PDA

View Full Version : Dovetailing panels

Normanj
24th June 2009, 08:18 PM
I have a Gifkins Dovetail Jig and plan to make an occasional table by jointing boards to make three panels to be joined with dovetails to create an inverted U shape (there is a stretcher for rigidity and other details, but this is the essential part). The jointed boards will form panels too large to fit the Gifkins jig directly, and for these situations the instructions suggest dovetailing the boards first and then jointing the boards to form panels (I'll be using biscuit joints).

Has anyone any experience of doing this and are there any tips for ensuring the dovetailed boards will join accurately ? A related question is whether its best to glue up the individual U pieces before jointing them or try and glue everything up together. I can see that jointing the U pieces may be tricky, but so too will trying to simultaneously glue 4 sets of dovetails and three panels at the same time, especially when the stretcher will be dovetailed to the two uprights also.

The alternative I have thought about is to make the panels first and then route the dovetails in two stages. I can see that I would need some other jig to ensure the two sets of tails and pins aligned simultaneously but haven't figured out how this might be done. Presumably the instructions recommend the first way for a reason.

Tex B
24th June 2009, 11:04 PM
Interesting issue, Norman. Thinking about my own tools and experience, would suggest gluing up the dovetails first - so you'll have 2 U shaped pieces. Then you should be able to glue into one piece with a few clamps, or maybe a lot of clamps.

If you glue the panels first, I would think you run the risk of getting a tail/pin out of alignment. With gluing the dovetails first, if there are gaps in the panel joints you should be able to fix them by some hand planing or a jointer - an easier fix than moving a pin.

Look forward to pics of the finished work.

Tex

Normanj
26th June 2009, 10:24 PM
Tex,

Thanks for the suggestions. You make a valid point about gluing up the dovetails first. I possibly could do both halves at the same time an clamp them together or align them some other way so that the subseuent jointing is straightforward. On reflection, as you suggest, it would be easier to resolve mis-alignment in the panels than individual dovetails and pins.