PDA

View Full Version : Pen manderel

Alan
8th July 2004, 09:14 PM
Just a quick question for you all, how much pressure should you put onto a pen manderel at the live centre end.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

gatiep
8th July 2004, 09:39 PM
There are basically two types of mandrels made by various manufacturers. One type has a nut, usually a brass thumb wheel ( my preferred type) that secures the tubed blocks on the mandrel for turning. Just screw up nice and tight and put the point on the live centre in the hollow at the end of the mandrel, with just enough pressure to spin the centre when the lathe runs.If you put your finger lightly on the live centre it should keep spinning. Too much pressure will bow the mandrel and you'll end up with non-semmetrical pens.

The second type needs the tailstock pressure to keep the tubed blocks from turning on the mandrel. If the tubes revolve on the mandrel while you are taking a normal cut, increase the pressure to a point where the blocks appear fixed to the mandrel. More pressure will have the same effect as in the first paragraph. On this mandrel more pressure is required than on the nut type mandrel.

Alan
8th July 2004, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the reply, I should make my question mor specific.
I have the type with the brass thumb wheel, how hare should I wind the tail stock up against the manderel.

Alan.

DavidG
8th July 2004, 10:13 PM
Just enough pressure to hold it nice and firm but not enough to distort the mandrel

gatiep
8th July 2004, 11:23 PM
There are basically two types of mandrels made by various manufacturers. One type has a nut, usually a brass thumb wheel ( my preferred type) that secures the tubed blocks on the mandrel for turning. Just screw up nice and tight and put the point on the live centre in the hollow at the end of the mandrel, with just enough pressure to spin the centre when the lathe runs.If you put your finger lightly on the live centre it should keep spinning. Too much pressure will bow the mandrel and you'll end up with non-semmetrical pens.

.Hi Alan,
The answer is in my reply quoted above. Sorry, I either didn't make myself clear or you didn't read the reply that I gave. Enjoy the pen turning...definately not rocket science mate.