PDA

View Full Version : Lidded Box no 5

jefferson
27th June 2009, 05:44 PM
Ken W. gave me photocopies of a couple of boxes (from Turned Boxes, 50 designs, Chris Stott).

I tried one this arfternoon, loosely base on the China Hat box. I say loosing because after a few catches, I had to change a few things!

I also remembered what Ken W. told me about using hot melt glue (I was in information overload by that stage) and came up with this system, using some waste Murray Pine held in the chuck:

After I brought the tail stock up and let the centre find it's own way in, turned to round, I noticed a gap between my little pieces of pine and redgum:

[ATTACH]109169

So I splashed some more hot melt around and started turning. Everything held OK, some I am starting to gain some faith in using the holt melt - sure saves wood!

I didn't bother sanding overmuch - I really do need some smaller chisels (on the way) for this find of work.

The piece is 45mm wide, 55mm tall. The camera ran out of batteries, otherwise I'd have shown a shot of the inside. Too thick, but I could barely get the Ci0 in there and that's all I have at the moment.

So, Skew, I'm on track for one box a week. I better turn a couple more tomorrow just to stay in front. I reckon by year's end I should be turning out something OK.

Jeff

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th June 2009, 06:37 PM
So, Skew, I'm on track for one box a week. I better turn a couple more tomorrow just to stay in front. I reckon by year's end I should be turning out something OK.

And just after I'd done my finger-warming exercises in anticipation of administering some chastisement... :D

I've no idea what shape you were emulating, but that one came out nicely. It's what I'd call a "perky" pot. :)

Ad de Crom
27th June 2009, 06:55 PM
Jeff, doesn't matter what kind of pot, super job on this one. For sure you're on the right track.
Ad :2tsup:

RETIRED
27th June 2009, 07:09 PM
Jeff. Be careful using Murray Pine. Some pieces are very oily and glue doesn't stick to it well.

Nice shape.

jefferson
27th June 2009, 07:27 PM
Thanks guys for the feedback. I'll try to do better tomorrow with another lump of something.

And , I'll use ordinary pine next time - thanks for the warning.

Also, I'll get the 2x magnification out tomorrow so I can actually see what I'm doing on those difficult "beginner" cuts.

Say for the top of my little box - I think I need to put the chisel flute at 90 degrees on rest, bevel in the direction I want to go, then push until I gain bevel contact. Is that right? You guys make it look so easy.

I think I'll stick with the redgum at the moment. Harder to cut for sure, but I don't want to waste some of my better stuff. Plenty of redgum here.....

Jeff

orificiam
27th June 2009, 07:46 PM
Nice one Jeff. Be careful or you could get addicted to boxes.
Cheers Tony.:2tsup::2tsup:

tea lady
27th June 2009, 08:32 PM
And just after I'd done my finger-warming exercises in anticipation of administering some chastisement... :D

Chastisement needs a cold finger., but obviously unnecessary this month.:cool:

That's really great Jeff.:2tsup: Very pleasing little shape.

jefferson
27th June 2009, 10:09 PM
Nice one Jeff. Be careful or you could get addicted to boxes.
Cheers Tony.:2tsup::2tsup:

I thought I already responded to this one - must have not put the reply in.

Tony, it's too late now, I am already addicted to boxes. For me, smaller seems better. And challenging enough too. Functional items - at least for the first 200 or so.

I've promised one a week, so I'm on target. If I do another one or two tomorrow, I'll be in front.

Just waiting for my mini-chisels to arrive, so the fine work and hollowing is a little easier. Waiting for the design books too, so I can copy the experts. That said, I must learn how to use the calipers and follow directions.....

One of the many problems with redgum (aside from movement) is the gum veins. You get down to near perfect and you hit it.... And then go smaller and smaller.

Jeff

artme
27th June 2009, 10:34 PM
Nice shape and a good job all round, Jeff.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ed Reiss
28th June 2009, 12:38 PM
vuuuuuuurrrrrrrryyyyyyyy nice Jeff :2tsup:

Paul39
28th June 2009, 01:34 PM
Wonderful shape. Nice.

KenW
28th June 2009, 02:43 PM
Jeff, kitchen quality control said your box looks fine. If you don't tell people that you are working to a drawing, nobody will know what shape you had in mind.
Good advice from , regarding oily wood.

The scrap wood that you are hot melting to needs to be shorter, keep your work as close as safe to the chuck jaws. This will reduce vibration when you are hollowing end grain.

As for making the cut, you are correct, bevel rubbing and pointing in the direction you want to cut. Also roll gouge so that you can just see inside of bottom flute. You still have to cut with the grain. This only works on the outside of the box, inside the box is end grain and has different rules.

One box a week is putting yourself under preasure, good luck.

jefferson
28th June 2009, 07:05 PM
Jeff, kitchen quality control said your box looks fine. If you don't tell people that you are working to a drawing, nobody will know what shape you had in mind.
Good advice from , regarding oily wood.

The scrap wood that you are hot melting to needs to be shorter, keep your work as close as safe to the chuck jaws. This will reduce vibration when you are hollowing end grain.

As for making the cut, you are correct, bevel rubbing and pointing in the direction you want to cut. Also roll gouge so that you can just see inside of bottom flute. You still have to cut with the grain. This only works on the outside of the box, inside the box is end grain and has different rules.

One box a week is putting yourself under preasure, good luck.

Ken W.,

if the day ever comes when your kitchen quality control officer decides to keep one of my pieces for your display, I'll be very, very, chuffed. :wink:

Tell Helen not to hold her breath though.... Can she wait another 4-5 years?

Now, I have learnt much on that little box and the one I did today. Plus the great tips from my Board mentors (plenty of them too!) Thanks, it is hard when you blunder along and make mistake after mistake on your lonesome. That is, catches! I won't use Murray pine again and will definitely shorten my holding piece. Great safety tips.

I put the 2x magnification on today (after a major catch on a lump of camphor laurel with the skew - anyone want one? - and things improved out of sight. So to speak.

After I get my little chisels with the Ken W. grind, I'll practice some more.

I also learnt that Shellawax is not a good finish if you only go to 400 grit (the Finisher's Handbook says as much). It was too late after I parted the top off on Box No. 6, but the 1500 grit paper on the base left the finish line-free.

Also, never fine tune the fit on the lid until you sand the inside!!!! :doh:

I'll post some pics tomorrow on Box 6 when the new batteries for the camera arrive.

My math tells me (based on a plan of a box a week), that I'm ahead of schedule. No pressure, though it did take some time to get started today. So Skew, you can put your calculator away at least for a week. Another box tomorrow and I'll take the rest of the month off.

Well, not really. After the Sharpening Weekend, I'm on a mission.

Why is it that once the lathe is running, all other thoughts (good or bad) disappear? I had curlies flying on the soft stuff today. I know it's soft, but I must be doing something right (at times) with the gouge. That said, the shed stinks of camphor. I don't like it at all.

Box no 7 tomorrow with any luck.

Just need to work out how to read calipers!

And thanks for all the feedback and advice.

Jeff

RETIRED
28th June 2009, 07:32 PM
Just need to work out how to read calipers!

Here you go Jeff.

YouTube - Vernier Caliper

jefferson
28th June 2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks .

I think I might need to travel down to your place for 3 more lessons. I've watched to demo over and over but still don't get it. (Down-load speed didn't help either).

Today, I used an electronic set plus the standard Verniers. Couldn't work it out though. Office worker's hands and mind.

Never mind, some more experienced hands are visiting later this week I think.

I must learn to use the calipers properly, along with sharpening, design, following drawings etc etc before I even get to turn the lathe on!

Damn camphor reeks even now in my nostrils. It's nice and soft and there's some pattern in the grain but is it all worth it?

Jeff

Sawdust Maker
28th June 2009, 09:52 PM
Nice little box :2tsup::2tsup: like the shape immensely

and damn something else to try :doh: