weird vessel off the lathe

efgee88
24th June 2009, 12:19 AM
Been trying out my new (old) DAHT on this cypress pine root base.

Unbeknowns to me when I started, the darn bit of wood was partly rotted inside so I was restricted to a certain shape (I couldn't reduce the waist any further or I would have lost some of the side of the vessel. The tear-out on partly rotted timber is horrible and therefore so is the finish on the inside! Anyone got any solutions to this? - Firewood?

Also used the outboard freestanding tool rest (as mentioned on another thread) on this beastie.

The result is rather odd - what do you reckon?
Size is 29cm diam x 28cm tall.

Cheers,

FrankG

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th June 2009, 12:24 AM
Good job getting it to where it is without it self-destructing. :2tsup:

To sand that, I'd be hand-sanding with a backer all the way... but it depends on what you plan to do with it.

I reckon that with that shape & size it'd be ideal as a potted plant holder, with a bit of greenery overhanging the sides. For that sort of thing, who cares what the insides are like? :D

Ed Reiss
24th June 2009, 12:27 AM
...well, since you asked, not the greatest shape in the world, but it would work well as a King's crown for a large size chess piece :2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
24th June 2009, 10:02 AM
Personally I love it. It looks DANGEROUS!

tea lady
24th June 2009, 10:21 AM
Well, Its big!:D

rsser
24th June 2009, 11:09 AM
Well done Frank.

As for the inside, with a bit of care you can power sand with the work stopped using a 3" pad.

Skew's right; planter was my first thought.

Ozkaban
24th June 2009, 11:18 AM
I like the look of that - like flames coming up from the base. It would be an awesome waste paper basket :D

Cheers,
Dave

Paul39
24th June 2009, 11:37 AM
Nice piece. I think a planter holder is what it is.

To harden rotten places:

Sand a little, soak with sanding sealer, let completely dry, sand a little, soak with sanding sealer, let completely dry, etc., etc.,

With my rotten, spalted, buggy bowl, I sanded and put on tung oil, over and over. The rotten soft part eventually got hard.

I used sanding sealer on other things later, and it works faster. I let it dry overnight between treatments.

You can also use CA glue, clear epoxy, polyester resin, yellow wood glue. I don't use $200 bowl blanks, so I will try almost anything.

I have a weakness for stumps and roots, multi-branched trunks, crotches, and any kind of twisted wood.

rotten_66
24th June 2009, 12:00 PM
...well, since you asked, not the greatest shape in the world, but it would work well as a King's crown for a large size chess piece :2tsup:

Exactly what I thought when I saw the pictures.

jackliveshere
24th June 2009, 12:19 PM
I like it :2tsup:

Manuka Jock
24th June 2009, 01:29 PM
Looks good mate :2tsup:
Get it as best as you can without killing yourself or the vase , and leave it at that .
After all we are primarily woodturners , not wood 'finishers'

efgee88
24th June 2009, 05:40 PM
Thanks for your comments, everyone.

I also thought either a planter or waste paper basket would be the go. Bearing in mind the (unsatisfactory) finish inside the vessel, I will settle on the planter. I will drill a largish hole through the base and seal the timber as best I can. Then it will be ready to receive a pot plant. I also think skew is right about a hanging plant, and I'll probably leave it outside!

Cheers,

FrankG

artme
24th June 2009, 08:17 PM
Strangely interesting piece. Well done to get it that fer.

Because I'm me I would copletely seal with a quailty marine grade finish and plant Bromeliads in it

Sawdust Maker
24th June 2009, 11:24 PM
My first thought was that it looked a bit like Matt Giteau's kicking tee - but is prabably a little too big :2tsup:

dr4g0nfly
27th June 2009, 09:15 AM
I think it looks great and stand on it's own merit. Not easy to turn, not over-finished but something that shows a degree of skill in it's execution.
Love it the way it is.

rodent
2nd July 2009, 12:28 AM
NOPE it,s pine right , perfect for the scroll ( toilet roll ) bowl .Why most of the people in this hose don't even know how to put the roll in the basic ( i mean basic ) holder . So it's in plane view in a styish receptical ( bowl ) in a convinient place . Nuff said .

Texian
2nd July 2009, 04:26 AM
Frank,
I like it too! Interesting and artistic use of what was available from that piece of wood.

mickelmaster
2nd July 2009, 07:15 AM
If you dont want it ill have it :rolleyes: