PDA

View Full Version : Where were you born?

Grunt
8th July 2004, 02:33 PM
Ok, where are all of you lot from then? Eh?

craigb
8th July 2004, 02:36 PM
'Straya. But where's the poll choices?

Grunt
8th July 2004, 02:40 PM
You're a bit to quick, took a bit of time to put the choices in.

glenn k
8th July 2004, 02:44 PM
I was going to reply to a survey :confused: where is it :confused:

Wongo
8th July 2004, 03:02 PM
Born in China (5 yrs)
Grew up in Hong Kong (14 yrs)
Maturing in Australia (15 yrs +)

:)

Rocker
8th July 2004, 03:25 PM
Born in the Old Dart; grew up beside the River Dart in fact (another wurzel).

Good to see that Wales gets the attention it deserves :)

Rocker

Bob Willson
8th July 2004, 03:55 PM
Good to see that Wales gets the attention it deserves :)
I used to know a woman who said that the only good thing that ever came out of Wales was the road going back. :)

Left England at 21 came to Australia and got too tired to move any more, what with all that sun, girls in bikinis (just coming in to vogue then) and jobs everywhere.

Gumby
8th July 2004, 04:46 PM
The planet Gumbarius. Take me to your leader......(please) :D

Zed
8th July 2004, 04:57 PM
Zivoli Hrvatska. jebi se srbski kurac!

(just joking... :D )

Tonyz
8th July 2004, 05:12 PM
New Zealand. Actually in the back of a car my dad had in his car lot.
Those were the days when as owner of a service station/car sale yard he still biked to work.
Years later by fluke chance I bought the same Morris 10

Eastie
8th July 2004, 05:21 PM
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, gaaaasp, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, gaaaasp, now we know who the pome’s are, ……. Grunt you truly are spectacular :D

-------------
it showed up before I voted :D

Termite
8th July 2004, 05:23 PM
Good old oz. 8 generations later and I've still got the chain marks. :D
Kind regards
Termite (clank)

Rocker
8th July 2004, 05:48 PM
I have never denied being a pommy bustard; we are regarded as such a precious species that the poms are trying to re-establish us in England.

Rocker

ozwinner
8th July 2004, 05:54 PM
From the planet Uranus. no! Its U-ran-us, not ur-anus.

Some peoples.

Cheers, Glug

Grunt
8th July 2004, 05:58 PM
Good to see that Wales gets the attention it deserves
I didn't even put my own country of birth in the list as there probably iaren't too many Columbian wood workers on this forum.

For the record my folks were Americans and Dad was a Columbian Drug Lord before it became fashionable.

Columbia: 2 years
Iran: 4 Years
U.S.A.: 4 Years
Perth: 23 years (Perth is country isn't it?)
Melbourne: 9 years

Grunt
8th July 2004, 06:00 PM

Got any Klingons?

nik
8th July 2004, 06:01 PM
Gees termite, 8 generations, that's a fair bit, like i think i'm around 3rd generation at most, then it goes back to german and irish and pommy and shudder...french (but just an ever so slight bit). You see i'm only arrogant 2% of the time (french), i'm complaining about something 32% of the time (pommy), the subject of many very bad jokes another 32% of the time (irish) and always trying to do everything perfectly and keep records of everything another 32% of the time (process of elimination leaves one more...German). Ohh and add to that last one, domination of the world (how could I forget). ohh and i read the polls and wongo, ozwinner, you better watch it coz i'm coming after your worlds next. What's Gumbarius like this time of the year?

Nik.

Sturdee
8th July 2004, 06:26 PM
Whilst I am an Australian I still have a great regard for the country of my birth and to see it lumped together with the other European countries whilst the United Kingdom is artificially separated into two choices is a bit rich :confused:

We might as well separate Australia into Victoria and the rest. :D :D :D On second thoughts probably a good idea. :p

So although not having a proper choice to vote on I am proud to announce that I was born in Amsterdam ( the pot smoking capital of the world :D ) which is in the province of North Holland of the Netherlands.

Peter.
Aussie Aussie Aussie - Hup Holland Hup.

ozwinner
8th July 2004, 06:31 PM
Peter.
Aussie Aussie Aussie - Hup Holland Hup.
Peter, you missed the m's out.

Al

Sturdee
8th July 2004, 06:41 PM
Peter, you missed the m's out.

Al

No, Al, I didn't. :)

It is the dutch equivalent to Aussie Aussie Aussie. :p

Peter.

Christopha
8th July 2004, 06:48 PM
I reckon you could remve the USA as an option because no-one is going to admit they were born there!! and insert Holland in its' place and then you could remove England and replace it with British Isles or even its real name... Whogivesatoss. ;)

ozwinner
8th July 2004, 06:53 PM
I reckon you could remve the USA as an option because no-one is going to admit they were born there!! and insert Holland in its' place and then you could remove England and replace it with British Isles or even its real name... Whogivesatoss. ;)
Good to see you are feeling yourself Sto....... er Chris.
You know its a bad habit, dont you? :eek:

Al

craigb
8th July 2004, 09:30 PM

Some peoples.

Cheers, Glug

Well then, you'd know that there are rings around Ur-anus :p

gatiep
8th July 2004, 09:58 PM
I saw the light in South Africa, um um um, and now live in the other half of Australia...............the best half by the way. As an EX south african I'm proud to call myself Australian and Australia my only home.

Wayne Davy
8th July 2004, 09:59 PM
Oz born but (like most/all of us) a bit of a hybrid (read mongrel).

Dad's side is 5 generations Oz with Welsh/Scot roots (keep it clean boys).

Mum was born in Boxmeer which is a little town in the province of North Brabant, Netherlands but came over to Oz when she was 16 so she's as Aussie as the rest of us.

Wayne Davy
8th July 2004, 10:05 PM
Oh, Sturdee, don't go speaking Dutch to me as I only know a couple of swear words (thanks to my Grandmother - God rest her soul)

btw If the poll does have an addition or two, it should be Netherlands not Holland. As Sturdee mentioned, Holland is incorrect as that would refer to either the North or South Holland provinces which are only 2 of the 12 provinces that make up the Netherlands.

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Netherlands#Provinces_.26_Dependencies

journeyman Mick
8th July 2004, 11:05 PM
Born in Amstelveen, just near Amsterdam in the Netherlands, came to Australia when I was 5, lived in Sydney for 15 years, in Kuranda for almost 23. Like Wayne and a lot of others am a hybrid, Dutch, Indonesian, Portuguese and Norwegian (that I know about, probably more) but I'm 100% Aussie. :D

Mick

Driver
8th July 2004, 11:18 PM
I rang me Mum and asked her and she said she found me under a gooseberry bush.

So I explained that I wasn't talking about the morning after my 21st.

Then she cottoned on and told me I was born at home in a small village (at least back then that's what it was) called Great Sutton on the banks of the River Mersey, midway between Chester and Liverpool in England. Between then and now I've lived in various places in England, in Scotland, Spain, the USA, Bahrain, Singapore and for the last 18 years in Australia - mostly in Perth but also for a short while in Sydney. I've been an Aussie for some years now but my accent still marks me as a Pom. (That's my real accent - not Captain Crabtree's - although he's also a Pom, of course).

Sturdee
8th July 2004, 11:29 PM
Oh, Sturdee, don't go speaking Dutch to me as I only know a couple of swear words (thanks to my Grandmother - God rest her soul)

Okay Wayne, but maybe you know this one. "Potverdomme" :D I wonder what the automatic swear detector will make of that one. :eek:

Peter.

Wayne Davy
9th July 2004, 12:08 AM
I very much doubt "Potverdomme" will get picked up. Nana used to say that all the time - takes me back. (pretty mild)

Pop once said "Godverdomme" in front of her. She gave him quite a look and said a lot of words that I did not understand then (know some now and she must have been pretty mad - Catholics)

silentC
9th July 2004, 10:14 AM
Geez, all that lot makes my origins rather un-exotic. I was born in Gippsland Vic. and came to Pambula Beach with my Parents when I was 7. I did live in Sydney for 16 years but woke up one day and asked myself why?

My Mum 'n' Dad were both born in Vic. Mum's dad was a pom (never met him, silly bugger died when she was 13), the other three Grandparents were Aussies. The generation before that all came from England and Scotland, some via NZ :eek:.

BTW Sturdee, there is a square and a tower bearing my family name in Amsterdam ;)

Sturdee
9th July 2004, 10:45 AM
BTW Sturdee, there is a square and a tower bearing my family name in Amsterdam ;)

Pity that only you and I know what it is called. Maybe you should come out and tell all. :p

Never knew that the founding fathers of Amsterdam had your family in mind when way back they named those features. :D :D :D

Now we better let the tread get back on track before the thread Nazi complains. :eek: So let's hear where others came from.

Peter.

silentC
9th July 2004, 10:54 AM
Never knew that the founding fathers of Amsterdam had your family in mind when way back they named those features

It's more likely that one of my ancestors worked there and took his name from it. For all the good that it does me now :(

jackiew
9th July 2004, 11:51 AM

going to New Zealand for a visit soon with my mum, apparently there is a road in Dunedin named after her relatives who emigrated out there so we're going to check it out :D

Apparently the South Australians are actively recruiting brits to emigrate to Adelaide at the moment. the bbc interviewed some SA residents to see what they thought of the idea. one of those interviewed said that it was ok as long as none of them moved in next door to them!!!

Eastie
9th July 2004, 12:47 PM
Born in the high country of Victoria (the place to be :rolleyes: ), moved to the low country, now travel between both. As for ancestry, I've a fair pint of Scottish blood flowing through me which gets topped up with single malt every now and then http://www.ubeaut.biz/beersmiley.gif

Rocker
9th July 2004, 04:27 PM
Jackie,

I think SA has a Soweto for poms, called Elizabeth, so that they don't have to live next door to them :) I believe you can only just make out the whining noise in the Adelaide CBD.

Rocker

bitingmidge
9th July 2004, 05:06 PM
there is a square and a tower bearing my family name

Ppppfffttt!!!
:D :D :D :D :D

silentC
9th July 2004, 05:32 PM
What kind of a silly name is that? It's not even a point!! Where's the point? :D

bitingmidge
9th July 2004, 06:03 PM
That's MY point!! :D

P

Caliban
9th July 2004, 11:56 PM
Darren
Aren't you a cricket fan?
He comes from silly point!

forunna
10th July 2004, 03:04 AM
Well, I was born right here on Perth. and Termite, those chain scars would be from when MY ancestors clapped the irons on your ancestors. hahahahaha. I think my roots go back to a guard on the second fleet and even a couple of drops of the original aussies in there somewhere too.(thanks to the same guard I think)

Caliban
11th July 2004, 11:39 AM
I had a professor at Uni who used to say that the female convicts were literally sitting on a gold mine. Sounds like forunna's guard ancestor thought so too. ;) I mean what else did they have to trade with?

Driver
11th July 2004, 10:08 PM
I had a professor at Uni who used to say that the female convicts were literally sitting on a gold mine.

I had a mate who used that as a chat-up line.

It never worked. He could never work out why . . . :confused:

Caliban
12th July 2004, 08:23 PM
Did he ever try the wog boy's secret line?
Or your by line of "good moaning"?
By the way, I've never been able to keep a straight face when anyone tells me their name is Naomi ever since I learned it says "I moan" backwards.

Driver
13th July 2004, 10:57 AM
Jim

Neither the wog boy nor the iloostriarse Captoon were a twinkle in their scriptwriters' eyes when this particular mate was putting himself about. He has long since settled down - found a nice girl on whom he never tried that line, had a couple of kids and retired into private life.

TOMARTOM
14th July 2004, 11:59 PM
Born in Alkmaar, North Holland, came to Aus in a apple box (crib) in a plane.

Is it true that all married Dutchmam are won in a raffle????

Cliff Rogers
15th July 2004, 12:39 AM
G'day.

3rd generation Queenslander.... :cool:

Great, great, great, grand olds on mum's side were squatters in cockroach land &
the great, great, grand olds on dad's side are from bludy Carlton in mexico.

For anyone outside Oz, cockroach land is a state, south of Queensland &
mexico is another one even further south.
Bludy Carlton is an Ozy Rules football team that was one of the original 8 teams.
(See, I know my family history) :rolleyes: 'car'n the blues'

Both sides of the family have been in Agriculture IE Grazing, Farming, Dairy &
a bit of Droving for more than a hundred years & here's me, a computer tech! :confused:

gatiep
15th July 2004, 02:03 AM
I don't believe that I am the only person from the dark continent on here. C'mon people, surely we can beat the poms in numbers.

Kris.Parker1
5th August 2004, 11:33 PM
AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI OI

goat
24th August 2004, 05:01 PM
born in tassie moved to qld for 5 years when i turned 18 then came back to tassie am tring to talk wife into moving to queensland again

Alastair
25th August 2004, 01:07 PM
What's this bloody "African country??"

Proudly EX-South African, and proud New Australian

Alastair

Roly
25th August 2004, 09:38 PM
Blaricum North Holland 9 years Sydney Australia 9 years Tumut 2years the world for another 3 Canberra for 32 and now I am in Gods own Country Batlow NSW. Hup Holland Hup

Roly

Iain
22nd October 2004, 09:21 PM
Born in Scotland, moved to England then lived 2 years in Switzerland before coming here in 1966.
Been here ever since apart from a few fly fishing trips to NZ, South America and Russia.
Too long in the RAAF and a funded holiday in Vietnam :mad:

Goonyella
8th January 2005, 09:23 PM
[QUOTE=Roly]Blaricum North Holland 9 years Sydney Australia 9 years Tumut 2years the world for another 3 Canberra for 32 and now I am in Gods own Country Batlow NSW. Hup Holland Hup

Roly[/QUOT

Born in Bundaberg Queensland Australia.

Roly my sister lived in the lovely town of Batlow for many years. She now lives in our capital (poor thing).http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon11.gif

baseball
21st February 2005, 07:44 PM
Born in Scotland, moved to England then lived 2 years in Switzerland before coming here in 1966.

Too long in the RAAF and a funded holiday in Vietnam :mad:
I too was born in Scotland, arrived in Oz in 1955.

Been here since except for a short funded trip to Vietnam and Singapore, followed by a career in the Army.

Now consider myself a true blue aussie. SWMBO is a 4th or 5th generation Aussie and the kids and grandkids are all Australian.

beejay1
21st February 2005, 08:06 PM
Born in Edinburgh Scotland. Lived in Aussie for 3 years then had to come back to UK. got married and stayed here, now living in Wales!!!!!!!! yes I know.

beejay1

http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

Woodlice
24th February 2005, 05:29 PM
Born Norsk, raised Norsk/Aussie. Breeding Aussies. :D

J!

beejay1
24th February 2005, 07:17 PM
not surprised there are no Vietnamese, you buggers wouldnt let them in.

beejay1

http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

routermaniac
25th February 2005, 08:46 PM
born in cyprus, have been here since year 7 with the whole family. Theres no place like Melbourne for variety in climate :D

Shaty40
26th February 2005, 12:41 AM
Born in the UK (Kent), come to OZ in nappies,went back to see where l came from (got drunk for five years) then came back to my real home.

Tim:D :D :D :D :D

Iain
26th February 2005, 07:58 AM
Theres no place like Melbourne for variety in climate :D
Dangerous turf, you'll start off the banana benders and sandgropers again, even though I agree with you :D :D :D